South Dakota warning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Dakota warning

If you don’t have a vehicle with tracks on it I wouldn’t even attempt going up to the glacial lakes right now.

It was a little crazy up there. We were there Wed night through Sun morn. We had trax up there. We kept breaking the bolt on our back trax of the ranger. Every driver was different up there. You could tell who knew it was going to be a little rough driving around and would hit the ice at 35 mph and just kept going. The next guy would come out at 10 mph and get stuck right away.

Lots of trucks with and without chains had no issues pulling their castles out there. They just needed to know how to drive.

Waubay and Enemy Swim were horrible. Found a bunch of fish at Bitter. Biggest eye going 23". Only caught three perch the complete trip. Thursday night they eyes were flying through the water column. We had them following it all the way to 5' under the ice before they would nail it. We stayed in 20' to 24' of water after we found them.

Great trip.
    Last edited by HAVVY; 01-22-2019, 08:03 AM. Reason: It not I

Comment

• Jthod
      Jthod commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for another great report.

Originally posted by HAVVY View Post
    I was a little crazy up there. We were there Wed night through Sun morn. We had trax up there. We kept breaking the bolt on our back trax of the ranger. Every driver was different up there. You could tell who knew it was going to be a little rough driving around and would hit the ice at 35 mph and just kept going. The next guy would come out at 10 mph and get stuck right away.

Lots of trucks with and without chains had no issues pulling their castles out there. They just needed to know how to drive.

Waubay and Enemy Swim were horrible. Found a bunch of fish at Bitter. Biggest eye going 23". Only caught three perch the complete trip. Thursday night they eyes were flying through the water column. We had them following it all the way to 5' under the ice before they would nail it. We stayed in 20' to 24' of water after we found them.

Great trip.
    I was supposed to be up Saturday through today but left last night to come home early, it didn’t matter how we drove we got stuck. Fast, slow, trying to avoid drifts. If you have a sled it’d be no big deal. We found perch in the basins in 30’. Alright trip but it wasn’t fun getting stuck and it was hard to get to where we wanted to go.

Comment

Working...
    X