Burns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burns

Just an fyi, although im sure this was posted. I went down to alexandria wma and meridian to look for turkeys. Alexandria had a controlled burn going and had been burnt earlier this week in another area. Meridian was freshly burnt as well. Needless to say with controlled burns going recently, we did not any sign of turkeys.

Keep an eye on it though, they may surprise you. When I worked down there on burns we'd often see turkeys right back in the black as soon as it burned. The burn eliminates the thatch which opens up new food sources for them, and so they get in there looking for food shortly after the burn is done. They'll be back so keep looking.

Comment

I agree 100% with Nate, the same would happen when we burnt around Medicine Creek, Red Willow, and Swanson.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I kinda wondered. Im happy to see it done, i know it made a huge difference at gilmour and am curious to see the effects on powderhorn this weekend. Does anyone know what they are gonna plant at meridian wma?

Comment

Yeah, I'd be all over that burn. I've finished burns before, changed my shirt, and tried to call one in.

Comment

OG, contact Brad Seitz at NGPC to figure out what they're planting.

Comment

I dont think i can get my hunting party there this weekend as we only heard to gobbles around the wma sunday morn but i may make a run down there for shotgun opening

Comment

Working...
              X