• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BigE #13.1

BigE commented
    11-30-2017, 07:15 AM
    Editing a comment

How dark was the breast meat on that light colored one? That is a huge bird with fantastic length....just wondering if he was super old.

The breast meat and all other meat was a normal color.

Comment

Thought I'd post another picture that better shows the lighter color on the rooster from 11-28-17. Sorry for the closed eyes on my dog in the picture. Guess he was tired!

Went out yesterday again...DRY and WINDY. Pheasants had their runnin' shoes on! Managed to get a couple with Cash's help. Logged quite a few miles for those two birds.

Comment

• BChunter
        BChunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, thats a blonde pheasant. My buddy had one mounted a few years back and was featured in NebraskaLand Magazine

Birds are out there just have to work for them !

Comment

• Tall Chief
        Tall Chief commented
        Editing a comment
        Some good looking dogs> Love the puppy!

Originally posted by icefishnut View Post
      Birds are out there just have to work for them !
      Looks like a rowdy crowd right there!

Comment

Impromptu pheasant hunt while checking trail cams this afternoon. Got out to open the gate and 2 roosters flushed and landed just up the fenceline. Got the dog and gun out, a short walk later I had this one down. The 2nd one never flushed so he's still out there!
        A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child fish.....

Comment

Originally posted by NECoyoteHunter View Post
          Hunted Southwest Nebraska (west of McCook) this past weekend for my first time ever. Two of us hunted hard and saw very few birds. Ended up with 4 roosters and 4 quail. From what I have heard about SW NE, I was expecting many more birds.
          In the past 3 years, I've hunted SW NE hard a few of times on mostly private ground.

I haven't seen near the # of birds out there that I used to see in NE or EC NE back when we had lots of CRP.

Back in the days, we'd see 2 to 3 hundred birds sitting, walking and flying around on any given day.

I've never seen that in SW NE.

Comment

I've been seeing quite a few birds in the past week or two in the central part of the state, but it's been tough hunting with the dry, warm weather. The warmer days I've been doing well around water early afternoon. Later in the afternoon, I've been having some luck on strips right next to corn/beans. Birds have been running though. Definitely have to work for em.
            "There's more fun hunting with the handicap of a bow than there is hunting with the sureness of a gun" -Fred Bear

Comment

I've been out 8-10 times so far this year, hunting only public land in Southeast/Eastcentral Nebraska. I've definitely seen more birds this year than I saw the past few years. It's been really hard to get on them though - a lot of long, wild flushes, and running birds. Like someone else said, this warm weather hasn't made things any easier (not to mention it's been rough on the dogs).
              A lot of birds I've found have been DEEP in the cattails on WPA-marked land. These should be really good to walk through once they freeze through.

Comment

Made my first trip of the year to the SW corner of the state last Thursday afternoon. I was heading out for the deer hunt and hunted along the way. I was solo with no dog, so my expectations were low. I was able to hunt four fields, three of them I had never hunted. Stumbled on quite a few birds in the first field. I crept over a little hill and saw a hen run for cover. I took off to where she was and scared up a large flock and was able to shoot one. After that the birds were pretty wild. I would come over a little hill and they would be flying from the other hill. Had one other rooster hold but missed him. Didn't see another bird until the final field while walking back to the car when two roosters flushed out of range. It was good to get out and see some birds. I keep on looking at the weather waiting for snow to hopefully improve my odds.

Comment

Originally posted by N8 View Post
                  Made my first trip of the year to the SW corner of the state last Thursday afternoon. I was heading out for the deer hunt and hunted along the way. I was solo with no dog, so my expectations were low. I was able to hunt four fields, three of them I had never hunted. Stumbled on quite a few birds in the first field. I crept over a little hill and saw a hen run for cover. I took off to where she was and scared up a large flock and was able to shoot one. After that the birds were pretty wild. I would come over a little hill and they would be flying from the other hill. Had one other rooster hold but missed him. Didn't see another bird until the final field while walking back to the car when two roosters flushed out of range. It was good to get out and see some birds. I keep on looking at the weather waiting for snow to hopefully improve my odds.
                  I am headed that way soon so this is encouraging!

Comment

Good day on private land in Seward County. Two guys and we shot three and lost one with one bonus quail. Landowner said there weren’t any birds in there when we asked!

Comment

Working...
                    X