Early ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early ice

So did the short ice we have had here in SE NE count as early ice? If and when we get safe ice in a few weeks what ice will it be? May seem like a dumb question? Are the weeds still going cause ice wasn’t on long? Will be very interested in your insights. Thanks
    Keep it safe! JDL

That was early ice. Anything that forms from here on would I would consider "late" ice.

Vegetation growth is dependent on a number of factors, including day length. For instance, the eelgrass beds are gonna be there whether nature has provided a cap on the lake or not.
    " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

Interesting question. Mid-winter is still mid-winter as far as submerged aquatic vegetation is concerned--if you can still find green vegetation, fish it, but that gets tougher to find in mid-winter.

Another thing to keep in mind is that ice cover stabilizes conditions. Every time we get open water again, the water is mixed, cooled more, and that will impact fish behavior. When ice cover comes back, conditions may at first be closer to mid-winter than "early ice"; however the stability of ice cover for a few days may improve things.

Whatever, when we get ice, GO FISH!

Daryl B.
      Daryl Bauer
      Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
      Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
      [email protected]
      http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Originally posted by Jayomaha View Post
        So did the short ice we have had here in SE NE count as early ice? If and when we get safe ice in a few weeks what ice will it be? May seem like a dumb question? Are the weeds still going cause ice wasn’t on long? Will be very interested in your insights. Thanks
        Keep it safe! JDL
        Unless something changes, I’m seeing way to many 40-50s in the forecast for ice.

Comment

Well looks like we have some ice making temps headed our way! Might not make it out this weekend but next weekend the panfish should be very very worried!
          Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

It's been a weird year. We've had a spot near Fremont where we've ice fished on 5 to 6 inches of ice since mid Dec. Meanwhile there's open water on the same lake. Tomorrow I'm taking the ice rods and the baitcaster. If the bluegill don't cooperate I may take the baitcaster and slowly drag a jig across the bottom where there's open water. Then again sometimes when you're fishing for bluegill you find something else.
            Whoever said cats always land on their feet wasn't throwing them right.-Anonymous

Comment

Working...
            X