helix 5 ice fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

helix 5 ice fishing

i currently have the humminbird helix 5 its got gps and down image. if i want to use this for the ice can i buy the ice transducer XI-9-20 or do i have to buy the boat transducer and use that? i had an old fish finder and i just used the one that came with it and worked fine. i just didnt know if the ice transducer would give me all the functions as regular one.

Thanks

Originally posted by huskertexans View Post
    i currently have the humminbird helix 5 its got gps and down image. if i want to use this for the ice can i buy the ice transducer XI-9-20 or do i have to buy the boat transducer and use that? i had an old fish finder and i just used the one that came with it and worked fine. i just didnt know if the ice transducer would give me all the functions as regular one.

Thanks
    I'll wait with you because I'm curious too, but the "science" side of me thinks that ice transducers generally are designed to have whatever functionality the display/processing unit needs, PLUS they hang straight in the hole so that it's not pointing off to the side somewhere unless you want it to be (some people use a modified broomstick for this...)

Comment

Is this the current G2 model and does it have regular sonar? You'll want the XI-9-1521 transducer that will allow you to have the variable frequencies. I switched over to a Helix 5 this year and haven't pulled by FL-18 out of the garage yet.

Comment

Yes you need the iceducer. I went the other way, and for the Helix ice 5. Now I will need to get the open water transducer. Have used it three times on the ice still on the learning curve! Not as user friendly as my Vex, but it is goiter to be a blast out of my little boat!
        Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Thanks
          Buy the ice ducer. I love the Helix 5 G2 GPS. I sold the Vexilar. Won't sell the Helix. Not sure what ice ducer I bought, although you can run the flasher screen and 2D (or whatever you call it) graph with it. The graph is awesome for history. Panoptix is still my best tool, although the helix is awesome for hole hopping. The size and ease is awesome. I have it on a gens pack.

Comment

It is not G2 it is the original helix 5 DI/gps. i have had it for about 3 years now for my boat.

Comment

It is not G2 it is the original helix 5 DI/gps. i have had it for about 3 years now for my boat.
              The iceducer That HAVVY referenced is what you need for the First generation Helix 5 di I think it goes for around $90.00.
              Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

When I go to hummingbird website it says the ice transducer will not work with DI and the other ice transducer for helix 5 is only for Chirp so just making sure the ice transducer WILL recognize DI or is it better to just buy a another transducer and somehow get it to sit level?

Comment

you want the xi 9 20 unless you have a chirp unit in which case you would want a xi 9 1521. You don't need to use DI on the ice

Comment

Originally posted by fishcatcher View Post
                    you want the xi 9 20 unless you have a chirp unit in which case you would want a xi 9 1521. You don't need to use DI on the ice

Comment

Not to butt in but can a Helex 7 work for the same purpose. Have a 7 on my boat so just wondering

Comment

Yes it will. There are a bunch of videos of folks converting their open water helix units to ice units.
                        Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Originally posted by Jayomaha View Post
                          Yes it will. There are a bunch of videos of folks converting their open water helix units to ice units.
                          Keep it safe! JDL
                          When I purchased my Minn Kota Terrova, I found the Helix 5 was a good fit for the built-in transducer on that trolling motor. I also found that Humminbird provided a FREE transducer swap with any UNOPENED/UNUSED transducer. So, I sent in the one that came with the unit and "swapped it" for their ice-ducer.

I need to leave the Showdown 5.6 at home one of these days, maybe it'll MAKE ME use that HB enough (other than at home on simulation- ha!) when on the ice.

Reports have been good... but I don't know if those reporting had a *Showdown 5.6!

Harold F.
                          * GREAT unit for beginners, EASY LEARNING, extremely ACCURATE!
                          Report Fish/Game Violations:
                          1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Originally posted by Zeak51 View Post
                            Not to butt in but can a Helex 7 work for the same purpose. Have a 7 on my boat so just wondering
                            Yes it will, I absolutely love mine.

Comment

I use my HB helix 7 and leave my vexilar 8 at home.

Comment

Working...
                              X