Spud bar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spud bar question

I own an ice scraper/chopper that I picked up at Menards to try and un jam the icy lake known as my street, would this work as an ice spud or probably not a good idea? If not, I will be buying an spud bar, any suggestions?

Don't think that has the weight necessary to mimic a spud bar. You really need something that causes blunt force trauma to the ice.

Comment

Mine for example weighs 11.5 lbs. The end has an angled chisel. The point is to whack the ice and get to know how good ice sounds/feels.
      Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

I will "third" what has already been said:

Not heavy enough!

Spud bars are not expensive!

Daryl B.
        Daryl Bauer
        Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
        Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
        [email protected]
        http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

I’ve used one from
          menards for years. Yeah they are lighter but if you have a feel for it you’ll be fine. For example mine takes 2 hits to go through bad ice but at this point I know on the first it’s not safe. I’d recommend going slower though.

Comment

My 25 year old spud bar!
            Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

I use a long pry bar with a hooked end, so it looks sort of like a cane, but the straight end is chisel-tipped. I would agree with the others that an ice scraper needs more weight behind it to be an effective spud bar.

Comment

I picked up a guys spud bar,it was a broom with a pointed handle,found it on the ice,so probably a good thing! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Zeak51 View Post
                  I picked up a guys spud bar,it was a broom with a pointed handle,found it on the ice,so probably a good thing! LOL

Was there a hole in the ice nearby that was large enough for a human to fall through?

ClearCreek

Comment

Working...
                  X