Decoy question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Decoy question

With the recent run of ducks landing on my wetlands on the outside edge of the decoys, away from my blind, I have a question.

Has anyone ever set up their decoys on the wrong side of their pond/ wetlands away from their blind, in the hopes that the ducks would still land on the outside of the decoy set, thus putting them into shooting range?

Yep.However, this early in the season, there's probably something else wrong that's keeping them from working into the decoys.
    They have cometh

Comment

Yes is common here in CO to do this with geese. When the birds get stale or in high winds they will want to land away from the decoys. The birds you are hunting are likely locals and have no reason to land with the wad. I also agree something else could be wrong likely they are seeing your blind

Comment

You have a prob with your blind or your decoy set. Check your blind again and make sure its well brushed up. "Never enough" is a phrase we always use when grassing our blinds. How is your decoy spread set in relation to the wind? There is no magic pattern U, L, hook etc to use but without looking too "formationy" you still need a landing zone or kill hole for the ducks to land in. Otherwise if they don't have room or enough space and they can't work into the wind, they will land outside your blocks.

Comment

Thanks guys. Had a few more come in today. Still felt like locals, haven't got any big ducks yet!

Comment

Comment

Looks as if you have a hen spoonie and a bull sprig there. Big ducks for sure

Comment

I see 2 big ducks

Comment

That would be a big old smiling mallard

Comment

Working...
                  X