Lower Panfish Limits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Panfish Limits?

With advancements in the technology of sonar systems, many more fish are harvested through the ice and open water. Is it again time to reduce panfish limits to adjust for the increased harvest level?

I would be for it. But then again electronics have been out for a long time and lakes seem to be managed very well where I fish.

Comment

I'd be up for a 5-fish panfish limit.

Comment

• Harold
        Harold commented
        Editing a comment
        Which for some will mean three times a day, who knows how many days a week.

What (where) is the deterrent?

Until the courts show there is a serious need , POACHING of our fish will be a slap on the wrist, at best.

Changing the laws, FISHERY SPECIFIC with a ROPE* for the violators, problem solved.

Harold F.

* OK, ROPE might be a bit strong... take their equipment/license, BOAT if the action justifies

• rweye
        rweye commented
        Editing a comment
        you call in those people with more than 2poles,over the limit (THE SNAP #800-742-7627)give that info to who ever answers and next time you go back out there they are again doing the same thing and you call again. I have heard that some violaters "so what i'll just pay the fine 'IF' I get caught", RAISE THE FINES BOTH HUNTING AND FISHING!!!!

I'm catch and release only thru the ice and only a few choice keepers to eat on open water. Maybe we need hard water and open water limits
      FISH WITH TEETH ROCK

Comment

• NateWC
        NateWC commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm catch and release completely during open water, with a few choice (see below) keepers to eat during ice season, so I cancel you out

I would support a 5-panfish limit, but of course (as Harold's comment says) this will just be for those who are already respectful of the law and the resource.

Because there are indeed those people that already respect the law and the resource, though, it will make a difference, even if it's not exactly fair to all.

I would especially encourage action on some of our more "destination" (perhaps too strong a word) lakes. So far (fingers crossed), I haven't had a *bad* panfish season on Walnut Creek (Papillion) in the 10 years I've been fishing it, although some years are better than others for crappie and some years better than others for bluegill. Maybe that means we're fine in the Omaha metro with a 15-panfish limit.

I selectively harvest (bluegill over 9" always released, crappie over 12" as well) about one daily limit per year out of that lake, on average. But that's just my personal thing to do (or not do). I have been impressed this winter with the number of times I have been checked for my license, so I hope that NGPC keeps the enforcement level up at it's current (seemingly new, although the CO told me in person he "hasn't changed anything" when I asked if enforcement was being dialed up a bit) level.

Nate

Comment

Nice to hear you have been checked several times in the field. I haven't been checked fishing since the summer of 2001. I personally don't know anyone who has kept more than 1 or 2 limits over the last year. I had a buddy out from Wyoming last year and he went home with 2 limits of crappie. He only gets out here every other year so it's a big deal to take some home. I kept one meals worth last spring for my family. We use white bass and walleye for our fish fry fillets. Long story short, I could care less if the limit was changed as it wouldn't impact what I kept.

Comment

We only keep them during the winter. We need something for the Friday night fish frys this time of year. Lent. We would love to see a five panfish limit. My wife and three girls can burn through the fish. They all have their lifetime fish permits as well, although we keep 8 walleyes, 30 perch and 30ish crappies between all of us for Lent. Just got my new fryer for tomorrow night. Nothing else kept during the year.

I don't like to eat fish anyway. Just love the sport.

Please lower the possession limit.

Comment

Originally posted by HAVVY View Post
            We only keep them during the winter. We need something for the Friday night fish frys this time of year. Lent. We would love to see a five panfish limit. My wife and three girls can burn through the fish. They all have their lifetime fish permits as well, although we keep 8 walleyes, 30 perch and 30ish crappies between all of us for Lent. Just got my new fryer for tomorrow night. Nothing else kept during the year.

I don't like to eat fish anyway. Just love the sport.

Please lower the possession limit.
            you don't seem alone on this, BUT as recently as 10 years ago the panfish limit was 30....and I don't see much better panfishing than before the change. Now we want to go to a 5 fish limit? In a few years I guess some of us will perhaps propose a 2 fish limit idk?
            I don't keep many fish but imho a 5 fish daily panfish limit is far too low. 15 fish limit is working fine it seems imho.

