X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whitetips
    started a topic What They Said

What They Said

There is a video that has been making the rounds on the interwebs; it is about a subject I have already been on my “soap box” about once this winter.  In fact, some of you get tired of my pointy-headed ramblings on the subject; some have even called me some kind of fascist about it.  …

• Jayomaha
    replied
    Originally posted by Kenai King View Post
    I have been preaching this topic for at least 40 years. Yes, I was about 10 years old but I have positively impacted many people along the way. It went from people looking at me like an idiot to people finally listening. Fishing Facts and In Fishermen were just fresh off the press in the 70's - still they did not embrace the C&R culture till later in their days. They too realized the importance of selective harvest and C&R and embraced it fully which helped shape the culture of the modern angler. Having a platform like they did made a great impact and we can see it today.

There is no guilt in keeping and eating fish. I do, and most who preach do. What annoys me are the people who just do it to piss me off and all the while their " limit " freezer burns in their freezer. What a waste. Keep a few for a meal, keep a bunch for a fish fry but PLEASE eat and do not waste.

Thanks to all who practice selective harvest and look at fishing other than " filling a limit ".
    No freezer burn in my house! If I plan on keeping 7 or 8 gills I also better plan on cleaning and cooking when I get home. My little wife will not accept a gill supper or breakfast for that matter unless the fish is still twitching!
    Keep it safe! JDL

Leave a comment:

• DakotaAngler
    replied
    Excellent article from the Minneapolis StarTribune:

“Fish are still fish,” said Chris Kavanaugh, northeast regional fisheries manager for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR). “Because finding them has never been easier, we are likely removing big sunfish and crappies faster than they can be replaced in most bodies of water.”

Kavanaugh said seasons, bag limits and length limits all work to keep lakes from getting “fished out,” but waters can be “fished down” because humans, unlike most top predators, prefer to prey on what’s rarest rather than most abundant.

“Understandably, people prefer to catch and keep larger bluegills and crappies,” Kavanaugh said. “Yet when the biggest ones are removed faster than they can be replaced, the outcome is even greater numbers of small fish. That’s because the species, in the name of self preservation, starts to mature at an earlier age, producing even more fish that can result in stunting.”

As ice fishing explodes in Minnesota, fish management becomes more crucial

Leave a comment:

• 4allfish
    replied
    The only way the majority of people will practice selective harvest is if the regulations require them. Most people follow the rules and will harvest the maximum allowed if they catch them. If bluegills are the most susceptible to over harvest of larger fish, a state wide rule where only one over 9 inches can be harvested could go a long way. Micro managing lakes with individual lake regulations is probably the best method but can present many challenges and may or may not be the best way in Nebraska. I am a big fan of regulations that would put most big gills back in the water.

Leave a comment:

• Kenai King
    replied
    I have been preaching this topic for at least 40 years. Yes, I was about 10 years old but I have positively impacted many people along the way. It went from people looking at me like an idiot to people finally listening. Fishing Facts and In Fishermen were just fresh off the press in the 70's - still they did not embrace the C&R culture till later in their days. They too realized the importance of selective harvest and C&R and embraced it fully which helped shape the culture of the modern angler. Having a platform like they did made a great impact and we can see it today.

There is no guilt in keeping and eating fish. I do, and most who preach do. What annoys me are the people who just do it to piss me off and all the while their " limit " freezer burns in their freezer. What a waste. Keep a few for a meal, keep a bunch for a fish fry but PLEASE eat and do not waste.

Thanks to all who practice selective harvest and look at fishing other than " filling a limit ".

Leave a comment:

• whitetips
    replied
    Originally posted by OGCollard View Post
    First off, thats a great video Daryl. There are a couple issues though. One is we have just a flat, across the state limit on panfish except for a couple lakes. Have you guys ever thought about fluid limits that may change on a body of water every few years? That would be one thing that might help. The other comes down to good old enforcement. Many of us can follow theae ideas but it gets blown out as soon as people start not following and then realize there is no recourse. Btw, i think the slot limit on panfish is a great idea
    Oh yes, we have thought about, as you describe, "fluid limits" or regulations that frequently change, have thought about management on a waterbody by waterbody basis too, different regulations for different waterbodies. As a fisheries biologist I would tell you that I am all in favor of those things! So, why don't we have more of that? Because remember anglers come in an infinite variety of shapes, sizes, desires and motivations, and when we are setting regulations we hear from folks who complain the regulations are too complicated! Now I can argue that, and have, but decisions are made and that is that. And there probably is a "happy medium" between individual waterbody regulations and simplicity.

Without a doubt the biggest complaint I hear is the one about lack of law enforcement. Again, I hear ya, agree with you, but I cannot snap my fingers and make it change.

But, I do know that the more attitudes change, the more folks care, the more things will change!

Daryl B.

Leave a comment:

• eyeguy
    replied
    Those are some "heavy hitters" on that video and I had already seen it. Genz, Mitchell, Joel Nelson, Hawthorne, Bro, Kavajecz, Parsons, etc etc etc. I think the point that should be taken here is that the technology and interest in ice fishing is growing at warp speed and if we keep this up there won't be the fish to catch. Brad also nails it when he says that basically if the DNR cannot legislate it(or until they can) then we must police ourselves and hold OURSELVES to a higher standard and do a better, more responsible job as anglers. Like it or not....the tide is changing. If you are a die hard, fill your bucket, meat hunter...you are quickly becoming the minority. People are starting to get it. And people are starting to see what can happen to these water bodies if you don't harvest responsibly (And the opposite can be true. I have been fortunate to have fished some amazing water bodies that produce some massive, amazing fish due to either harvest restrictions or the water body being private and the land owner not allowing people to flood in and take out buckets of quality fish). I talked to my 65 year old dad on the phone last night. He told me that he, himself threw back 3 walleyes yesterday over 22" because they had round bellies and were going to spawn in a few months. I about dropped my phone in disbelief. He grew up with my grandfather....who grew up in the depression. They kept everything they could because that was their source of food then. The outdoors got a lot of people through some tough times in our history. So if he can start to change his way of thinking...then about anyone can. Have a great year guys and gals. Make 2019 a good one in the outdoors!

Leave a comment:

• Sandbilly
    replied

I'm also quite impressed with the <30 fishing crowd not only embracing stewardship, but in many ways, leading the charge for a more comprehensive understanding of our resources.

In the video Brian Brosdahl probably most aligns with my train of thought. He has watched bluegill size structures crash from top down harvest in both his home waters around Coon Rapids MN and now the Bemidji area. And according to Bro, the bluegill don't come back. Anglers continue fishing memories for years after the damage is done.

Leave a comment:

• Flicted
    replied
    Slot limits and fluid limits are great ideas in a perfect world. And as OG stated, not enough is spent in this state on enforcement. Rules will be broken when there is nobody to hold them accountable. I think the more selective harvest is preached, we can change some minds and make some progress.

Leave a comment:

• OGCollard
    replied
    First off, thats a great video Daryl. There are a couple issues though. One is we have just a flat, across the state limit on panfish except for a couple lakes. Have you guys ever thought about fluid limits that may change on a body of water every few years? That would be one thing that might help. The other comes down to good old enforcement. Many of us can follow theae ideas but it gets blown out as soon as people start not following and then realize there is no recourse. Btw, i think the slot limit on panfish is a great idea

Leave a comment:

Working...
X