Ice anchoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice anchoring

In the past seasons not had to think about this. So you go out get to your spot. Are y’all shoveling snow out of the way? So then you get down to the frozen slush I am hearing about. Do you anchor your pop up through the slush? Just haven’t need to think about a pop up before.
    Keep it safe! JDL

Last time I went to Prairie, there was about 8-10" and I shoveled it out of the way. There was no slush then. But it also wasn't very windy so I got by with just one anchor and snow on the skirt (Hub shelter). When I fished Standing Bear the next weekend, I scooped snow but there was wet slush under the snow so I didn't even set up. Just fished in the open that day.
    Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

My general "rules" for anchoring are:

1) If the wind is up or forecast to pick up, I put anchors in.

2) The number of anchors I put in depends on how fast the wind is blowing (or forecast), AND how well the "ice" is holding the anchors.

If I'm putting anchors into solid ice, I can get by with fewer than if I'm anchoring into frozen slush with all kinds of air pockets in it. I just go by "feel" as I'm putting the anchors in. It's kind of like the difference between putting a screw into a 2x4 vs. putting a screw into particle board. The more like "particle board" it feels like, the more screws I use.

I didn't use anchors much at all until one night a few years ago, set up in the dark with no wind and then the fish started biting and before long it was past time to go home and the wind was blowing 25. Just about lost my shelter that night, and I was prepared to watch it blow away because there was a good-sized open water hole about 200 yards downwind. My heart was beating FAST. Anyway, when it comes to putting in anchors while setting up, I just remember how I felt taking down that night.

Comment

Well said.
        Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

I've seen people have 12-16in 1-2in pvc pipe works really well with lots of slush or those hurricane days.

Comment

• Tpodraza
            Tpodraza commented
            Editing a comment
            ive also seen them with anchors drilled in the middle with a metal carabiner snap spring clip

pipe setup is what i use but drilled just one hole off center to one end so when i give it enough slack it tilts enough to lift out of hole. works great
          FISH WITH TEETH ROCK

Comment

We never use to use ice anchors either...... then one time at Wehrspann, the wind kicked up, the icehouse took off (with us in it), a couple of broken combos later and the ice house smashing into a tree, we decided to use anchors. They are a necessity when it is windy!!
            ​Go Big Red!!

Comment

I guess I could have been more clear. So my Eskimo ice anchors are 5” long, if there is 6” of slush they won’t get to the good ice? Do y’all dig into the slush before you start the anchor? Don’t want to build something as an anchor. As I mentioned this is the first year in a while that I have had to deal with snow/slush on the ice.
              Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

I shovel if it's possible (snow). But if the slush is that thick and you don't have long anchors, you need to either chip down to good ice with your spud or cut anchor holes and rig some stick/pipe anchors.
                Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

• Flicted
                  Flicted commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yesterday, I knew slush and melting snow would be a problem and the weather was mild so I put on another layer and left the shelter at home. Back to whatever breeze there was and for 5 hours and I was fine.

Originally posted by Flicted View Post
                I shovel if it's possible (snow). But if the slush is that thick and you don't have long anchors, you need to either chip down to good ice with your spud or cut anchor holes and rig some stick/pipe anchors.
                I am thinking it will wait till next season now temps will be good enough won’t need the pop up. Actually I bought the pop up cause was not going to drag my flip over on the snow. Building a smitty sled for next season if I can ever find some used skis! Just haven’t got to use my pop up!
                Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Working...
                X