No announcement yet.

Sky Carp will be here soon!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cant believe how many geese are already in this state. We are a solid 2 weeks ahead of the normal migration. Many of the guides haven't even set up or are just setting up. They are well behind the curve currently.

My current belief from what I have observed is the snows, for the most part, are bypassing Squaw Creek and coming straight to Nebraska because of the favorable conditions.

Comment

Went from Cozad to Kearney a couple days ago, plenty of them in that stretch of river bottom land. Long, half mlle lines of 'em ending in a "spiral staircase" descending into corn fields along the river.

Comment

We got into some birds this weekend but nothing to write home about. I think we ended up with around 60 birds but most from jump shooting. The decoy spreads just aren't producing. Hoping this storm forecast at the end of the week stalls the migration so we end up with a pile of birds for weeks.

Comment

From what I'm seeing the peak numbers have already passed us and are in the Dakotas. Maybe this weekends storm will turn them around.

Comment

Originally posted by elkstalkr View Post
            I cant believe how many geese are already in this state. We are a solid 2 weeks ahead of the normal migration. Many of the guides haven't even set up or are just setting up. They are well behind the curve currently.

My current belief from what I have observed is the snows, for the most part, are bypassing Squaw Creek and coming straight to Nebraska because of the favorable conditions.
            Stalkr, I lived in Beatrice from 2009 until 2014 and in that time it appeared as though Squaw Creek was not the preferred migration route any longer. In the early years there they went straight over Beatrice on the way to the Platte. Later, and now, I see them going through northern Kansas to Lovewell, and then from there to Kearney/North Platte and skipping most areas east of GI. I'm not sure if this is the new migration route and it's shifted, don't know for sure just pondering and postulating.

Comment

I would agree with you duck. The years we have the best hunting in my area around Utica are the slow migration years. I believe they spread our along the length of the Platte River as north travel is slowed.

Comment

Saw a facebook post from Funk WPA saying that there were snows around but that the bulk of them are sitting in the eastern basins. My thought is: WHERE? It's been quiet in Hamilton County as of the last few days. We'll see what the snow storm brings, I'm kind of hoping birds push back into the eastern basins again. Good luck if you get out after them.

Comment

around grand island is the place to be for snows!

Comment

I haven't been seeing them around GI much, maybe I'm heading through at off times. I saw a bunch a few weeks ago but nothing exciting as of late; I guess I'll have to keep looking. Thanks

Comment

the 2 sand pits just south of South Walmart was white every day last week with birds going from one pit to the other and back to a corn field on same property which we have a blind on one pit but waiting for the right time
                      Last edited by crappie_eyes; 02-26-2017, 11:23 PM.

Comment

The recent snow storm pushed a lot of birds back south. Hoping they hang around long enough to hunt this coming weekend!

Comment

Various social medias are reporting the Utica area is loaded with snow geese, you should be able to get a good forum member hunt now.
                          They have cometh

Comment

Originally posted by Alex T. View Post
                            Various social medias are reporting the Utica area is loaded with snow geese, you should be able to get a good forum member hunt now.
                            It was decent for a couple guys but we never had the birds here like past years. DU and NG&P closed one large water area and the geese figured it out very quickly. I only had birds on my water/field 2 days this year. My "great fields" from years past just didn't produce with the birds roosting several miles away. Time to start getting new permission closer to the refuge.

Comment

Don't put the toys away yet boys. Still plenty of birds available. Shot my first banded bird of the season this past Sunday.

Comment

Holy cow... I literally saw thousands of snows today. Three huge flocks in the fields, even saw road killed one on the shoulder right by a huge flock. They are everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X