X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nebraska CO Survey

https://unomaha.az1.qualtrics.com/jf...szyZnfKKIoiUfP

Please take the time for this survey for Nebraska Conservation Officers

Filled it out this morning. Doubt it'll change much though.
    They have cometh

Comment

Filled it out too. I think they are doing a great job and don’t see the need to increase the amount of officers or spending in that department. I think the money would be better spent increasing or mainting outdoor access/activities. But that’s just my opinion.

I realize many people on this forum want way more COs or at least the “vocal” ones do. So I realize that what I stated is not a popular opinion on this forum but that’s how I personally feel.

Comment

• Harold
        Harold commented
        Editing a comment
        Au, contraire, mon ami! I believe most "on this forum" are right with you (AND me, as well) but would like to see the "punishment" increased so as to make actually getting caught a deterrent!

With the current number of CO's, the "public" has made it clear that the odds of being caught (or even seeing a CO) is slim. We'd have PLENTY of CO's right now if the violators (as one example) were looking at losing their boat instead of a pissley (my word) $100 fine!
        Last edited by Harold; 02-09-2018, 05:37 PM.

It would be interesting to see the hours they work and what they are doing in those hours. Changes in those 2 areas would probably make up for no more officers.
      They have cometh

Comment

In my mid 40s and have never had any contact with A CO hunting and was checked 28 years ago by A CO while fishing. In over 30 years in the field, one encounter? Might as well not even have them. Most CO’s have such a large area, response time is a joke, that is if you ever can find one.

Comment

Originally posted by 10_point_buck View Post
          In my mid 40s and have never had any contact with A CO hunting and was checked 28 years ago by A CO while fishing. In over 30 years in the field, one encounter? Might as well not even have them. Most CO’s have such a large area, response time is a joke, that is if you ever can find one.
          This has been my experience too. I hunt/fish 99% public land at least once a week around the Lincoln area and have never been checked. Many of those areas are popular like Holmes Lake and Yankee Hill.

Comment

Maybe it’s your areas because in my area I’ve been running into them all over the last couple yrs. I don’t mind it though, it’s good to see them out doing their job.

Comment

• Harold
              Harold commented
              Editing a comment
              That's because in your area some idiot(s) keep shooting Bald Eagles. IF they get caught, hopefully the Fed Fines are more substantial than our NE Legislature provides for our State Wildlife...

I have been pulled over by police men only 4 times in the last 25 years. ...and I drive more than I hunt and fish.....OSHA has never checked me....I have been checked by A CO three times. I don't quite get this debate.........if you see a drunk driver call them in, if you see a building violation call them in, if you see a game violation call them in....Duh.....

Comment

OSHA and police are more likely to show up and do something about the violation. Hard to enforce the law, even when told, if you don't show up in a timely manner.
              They have cometh

Comment

I guess that is my point....there is going to be someone always breaking the law in any area .....at some point they will get caught. It would be interesting to see the CO per hunter/fisher compared to the police per resident numbers. I also believe the fines for game violations are megger, and increase in those would a be a little more of a deterrence for people that "think" they can get away with a crime.

Comment

The guys here do a great job. But they have way to much land to cover. Then they see the charges plea bargined down to save money.

Comment

My only experience with CO's was myself attempting to report a fishing violation at a local lake, called three different CO's for that county and the surrounding county none of which answered their phone or returned my call. They must be busy....

Comment

We don't any more CO's. We need more online services and APPs. As far as reporting violations in the field or on the waters just call 911 let them be the one who decides who handles the crime.

"THE MOST QUOTED USER IN 2014,2015,2016, 2017 and 2018"

Comment

Maybe, just MAYBE... SOMEDAY youze people will get the hint. Maybe. No bets because too many like to bloviate rather than participate. Simply:
                        CALL
                        1-800-742-SNAP
                        (7627)

Put this number in your cell phone for easy access when you recognize a Park/Fish or Wildlife violation. This number IS MONITORED (that means ANSWERED) by our THREE NGPC Law Enforcement Division ADMINISTRATORS.!

DON'T CALL 911 unless, of course it is a 911 EMERGENCY!

DON'T CALL YOUR LOCAL CO OR SHERIFF OFFICE OR STATE PATROL OR THE HALL MONITOR AT THE FACILITY FOR GAME VIOLATIONS if you want a guaranteed response. These Administrators know WHERE THEIR CO'S ARE, and can best find the "closest available" and depending on the violation, are best to make judgement on priorities!

ALL CALLS to the Game Thief Violation number is RECORDED and may be CATALOGED FOR FUTURE ACTIONS.

Many of us have "personal relationships" with some of our LEO's. Fine, nice to know. Keeps your actions above the law, I hope! But it is THEIR BOSSES that need to be aware of violations if not for an immediate response but for future activity as it is being recorded!

The SNAP number IS the "911" number for ALL WILDLIFE VIOLATIONS. The SNAP number is ALWAYS ANSWERED and is in fact ANSWERED BY ONE OF OUR THREE NGPC LAW ENFORCEMENT ADMINISTRATORS!

This program is NOT NEW, you can find the red stop-sign "Report Violators" stickers on EVERY FISHING LINE RECYCLING BIN installed across Nebraska by NEFGA.

IF you want a sticker, send me a PM with a MAILING ADDRESS and I'll send you one. You can also pick one (several) up at any Regional NGPC Office.

You don't want to call, so don't call. Don't beotch, either. You wanna call your CO Buddy? Fine, call your CO Buddy.
                        You wanna call the local Sheriff? Knock yourself out.

Call the SNAP number. You want a follow-up? Give them your number- one of the three WILL get back to you. If the closest CO is counting pelicans for a wildlife survey, and someone is stealing undersized fish from an area fishery... which job do you thimk the Super is gonna prioritize?

Click image for larger version  Name:	228373_197577576946044_3032412_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	15.2 KB ID:	1193001
                        Last edited by Harold; 02-17-2018, 03:44 PM. Reason: Edited to add pic
                        Report Fish/Game Violations:
                        1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

I agree that fines are too low and many cases get plea bargained down to nothing. I also feel that if people who are or are thinking of breaking the law know that there is stronger CO presence, they may just abide by the law on their own. I mainly hunt/fish in the eastern 1/3 of the state. In 30+ years to only have a single encounter with a CO in all those years, that is a problem. When a single CO is responsible for 4,5, even 6 counties, they are not going to be able to respond to much of anything and other LEO's have wildlife issues low on their list on concerns (heck even trespassing calls get little response from any LEO or CO). We can post all the phone numbers we want, but from what I have heard is that many/most outdoors people WANT more CO's and want them to do what they are being paid to do.

Comment

Working...
                          X