9 DAYS of figuring out Turkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9 DAYS of figuring out Turkeys

I have 9 days coming up with little obligation other than what I want to do, and I’ve decided to figure out turkey hunting starting tomorrow. I got into hunting last summer after getting into archery. Had a successful bow hunt in mid October and now I’m hooked. I’m leaving from Omaha tomorrow and heading south toward Fairbury (honestly just b/c it’s the only tip I saw posted on here haha). I know there are plenty of spots closer, but I want to see what else is out there. I plan to just keep scouting until I get on some public land birds and then make a plan of attack at that point. Definitely going to be knocking on some doors though If I see some on private. I’m gonna be primarily bow, but have the shotgun with me Incase I feel like going that route once shotgun opens. I’m gonna post updates on here and hopefully lots of conversations, questions, tips, and learning take place (especially on my end). Here we go!

Of course my first post is in the wrong forum going to repost in hunting bye

Comment

• Flash04jv
      Flash04jv commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem. I'll move it for you. Welcome!!

Next couple of days should be good turkey hunting days with the warmer temps. Looks like another round of high winds later this week. Lots of birds can be taken on public grounds in this state.
    They have cometh

Comment

Let us know how you do, I'm learning as well just trying to scout as much land as possible. However its killing my gas fund

Comment

Yesterday I walked about 5 miles at 2 CRPs and a WMA. Also drove around to 6 other fields. I saw and heard nothing the whole day. I skipped a early morning start today since the weather was cold and the next few days look so pleasant. Scouting in the omaha area today since I have a turkey calling class tonight. I did find two fungi I hadn’t seen before. I will attempt to attach a photo if anyone can identify.

Comment

• scotcl
          scotcl commented
          Editing a comment
          First one appears to be a Hedge Apple - Not a Fungi
          Second one appears to be a misshaped puffball, but hard to tell since it appears to be small in size compared to the surrounding leaves

Well yesterday I rushed a shot and missed entirely. Man that hurts to do, especially after so much practice. Last night I found a roost at dark and set up about 200 yards away in an open field. I came in 30 minutes before sunrise to see someone setting up a blind 190 yards away from me and what looked like 20 yards from the roost. At about 9am they walked out with a turkey :-/. Public land hustle.

Comment

Working...
        X