Micro Fishing. Ice Style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Micro Fishing. Ice Style.

Got a new toy from MA Machine this past weekend while we were fishing on Okoboji. I came across what I figured was a rather large school of small fish so I decided to give the palm rod a try. Now I admit I was pretty sceptical of the whole palm rod thing but after using it and getting the hang of it, I get it. The control you have over your jig, coupled with the incredible bite detection is unbelievable. I'm a beliver. I even crossed a new species off my list. Love those pumpkinseeds!! Just need to get one from NE waters now.

He always brings some of those palm rods to the ice fishing clinic in Kearney, and I have a hard time wrapping my head around using one. I have a hard time making my cold fingers work on the tiny jigs I use now. They do look like they would be fun to use.

Comment

• swoab47
      swoab47 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is why you have 3 or 4 of them prerigged...

• bluelund
      bluelund commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes sense.... Another duh moment for this Polish one.

I thought I read somewhere that when you get a hook set, you hand fight fish in on those things... you don't use the/a reel. Is that correct? It doesn't look like you could turn that little red knob very quick...

Comment

• whitetips
      whitetips commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct. If you watch some of the European anglers who are masters at the technique, they have a whole system of flinging the reel down and gathering line by the arm length.

Daryl B.

• swoab47
      swoab47 commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct Eric. It is hand to hand combat. The hard part is keeping 1lb test from getting stuck in the frozen slush and getting back down. It is a fun way to fish. Definitely not the most efficient way to fish but could absolutely be the difference between catching no fish and cat hinges some fish on a really tough day... Just another tool in the box.

What brand is that palm rod? Marmish? I tried a cheap palm rod once that worked OK, but it was still a lot of fun.

Comment

• swoab47
      swoab47 commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe it says Master on it.

Send MA Machine a PM. He can hook you up.

Last year at Ice Team university, One of the clam guys, had a ice blue rod, tip guide removed and one of those rubber/silocone bobbers attached with a small spinning reel, The combo was about 15inches he would get a bobbing rhythm going and it was very easy to see the crappie bite his jig on a very non detectable bite with just a graphite rod. It was a nice setup combining the bobber system of the palm rod with a short spinning rod. It might work pretty good for those too old to fish on their knees like the palm rodeos. Those palm rods work with 2 and 3lb line as well if into larger panfish.

Comment

Working...
    X