Ear protection while hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ear protection while hunting

Looking for some suggestions on what types of ear protection you use while hunting. My ears are shot and want to save the little hearing I have left. I wear muffs while shooting but nothing while actually hunting. Looking for something universal for blind hunting waterfowl to walking for pheasant and deer. I need to be able to hear others around me or birds flushing, but muffle the muzzle blast.
    Looking for a modest pair. Would $100 get what I am looking for? Muffs or buds? Any other details to look for?
    Thanks
    Butch

This is the pair I have for the last 4 years or so. They aren't anything special, but they work really well for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...ronic+earmuffs

Comment

I have the same muffs and like them. Can hear some sounds that I can't hear without them and they do a great job of protecting what you have left.

Comment

For pheasant hunting, I use the ear plugs that have the little "valve" that you can keep open. It blocks most of the noise, but not everything so you can't hear talking or flushing birds. I make my son wear a set as well.

i do use muffs for deer hunting because I'm not moving around. Walking around I find the muffs hot and uncomfortable.

Comment

I run a set of these that are about 8 years old, but just one of the sides still turns on now:

http://www.radians.com/radsite/index...?category_id=8

Some folks wear plugs under these but I've never felt like I needed to do that. I usually just turn them on the lowest setting and I hardly even notice I'm wearing them. I originally purchased them for pheasant hunting as I got tired of my ears ringing after shooting at flushing birds. I was worried that they would cut in and out when I got on the duck and goose calls, but I never ran into that problem. I always thought the sound seemed pretty close to real life and was never too tinny.

If I were you, I would go out and try a few different pairs on and see what you like. Good Luck!

Comment

I use a set of Walker earmuffs and have no complaints. I mainly waterfowl hunt though and they might be a little bulky for pheasant hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Deltaone9er View Post
              I originally purchased them for pheasant hunting as I got tired of my ears ringing after shooting at flushing birds.
              I must be lucky. I rarely have that problem regardless of what gun I'm shooting at live game. Must be the adrenaline. I do have that problem if I'm just target shooting.

Either way, it's a good idea. I have a pair of muffs that I bought a year or two ago. Not sure which brand but I haven't really used them.

Comment

If I am going pheasant hunting, there is no need...the loudest bang i'll hear is me chomping on gum. Otherwise, I second the https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...ronic+earmuffs. for the price, they are comfortable and very effective. Work great for shotgun (dove, trap shooting), but not quite enough for shooting a .223, I usually stick earplugs underneath them. Sound amplification is superb though.

Comment

Suppressors are the way to go. Started using one 3 years ago while hunting and will never hunt without one again. Now, everyone I typically hunt with has one as well. They are way more than a novelty, they are very nice to have for hunting/shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by rustyn View Post
                    Suppressors are the way to go. Started using one 3 years ago while hunting and will never hunt without one again. Now, everyone I typically hunt with has one as well. They are way more than a novelty, they are very nice to have for hunting/shooting.
                    I still stand by a $35 earmuff fix and don't see suppressors as a cost effective alternative to hearing protection. However, I am all for the Hearing Protection Act, even though a .223 is still not within a safe sound level even suppressed.

Comment

I use a pair of these now. I've had experienced a ruptured eardrum before because of a malfunctioning electronic earmuffs. I double up with these now under my earmuffs just to make sure. They're from a company called Big Ear. I know this is an old thread but I think you should check em out.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDm47bA9oEA&t=27s

Comment

I use cotton balls

Comment

https://usa.palmettostatearmory.com/...SABEgJPafD_BwE

No complaints while using these. Pretty cheap too.
                          Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishingnerd33 View Post
                            https://usa.palmettostatearmory.com/...SABEgJPafD_BwE

No complaints while using these. Pretty cheap too.
                            I used these same ones dove hunting. They were very comfortable and I could hear all of the sounds around me.
                            "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" ~ Lee Wulff

Comment

Decibullz - Custom Molded Earplugs- usually on Amazon for $25-$35

This is what I use. It's a lot like a mouthpiece where you warm it up in boiling water and then mold it to fit your ear. I use these for target shooting and waterfowl hunting, really like them.
                              2014/15 Hunt Total: 141 Doves, 72 Ducks, 38 Canada Geese, 10 Snow Geese.

Comment

Working...
                              X