Will we be ice fishing this weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will we be ice fishing this weekend?

Thoughts? I was on Czechland yesterday there was about 15 inches of ice.

I am thinking no. 2marrow and Thur will destroy the ice. I saw ponds w open edges today. I hooked the boat up to chargers. Its ready to roll Sat am w any luck.

Comment

There should be plenty of ice to fish on.... if you can get to it. This weather tends to open up the edges which makes it tough to get to the fishable ice. 15 inches of ice takes a lot to go away. May have 6 inches of crappy ice on top of a couple inches of good ice in the middle. The end is near unless you drive North.

Comment

I walked thru mid calf high water to get off of wanahoo last night . Found out for certain that my sled floats.
        I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. -Sam Redfern

Comment

I'll be spending this weekend as "transition weekend"....getting all the ice gear stored away and cleaning up and organizing the boat. I've had the batteries on trickle charge rotating since January so should be ready to rock once the ice clears! I'm ready for the switch. It was a great ice season but it's time to move forward!
          "Man should fish for sport. I don't fish for meat. Fish meat is practically a vegetable" --Ron Swanson

Comment

Hard to say for sure. This weather is definitely going g to put a hurting on the ice. With all the runoff and 72+ hours above freezing it will be melting from the top and the bottom. I'm sure there will be fishable ice out there. Just depends on how bad you want to find it.

One thing us for sure. I'm not going to depend on internet reports to decide if I'm going out or not. I'm going to find out for myself.

Comment

• whitetips
              whitetips commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen!

Daryl B.

You'll need waders to get on and off but it should be around for a few more days. What does everyone target first besides cats after ice out?

Comment

• jebbers2016
              jebbers2016 commented
              Editing a comment
              Largies

• MildredBonk
              MildredBonk commented
              Editing a comment
              Badgers!

• Fish On
              Fish On commented
              Editing a comment
              Wipers

I am betting there will be fishable ice somewhere in Nebraska this weekend and for some time after that.

However, as always, you have to be sure the ice is safe every time you walk on it, and on late ice, you better be checking it continually through the day!

Edges always get soft first, and yes, I have used waders or a plank to get on the ice.

Spud bar, know it, love it, USE IT!

Daryl B.

Daryl Bauer
            Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
            Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
            [email protected]
            http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

You might be able to get out on some places this weekend but it will be wet and sketchy.... by next weekend I’m thinking most lakes will be wide open

Comment

Charging up the boat batteries as I type.
                Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Yep threw in the towel on ice fishing for the year after seeing how the last couple days have transpired. Would have preferred to be fishing this weekend but bring on the open water. If we can get a few solid weeks of warm weather now all will be good.

Comment

I knew I was done after last weekend, but glad I enjoyed the last day slop and waders free.

Comment

Drove to PQ and WC today and found the ice about 8 ft from the shore and open water in the trees. I,m crossing those lake off my list. Anybody looked at Wanahoo or the Z? I sure would like to get out a time or two.

Comment

I haven't been out to check Walnut Creek, but if I were going to, I wouldn't start at the boat ramp anymore. Once the boat ramp ice access is gone, though, there are a few other spots on the lake that usually allow access for a while longer. This year's weather has been anything but standard, though. I will be there with my spud bar sometime soon! (and ready to turn around and head back home if the conditions call for it)

Comment

Wanahoo is done for ice fishing,it got flooded pretty bad yesterday,and last night. The water went over the trail to the walk bridge. I was out there at lunch time today

Comment

Working...
                          X