Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Depth Outdoors - Nebraska Panfish (Feb 2019)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Depth Outdoors - Nebraska Panfish (Feb 2019)

I don't know how many of you watch In Depth Outdoors, but their episode that released to YouTube today (filmed sometime in the last 2 weeks - late February) was on an un-named (in the episode, although I'm sure some of the locals may recognize it from drone footage) sandhill lake.

I was impressed.

I don't know that I'm heading to that particular lake, but I'm planning to head up there next week. It will be my second trip, and maybe (hopefully) something of a yearly tradition.

Nate

I saw that too; my guess is a private lake tho. 2 guys asked in their website and someone else asked in the comments of the video if it was published or private. Neither has a reply to it and there are several other comments in their video that received a reply in the meantime.

Comment

Private lake. Filmed Feb -24. A Nefga forum member was the other person fishing with James Holst. I'll let him tell the story if he chooses.

Comment

There were some incredible fish, just hope the area doesn't get pounded and all those nice fish get dried off....

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Barta View Post
          There were some incredible fish, just hope the area doesn't get pounded and all those nice fish get dried off....
          It is a double edged sword for sure. Ultimately the more notoriety this area gets, the more people begin to realize the potential of these Sandhill lakes and become better stewards of this resource. (Every pan fish doesn't nessarily need to end up in a pan!) I would love to see a future where this entire region receives assistance from multiple partners to eradicate carp. The potential is there for not just a Valentine Refuge fishing destination, but an entire North Central Nebraska destination! Implications of this possibility reach well beyond those of us that enjoy fishing. Every small town in the Sandhills would benifit from better fishieries throughout the region.

Just two weekend events in the Mullen community have had a huge impact in our small town.

http://sharptailshootout.com/Home.aspx

http://www.sandhillsmotel.com/join-y...-scenic-byway/

Hyannis is the perfect example of how small towns benefit from Sandhill Lake renovations. We can use all the help we can get.

dc

Comment

• NateWC
            NateWC commented
            Editing a comment
            I completely understand the Sharptail Shootout, though I haven't participated, and it sounds like an awesome event.

The other one I'm having some difficulty wrapping my mind around, but I suppose there are people in this world that love riding the edge of hypothermia?

Being someone from the more urban/suburban area of the state, I still think it's a lot of fun stopping for gas/food/provisions in the smaller communities on the way out and back when I head into the sandhills to fish, and stories to tell back home about the general kindness that I've experienced basically everywhere in the sandhills.

• Flicted
            Flicted commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the sandhills have been and will be more outstanding fisheries. But I think that only works if it stays relatively low key. If the area gets much more notoriety, I'm not sure it can handle the hoards of people (both good and bad sportsmen). I agree the towns would benefit but I worry about the cons.

• AV Angler
            AV Angler commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with you about the double edged sword piece. I actually like that it is a minimum 4.5 hours from the cities to the eastern edge of the sandhills. It keeps it close enough to go regularly but far enough away to dissuade the casual urban angler from making the trek. To me, that is what makes it a special trip. I want to support those communities but I also know one of the reasons I make the trek is for the opportunity to fish amazing water with few others around.

The polar bear tank race seems like it would be fun. I thought 200.00 per person was steep, but that includes lodging and three meals and some transportation. Overall, it sounds like a pretty good deal.
          ​Go Big Red!!

Comment

• NateWC
            NateWC commented
            Editing a comment
            I would be a spectator at the polar bear tank race, but a being a competitor would remind me too much of the perils of late-season ice fishing.

I watched that video, it was some good stuff. I was surprised they were not catching any perch or lmb. The crappie did kinda make me laugh, there are a few lake in the Omaha metro that are kicking out that size crappie or bigger in those kind of numbers (until the meat mongers harvest them all). Overall, it was good exposure for the area.
          ​Go Big Red!!

Comment

• NateWC
            NateWC commented
            Editing a comment
            I know there are 15" crappies in the metro, but I would question the numbers aspect of this (as a percentage of the total crappie population on any given metro body of water that has 15" crappie). There's a reason they had caught several at around 15" before mid-morning. On metro lakes, anyone pulling more than two 15" crappie out in a full ice season is doing really well unless they fish sunrise-sunset every day, in which case they're still doing OK.

Originally posted by DoubleH View Post
          I watched that video, it was some good stuff. I was surprised they were not catching any perch or lmb. The crappie did kinda make me laugh, there are a few lake in the Omaha metro that are kicking out that size crappie or bigger in those kind of numbers (until the meat mongers harvest them all). Overall, it was good exposure for the area.
          I know they are in the metro now only if I could trick them into taking the bait! didn’t watch the video probably make me start crying. Only keep gills a couple times a year. Strange as it may seem don’t care for the texture of crappie meat.
          Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Wonder why some of us are always on a soap-box about releasing big panfish????

Daryl B.
            Daryl Bauer
            Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
            Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
            [email protected]
            http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

They say eating big panfish causes low-T.
              Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

• whitetips
                whitetips commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a fact!

Daryl B.

• Harold
                Harold commented
                Editing a comment
                That must not be the only thing...

Here is the story. As Don (sandbilly) said we filmed on a private lake of a connection I have made due to some amazing people. IDO contacted me after meeting them at the St Paul Ice show (TUCR connection) this past December about coming down to the sandhills as they had never been to NE and have a lot of viewers down here. It was a genuine dream of James to come to NE and fish this region. I laid out a few options as to what species we would fish and where (refuge, merritt, etc). Being a 7-8 hour drive for them and this being their first time in NE, we wanted as close to a sure thing as possible. The ice belt is a mess right now with access and travel on the ice so their options are also a little limited. Finally, we only had 1 day to film so this added even more to the pressure cooker. As far as the show itself, many many other fish were caught (and lots were mine...LOL :D). Only so many can be edited into a short episode. We actually did catch a couple other species but they weren't super high quality specimens, so likely that was the reason they didn't make the cut.

A few more things to take for what they are worth. The sandhills region is a special place. Yes. This is why DB and others (myself included) are always preaching selective harvest and C&R. This lake is strictly managed and selectively harvested. But quite honestly....there is nothing special about this lake. Just its management strategy. There are 1200 lakes out there basically just like it. If every lake in the sandhills was managed that way they would all absolutely puke out 16 inch crappie, 11" bluegill, 15" perch, etc etc. This is why the state is killing off some of the lakes and trying to eradicate the carp. It is a very special region, unlike anywhere else like it in the world. And the fish potential speaks for itself. I knew when I agreed to do this show there would be some blow back. Again...Like Don said, doing a show like this is a double edged sword. But....the more people there are that love something.....the more they will be willing to do to protect it. There are 2 things that will ruin a lake pretty fast. They are people with buckets (harvest and invasives) and common carp. The lake we filmed on has neither. So. Lets all let it be a case study for what ALL the public sandhill lakes could be (and will be again). Put the big panfish back in the lakes and don't remove the big predators. It's basically that simple. IDO was super impressed with our state. It has a ton to offer. Hope you guys enjoyed the show. It took efforts from some really amazing people to make it happen.
              Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
              Lund 1875 Impact Sport
              Mercury 150 4-Stroke/9.9 ProKicker
              Humminbird/Minn Kota Terrova

Comment

• whitetips
                whitetips commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you!

Excellent show and a great demonstration of the fishing Nebraska can offer.

Daryl B.

• Sandbilly
                Sandbilly commented
                Editing a comment
                Well said.

Awesome video. Glad the fish cooperated and weren't camera shy for you.

Comment

Working...
              X