Ice Fishing Clothing Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice Fishing Clothing Thread

The other thread on ice fishing I started got me thinking about the clothing to wear on the ice. What have you all found to be the best stuff to keep you out on the ice when the mercury drops?

Base Layer

Under Armour cold gear on top, Rocky mid weight fleece pants.

Insulating layer

Thermal Henley/Hooded Sweatshirt on top, Microfleece sweatpants on bottom.

Outer Layer

Waterproof Parka with zip in fleece liner

BPS Insulated bibs

Boots/Socks

Wicking liner socks
    Cabela's Wool Hiking Socks

Rocky 1000 gram waterproof boots
    Last edited by Fishingnerd33; 09-13-2010, 03:36 PM.
    Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Here's what i wear.

Ski socks inside Wolverine thinsulate work boots covered with lined rubber steel studded overboots. My base layer is usually cheap old long johns and a couple extra shirts. A rabbit for the head and the final covering is my Arctic Armor Ice suit and some Columbia Snow Board gloves. Come on ice!!

The only 2 things keeping me from going pro are skill and luck.

Comment

I carry a HUGE duffle bag in my truck all winter. It has everything I need for 30 degrees to -30 degrees. The one constant are my Sorel boots, my insulated coveralls and either a fleece over a hooded sweatshirt or my winter coat over that. It all depends on the temperature and the wind. Dont get caught up in one get-up because you dont want to roast and sweat - that is when you get cold. Adjust your outerwear to the conditions.

Comment

Wool works good, but you do not want that for your base layer. Use some quality "under-gear" for your base layer; some wool over the top of that, and then if it gets really cold some bibs and a parka over the top of that. A good vest will help to keep your core warm and that is very important.

Spend as much as you can afford on pac-style boots. When you are standing on the ice, you need good footware to keep your feet warm.

And do not forget the fur hats!!!!! Nothing is warmer and they look good too!M_wink:

Daryl Bauer
        Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
        Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
        daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
        http://barbsandbacklashes.wordpress.com/
        Daryl Bauer
        Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
        Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
        daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
        http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

And a good tip for bibs is to use a putty knife and spread some urethane caulking on the knees. It makes them waterproof and they will not wear out. It also provides some anti slippage while kneeling.

Comment

I think the most important things you can have is quality boots, once your feet get cold, it can really ruin your day. Next is a good hat, I wear a seirus face mask, the best 30 bucks I ever spent. Most of the heat in your body exits through your head. Seirus hood I wear
            If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Comment

I wear wool socks and Muck boots and my feet were never very cold last winter. Totally water proof and the neoprene lining really keeps you warm. Otherwise I just wear some insulated bibs and layer shirts, fleeces, and jackets/coats depending on the weather. I'll have to try the caulking on the knees, I've heard construction guys do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Glens View Post
                It also provides some anti slippage while kneeling.
                Do you mount shards of glass in the knees while the caulk is still wet? I almost need crampons to kneel down if there is no snow cover, otherwise great advice and an even better fashion statement (especially if you use the chocolate milk colored stuff I did).
                "There's three things in this world that you need: Respect for all kinds of life, a nice bowel movement on a regular basis, and a navy blazer." ~Parry

Comment

I am in construction. Our guys have been doing it for years. There was a Carhartt event at The Fort in Lincoln maybe 12 years ago. A guy from Carhartt stopped one of our guys and took pictures of his knees. He said it was a great idea but didn't like that the knees do not wear out. Gotta sell more product.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwardo View Post
                    Do you mount shards of glass in the knees while the caulk is still wet? I almost need crampons to kneel down if there is no snow cover, otherwise great advice and an even better fashion statement (especially if you use the chocolate milk colored stuff I did).
                    Another thing we have done is use a little foam expansion joint (maybe 5" wide by 10" long) inside of the Carhartt double knee. You roll it up tight and slip it in. Then work it around to unroll it and you have a built in knee pad. You can buy one but it costs about nothing to use the expansion joint, or sill seal that the housebuilders use under the bottom plate.
                    Last edited by Glens; 09-13-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

2000 gram cabelas boots and then put sheetmetal screws in the bottom for traction. Way better than any cleats you will ever own.I always had cold feet till I bought these. My feet havent been cold in 4 years now.

Comment

Pretty awesome stuff around now compared to the long johns and chaps I wore 20 + years ago. In that amount of time I have tried several combinations, many of which were very warm but the bulk & weight limited mobility. With today's clothing it is totally possible to fish in -30* windchill for 8 hours without a shelter, and not feel like a marshmallow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66b8e...eature=related

Fishing with 4 boys, we have to stay efficient, including clothing, or there is no way we would all fit in one rig. Good outer wear with warm breathable base layers keep even the 10 year old warm all day. It's easy to take off a layer when you warm up, but hard to stay warm without good clothing to start with. Several outer wear suits available for ice fishing. We use StrikeMaster and Ice Armor. Both are very warm and have extra padding on the knees and butt. Ice armor has a better water proof fabric.

I would agree, boots are very important. All the boys have Mickey boots, I swear by the Cabalas Trans Alaskan III. Not as heavy a boot as Mickeys and will keep moisture away from your foot. The boys get Trans AK III ..........when their feet quit growing.:aawhistling:

dc

Comment

Originally posted by Edwardo View Post
                          We don't do this because we work on painted metal roofing, but a person could put sand on the urethane when it is still wet to provide a sandpaper like finish for better traction on clean ice.

Comment

The best boots I've EVER worn onto the ice are the military issue "bunny boots." Also known by some as "Mickey boots." They're completely waterproof, and toasty warm.
                            Oh man! I just shot Marvin in the face!

Comment

What I need to add to my arsenal are a good pair of boots. I've gone through several pairs of decent boots but have never owned any good boots, let alone great boots. On top of those boots, something that hasn't been mentioned is a good pair of cleats. I said all winter last winter that the Kahtoola Micro Spikes are the best I've ever found.

There are a bunch of good ice fishing specific suits out there now, I wear the blue suit by Ice Armor and have no reservations about saying that it's because Recycled Fish is sponsored by them, but also that I've been warmer, drier, more mobile and generally had a lot more fun since I started wearing it.
                              NEFGA is endorsed by Recycled Fish

You can be a Fish Recycler too...let 'em swim.
                              Recycled Fish

Comment

Working...
                              X