Comment

When I hear certain phrases like “hammered them “ and such it always causes me to think of greed or at least lack of conscious about a limited resource . Self governance only works for the conscientious.

Comment

Fishery specific with enforcement. Thats what would work. I keep fish. My wife and i use my hunting and fishing results as a basis for our diet. Its a healthier option in my opinion. I never seem to catch a full limit of keeper panfish anyway. I dont fish nebraska so i dont have skin in the game though. The video daryl posted a while back with the ice fisherman discussing slot limits seemed to make a lot of sense.

Comment

• Harold
                  Harold commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What is considered "keeper"? Some definitions can quickly destroy a small fishery.

Unfortunately "big enough to eat" is NOT the preferred "daily limit".

I have no problem with fisherman keeping as many fish as they will eat and is lawfully allowed by the state. To each his own and don't feel we should look down on others that are obeying the law and enjoying the resource in their own way . Everyone out there has bought a liscense just like you and I to support your state fisheries. In Kansas most lakes are 50 crappie. If I want to keep a mess of fish to eat with family and friends I will. Your state has alot to offer the sportsmen, so get out and enjoy it and leave the regulations and limits to the guys that get paid to make these descions.

Comment

• Harold
                  Harold commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "To each his own" was a good start, and then your comment (in MY opinion) went downhill! I bought a LICENSE and believe I have an equal responsibility to promote OUR fisheries management.

In Nebraska, anyway, DECISIONS are made by OUR Game and Parks Commission with considerable input from the Public.

If you "have a problem" with those of us that are promoting CATCH AND RELEASE, SELECTIVE HARVEST, or even promoting the FISHERY as the LIVEWELL rather than the freezer, then you are aborting your own "to each his own" philosophy.

Of course, that may only be MY opinion.

This keeps coming up. I took the time last time to research the panfish laws across the country. Im all about conserving and taking care of our resources, however, it appeared to me that we already have the strictest panfish limits in the country. If someone can prove me wrong I would love to see it.
                I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. -Sam Redfern

Comment

Originally posted by Deadhead Dave View Post
                  This keeps coming up. I took the time last time to research the panfish laws across the country. Im all about conserving and taking care of our resources, however, it appeared to me that we already have the strictest panfish limits in the country. If someone can prove me wrong I would love to see it.
                  I was just about to post the same thing. We have very strict limits already, what would a 5 fish limit even do? Are there examples of lakes getting over fished to the point of negatively impacting the fishery currently? I personally can't think of any.

Comment

• Deadhead Dave
                    Deadhead Dave commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I quite literally looked up every states panfish limits. We are definitely the strictest. There are a couple that only allow ten, but its ten each: perch, crappie and bluegill. Still 30 a day total. Not saying that I would like it to be more. But if we lower it to five then someone will start another thread for catch and release only. At some point some fish do need to be harvested. This is from someone who has kept maybe 25 fish in Nebraska this ice season. Definitely throw back way more than I keep.

I feel like lake specific regulations to create some trophy fisheries would be great. I would be first in line to fish them.

Originally posted by Bass-Assassin View Post
                  Are there examples of lakes getting over fished to the point of negatively impacting the fishery currently? I personally can't think of any.
                  I could name several. Perch fisheries can and have been exploited very quickly, like within a few months.

OGCollard has the optimum solution with specific regulations per body of water, but that is simply not going to happen in the foreseeable future. IMO a 15 pan fish limit probably best serves the entire state overall.

Comment

• Fish On
                    Fish On commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don, of the several lakes you can think of that have been exploited how many have possession limits of 15 or less?

Enforcement is the key to all of this. We pay biologists with a lot of education to keep the resources viable for the future generations. If you want to keep your limit you should if you practice catch and release great I do both. But to think that we all know what’s best for the fisheries is ludicrous at best. It is all in self interest. Maybe we should put a minimum 8 point restriction on deer to promote more trophy bucks that would be awesome! I know the last is off topic but it’s the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X