Favorite ways for ice muskies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite ways for ice muskies

What’s your guys favorite ways on landing some skis through the ice? I can catch northern all day pole/tips but wanna mix it up this year and go after ski

Originally posted by Tpodraza View Post
    What’s your guys favorite ways on landing some skis through the ice? I can catch northern all day pole/tips but wanna mix it up this year and go after ski
    Muskies and northern pike are different animals! Yes, they are both cool-water fish and they are both members of the Esocid family, but they are actually very different in several ways. One of those ways is in their behavior in cold-water, during the winter. Northern pike are far more active under the ice than are muskies. In fact I saw a summary of some recent research where muskies were radio-tracked and they essentially were inactive under the ice.

I ain't saying that muskies cannot be caught through the ice, and absolutely pike techniques would be the way to catch them, but I am saying they simply are not caught as readily through the ice as are northern pike.

Daryl B.
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Go where there are good numbers and jig for them. Rattle baits and big shiny spoons. They will hit on the pause and they stay closer to the bottom unlike pike who are all over the water column. I would suggest investing in an under water camera to locate because they seem to " disappear " in the water. Once you locate a good spot hit it hard. Daryl is right - much more of a challenge than pike as they do not eat as much in the winter and kind of tuck deep in warmer water ( not to say you can see them shallow ) normally. You got to piss em off to bite ( not saying they won't hit a dead bait ) so get in their face.

Comment

Look for them at typical musky spots, points, narrows, areas with current, road beds.

Dead baits can work...

Comment

I usually set up a few tip-ups with a squirrel or a small rabbit on a pike rig.
          Mike - LaVista, NE

Comment

• Tpodraza
            Tpodraza commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve always had good luck with farm kittens

• michael.magorian
            michael.magorian commented
            Editing a comment
            Kittens dipped in toddler tears leaves that nice scent trail.

If pike like hot dogs, do musky prefer brats?

Comment

• Tpodraza
            Tpodraza commented
            Editing a comment
            Jalapeño cheddar

Originally posted by Jthod View Post
          If pike like hot dogs, do musky prefer brats?
          It is because the cheese gets stuck between those big teeth!
          Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Working...
          X