Outfitter Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outfitter Question

Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone on here has hunted with Wyobraska waterfowl and if so how was your hunt?

Thanks
    SUCESS IS WHEN PREPARATION MEETS OPPORTUNITY!!

Never hunted with them but have never heard anything bad about that outfitter.
    They have cometh

Comment

I hunted snow geese with JJ 3 years ago. Excellent guide and top shelf hunting. I follow him on social media and his winter hunts in western NE/WY look even better.

Comment

Thanks, I have a hunt booked with him the 10th and 11th of December this year he looks to have a top notch operation. When the time comes I will get a report out on our hunt.

Comment

I doubt you'll be disappointed. Be sure to add some success pictures!

Comment

Will do, it can't get here soon enough. I just hope mother nature cooperates and the timing is right for the migration, but if not it will be what it will be still a good time!!

Comment

You would have timed the hunt perfectly in 2017.

Good Luck.

Comment

Yes we would have they said they were covered up with both ducks add geese that time last year so we will see how it plays out. It will be a special hunt for me no matter what the migration is like because it will more than likely be the last time I get to hunt with my brother. He is getting to the age that it is difficult for him to get out and do the things we once did together and he is the one that got me started on this addictive hobby dragging my 6 year old behind through the marshes of Cheyenne Bottoms to help put out and pick up decoys, practice on my calls (when there weren't any birds within ear shot) and sit on a marsh chair and watch him and his buddies shoot ducks. I was hooked the first time out and 50+ years later I am still hooked and I have him to thank for that. I hope we hit it right so we can stack em up but either way it will be a fun memorable trip.

Comment

My son is a guide for Angel Wing outfitters in Western Nebraska. One of the best out here. You may want to give them a chance.

Comment

We hunt the North Plate river on the WYO/Nebraska border. You cant swing a dead cat and not kill a goose from mid December to Mid January. You should be just fine...the colder the better.

Comment

• Luv2Decoy
                      Luv2Decoy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Dead cats are not a legal manner of take. You might want to edit that comment.

Well we will be on our way in a couple of days to hunt with JJ and the Wyobraska crew. I have talked to them a couple of times in the past two weeks and they said they have been killing limits most days but the days with little to no wind have been tough. I looked at the forecast for Torrington and it looks like the wind will be 10 to 15 MPH while we are there so we will see how it turns out. Either way it will be fun and will have a chance to meet some new people that love to hunt. I will send a report on how it went when I get back next week!!

Comment

We have been loosing quite a few of the smaller geese this past week. Hoping for a push of the big geese soon. Good luck!!

Comment

Well here is an update on our trip to Wyoming. First off conditions were tough to say the least warm temps and little to NO wind both days we hunted. The first day our set up was on a pond that was being kept open with ice eaters and we were targeting ducks and geese. There was pretty good activity for the first half hour on ducks but all were high and not interested. About 8:30 the geese started to move. The first single we had close didn't even circle and came in on a string we had already determined that we would shoot one person at a time on singles and doubles so my brother was first up and he stood up and stoned him right in the decoys, first goose he had shot in 30 years and did it with his old 20 gauge pump. I was next up and we had a single come in circle once and drop right in, of course I couldn't let my big brother show me up so when the shot was called it was a repeat performance, two geese in the bag with two shots and we all thought we were off to the races. The geese continued to fly and we had several bunches work good but with the lack of wind and it seemed like every time we had a small bunch of big geese working and committed we would have a big flock of lessers working above them and they would veer off and take the big geese with them. We worked several bunches of geese throughout the day but never got another bird to decoy. In Wyoming you can only hunt geese until 1:00 except on Saturdays and Wednesdays so from 1:00 on we waited for the ducks to move and they did, 2 minutes after legal shooting time and then there were clouds and I mean clouds of mallards going out to feed. I have hunted waterfowl for 45 years and I can truthfully say that I have never seen that many ducks in the sky at one time. So day one came to a close with 2 geese in the bag. The set up on day 2 was in a pit blind on a corn field just off of the eight mile portion of river refuge west of Torrington targeting only geese. Again not a breath of wind at shooting time, the first hour all the geese did was water hop up and down the river until about 8:30 and they started to come off in small groups before long the sky was full of geese in all directions. Like the day before we started off with two singles both one shot kills and again like the day before the small flocks of 6 to 12 would circle the decoys just out of range three or four times and never commit. Then at 10:30 the wind picked up and the geese started to decoy, we had several nice small bunches do it the way we wanted them to and ended the trip with several nice big Canada's on the ground. Even though it wasn't lights out both days we had a great hunt and hunting is just that hunting and you can't control the weather the guides were very good and personable and the dog work was very good. I will certainly do it again next year JJ has a top notch operation.

Comment

I like your upbeat attitude on your hunt. Most guys forget that not every day can be lights out tremendous.

Did you see many ducks working fields in the morning?

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I can't believe you had a calm day in WY. It seems the wind is blowing every time I'me there

Comment

Working...
                            X