Ice thickness near Omaha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice thickness near Omaha?

Curious what the ice thickness is like on places like Wanahoo, Werhspann, etc? I’m contemplating heading out this weekend if the ice is thick enough and the weather is good enough.

Well as long as you don’t plan on driving a tank on to the ice you should be fine anywhere but the snow is really deep and going to be sticky with the melt so plan on going lite

Comment

Lol that cracked me up

Comment

Walnut Creek (Papillion) had 12+ inches of good ice with some integrated frozen snow-pack stuff on top of that for a grand total of 16 inches of stuff to drill a hole through. That was tonight (Friday, March 8)

Comment

Holmes Lake in Lincoln had 16" of ice this week! I'm sure the rain and warmer temps will affect the ice conditions...

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Wanahoo ice is overall good but still has many areas of 5-6 inch ice under the snow pack throughout the trees. Not sure how fast those areas will go bad with the rain this week. Prairie has some areas of inconsistent ice also. Everything I found at Wehrspann was almost in need of an extension on my auger.

Comment

• NateWC
                NateWC commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm Mr. "Hand auger only" because I live at the southern edge (or maybe south of the southern edge) of the ice belt, so while it's nice to have ice, I chuckle a little every time I get to the 30th turn on the auger (my Lazer cuts about a half inch per turn, and I've been getting into the low 30's the past week).

• 4allfish
                4allfish commented
                Editing a comment
                After fifty years of ice fishing, I finally bought a power auger three seasons ago. My shoulder just could not do the hand auger any more

NateWC I bet you chuckled at Prairie Queen yesterday. I cut 5 holes and it was difficult for my 8" hand auger. I had 15” overall but the top 8” was soft slush ice and the bottom 7” was chunky and hard to cut.
              Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Originally posted by Flicted View Post
                NateWC I bet you chuckled at Prairie Queen yesterday. I cut 5 holes and it was difficult for my 8" hand auger. I had 15” overall but the top 8” was soft slush ice and the bottom 7” was chunky and hard to cut.
                Took one of my boys up to Summit today for the afternoon. Lots of chuckling there - the ice was variable between 12" and 18" and we went all over that lake looking for fish, but it wasn't our day. No skunk, but an awfully low holes:fish ratio. A lot easier to find them at Prairie Queen yesterday.

My son (all 5'2" and 80 lbs of him) cut 5 holes and he had never cut a hole in the ice all the way through before in his life. I think next season he'll be good for 20 through 6 inches of ice!

Comment

Working...
                X