Where to find crappie on this lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find crappie on this lake

What area of this lake should the crappie be? It is an older sandpit, some vegetation along the edges. Not much for structure as far as trees.

You always hear, "suspended over the basin - drill baby drill". That would send me to the lower right cove, where it narrows, and then in towards the middle (not sure of the orientation). But I have caught crappies around structure, so the humps in that area from the island to the left would be another place I would try. On and adjacent to those humps.
    Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

The humps look like the best structure in the lake. I would focus on the humps and also the saddle between the island and the shoreline.
      Every mistake is a learning opportunity!

Comment

Couple of other comments from sandpits I have fished. . . .

During the day, it may not make any difference. Literally, everywhere you drill, the fish will move off.

Fish low-light periods hard, wherever you drilling.

Recently, I have seen a lot of crappies riding really high, some right under the ice.

My $0.02-worth,

Daryl B.
        Daryl Bauer
        Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
        Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
        [email protected]
        http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

• NateWC
          NateWC commented
          Editing a comment
          This is why, if you can, drilling holes in a grid pattern and getting all your holes in first, and then coming back through and fishing them briefly for about a minute or two each, can sometimes get you on fish faster/better than drilling and checking one or two holes at a time.

• whitetips
          whitetips commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree!

Daryl B.

I have seen that at two Metro lakes this year. Crappies suspended near structure at 3-4 feet under the ice. They all seemed to be cruising, if I wasn't prepared, they were gone. But when I was ready, I caught a few. I did not fish mornings this year, but most crappie were in the 90 minutes before dark. Maybe 10% during early afternoon.
        Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

Don’t use a grid pattern. Do drill in areas I think might produce and go searching a little. Come back later to the first holes and then the next and so on.
          Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

This lake gets very little fishing pressure and holds decent size crappie. Just seems that they are very hard to find during ice. I have not had much luck after dark, seems like they completely shut down. I have not caught any numbers of crappie this year, but the ones I did catch were quality fish and returned.
            Have been moving all around and can't seem to locate any schools of fish.

Comment

• whitetips
              whitetips commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe there are not a lot? Maybe scratching a few is as good as you can expect?

Daryl B.

I’ve been known to drill 300 holes before I even wet a line. Drill, drill drill, then fish,fish, fish...you’ll find them.

Comment

• NateWC
              NateWC commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't do that much with my hand auger (more like 20 at a time), but if the temperature is right I use the same strategy. I don't like re-opening frozen-over holes, though, so if it's nasty, I'm not very efficient on the ice.

Sometimes fish just don't bite.

If it were my lake I would fish it hard right up to first ice. Take notes on what the crappie are doing. At first ice and for a few weeks to follow you can generally find them in the same general area. We are now entering a time with heavy snow cover which can make things more challenging.

I have spent entire days looking for schools of crappie via camera or sonar. Sometimes it's dumb luck. Sometimes I don't find them at all.

I would fish the shallow weedlines at dark with lit tip ups with minnows. Set up a little deeper with sonar, a glow plastic in one hole and a slip bobber next to you. That is how I have been having my best luck with crappie this year.

Ice fishing can be very humbling especially in this time and day when the internet is flooded with hero shots and piles of fish. Dont be discouraged just be prepared when the opportunity comes. If you know there are good numbers in there you will get them.

Daryl brought up a good point about just scratchn' a few if the numbers are low. I can tell you large crappie are large for a reason and if you have a lot of 15plus in there they aint easy to catch everytime you go. Good luck.

Comment

I would guess for a shot at private pond crappie there are plenty of folks who would volunteer to come along and bring a power auger. I'll raise my hand first....
              I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. -Sam Redfern

Comment

Originally posted by Deadhead Dave View Post
                I would guess for a shot at private pond crappie there are plenty of folks who would volunteer to come along and bring a power auger. I'll raise my hand second....

​Go Big Red!!

Comment

Went out Thursday and drilled around 50 holes in between losing my cap screw for the gas auger. Had to run into town to get one and a spare.
                  I marked the locations on the map where I drilled. Went from 9:00 am to 6 pm and caught zero. Only marked an occasional fish. Was tough going with around 8 inches of snow on top of the ice.
                  I would have covered the whole lake were it not for the snow, I was worn out walking, drilling and pulling the sled.
                  The areas around the island held fish a couple of years ago, seems to be some structure at around 10 feet in 15-20 foot of water. (large tree maybe).
                  They don't seem to be there this year that I can find.
                  I wanted to try again Friday but my legs & arms were sore. Maybe give it a shot next week.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Neblinc View Post
                    Went out Thursday and drilled around 50 holes in between losing my cap screw for the gas auger. Had to run into town to get one and a spare.
                    I marked the locations on the map where I drilled. Went from 9:00 am to 6 pm and caught zero. Only marked an occasional fish. Was tough going with around 8 inches of snow on top of the ice.
                    I would have covered the whole lake were it not for the snow, I was worn out walking, drilling and pulling the sled.
                    The areas around the island held fish a couple of years ago, seems to be some structure at around 10 feet in 15-20 foot of water. (large tree maybe).
                    They don't seem to be there this year that I can find.
                    I wanted to try again Friday but my legs & arms were sore. Maybe give it a shot next week.

Randy
                    It looks like you made a good effort at least!

Next time you're out there, you should still drill some holes in those same areas and fish them, but maybe for less time before moving on.

I would also pop some holes more toward the south side of that saddle between the island and the point.

As long as the ice allows, I would take a look at the hump structures in the western end, although if this is a sandpit, ice might not allow for that - bring a spud bar. I'd put a hole right on top of them, and then about a quarter of the way down the slope, half way down the slope, at the bottom of the slope, and then 10-20 feet out from the bottom of the slope.

Spread your holes out a little more over the deeper water and fish a little higher when you're testing those holes, too, and you can make your 50 holes cover more water.

Just some thoughts...

Comment

• Flicted
                      Flicted commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agree. I would focus on the areas with the humps like Nate said. On, between, and maybe to the south over deeper water and watch them on and off through the time you're out there. I also keep eyeing that notch in the far southeast corner. Seems fishy.

Again let me say, because I saw it again yesterday, especially with all the snow cover we have right now, crappies where I was fishing were riding high, right under the ice! They were catchable, but if you were not watching close, or fishing high, you would never know they were there.

Daryl B.
                    Last edited by whitetips; 02-22-2019, 11:51 AM.
                    Daryl Bauer
                    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                    [email protected]
                    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

• Flicted
                      Flicted commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I saw the same at Standing Bear. 2' under the ice. At first I thought it was anomalous propagation.

I was fishing last night in 15 feet and the biggest crappies were caught 5 to 6 feet from the surface. Overall, they were definitely higher than usual in the water column.

Comment

Working...
                    X