Wanahoo Crappie Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanahoo Crappie Question?

More of a general interest question, but all of the articles I read and videos on YouTube say that crappie will be suspending over the deepest part of the "basin" in our Midwest lakes. Does anybody fish for them in the basin at Wanahoo or do you think those fish stay tight to the trees despite the time of year?

i have ice fished for them in the basin away from the trees and they are out there but they seem to be more consistent in the trees as I don't think they move around as much...also I would consider a lot of the trees to be in the "basin" and it is also along the creek channel....I will warn you if you haven't been out there and are planning to try the basin there was a big open water heave that ran down the east side of the lake that is now snow covered

Comment

Not all the crappies in Wanahoo are in the trees. I have rarely ice-fished in the trees there.

Daryl B.
      Daryl Bauer
      Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
      Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
      [email protected]
      http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Many crappie in the trees. Many crappie away from the trees. The deep basin articles are not relevant at Wanahoo nor any other lake in this area. As Grizz said, do not wander the east of the trees toward the nor the trees directly south of the walk bridge

Comment

In newer lakes like Wanahoo, there is so much structure that although there are some basin crappies, I have got them that way at local lakes, I think more hold to the creek beds. I have seen them suspended over the deepest part of the creek bed but early morning and late evening I have caught them near the bottom and also tight to the trees.
          Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

The crappie can be anywhere in wanahoo, but they seem to be more tied to the channel this year, which runs thru the trees, than past years. I haven't found as many in the pockets or along the breaks as I have in the past. They also seem to be more on one end vs the other. For me most of my fish have came in about 12-15 feet, then raise them to 9 feet and test the bite. Good luck.
            I love catching bass. Every MA is like a participation trophy from mother nature!

Comment

Working...
            X