X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maskenthine tragedy

One man thru the ice. Sad news.

https://ktiv.com/2019/01/21/search-t...kenthine-lake/
    The lake is closed to the public for an indefinite period of time.
    Those big females are fat for a reason.- Release them.
    " Bowfishing - Embrace The Slime "

A car has also fallen through on Storm lake with fatalities.
    Those big females are fat for a reason.- Release them.
    " Bowfishing - Embrace The Slime "

Comment

Originally posted by whisker View Post
      One man thru the ice. Sad news.

https://ktiv.com/2019/01/21/search-t...kenthine-lake/
      The lake is closed to the public for an indefinite period of time.
      The article says he was riding a "motorcycle" on the ice? Is there a safe way to ride a motorcycle on a frozen lake or are there motorcycles made for slick terrain. Doesn't seem very safe, but was wondering if I was missing something. I know I haven't seen a Jason Mitchell thermal sportster for sale or anything like that.
      I love catching bass. Every MA is like a participation trophy from mother nature!

Comment

I'm only guessing that it was more of a "motocross" or "dirt bike" type of motorcycle, which in places further north isn't too rare of a sight on frozen lakes because it's fun to jump snow drifts and such, you can throw a few of them into the back of a pickup truck (which you can drive out on the ice to your favorite spot), and they're light weight so getting stuck is no big deal. It's something I've seen before, but not in Nebraska.

The biggest problem with lightweight vehicles on ice is that when the ice is thin or there's open water spots or thin spots (like Maskenthine or really lots of other reservoirs in the area), you cover ground a lot faster than you think and stopping isn't as easy as you think and there's no way you're using a spud bar and why would you wear a life jacket or picks when you're riding a motorcycle and... tragedy.

So I don't think it's something that should be tried on an unfamiliar body of water for sure, nor one with open water holes here and there.

Comment

Working...
        X