Traveling North?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling North?

Well it's starting to look like we won't have fish able ice by the last week or two of December in the Omaha area unless the weather takes a drastic turn. How far North (or west) does a person typically have to go during that time of year for ice? Could it be done in a day trip?

Do you mean 1 day of travel to your destination or one day to drive there, fish, and drive back? You can drive an 8 hour day to fishable ice right now. Every year is different of course, but normally that time of year you have to make at least a 6 or 8 hour round trip from eastern Nebraska to find anything.

​​​​
    GoodApp

Comment

If you want guaranteed ice you may have to get close to Webster. 4.5 hours from Omaha I believe.
      I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. -Sam Redfern

Comment

I wouldn't say guaranteed, But I think it's your best bet, and best bang for the drive.

Comment

Excited to get up to that area this year. What are some of your guys’ favorite lakes to fish around there?
          Follow my adventures at @whiskeynwalleye

"There's no WiFi in the forest, but chances are you'll find a better connection."

Comment

Anyone ever done Watertown in a day? I know it would be a crazy long day but I’m really thinking about doing it. 8 hours of driving for maybe 8 hours of fishing doesn’t seem very efficient but I need to scratch the itch sooner then later.

Comment

I think if you or someone was ON the fish, it might be worth it, but to go up there, and have to find the fish, scout, etc....no way.

Comment

Understand the wanting to get out on the ice! Just give it a little while and there is going to be ice all over the place! Drove from Omaha up to Le Mars and all the small pods were capped. The Floyd river had chunks of ice flowing down stream, that was around 11:00 coming back around 17:30 the river chunks were gone but still could see skim ice on the small ponds. It is on it's way!
                keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Originally posted by Jthod View Post
                  I think if you or someone was ON the fish, it might be worth it, but to go up there, and have to find the fish, scout, etc....no way.
                  Agreed. I am lucky to have a good friend up there that might make that worth it. Problem is I'd wait till the 2nd week of December and at that point I might as well just wait for the freeze down here.

Comment

Other than the whole catching perch and walleye thing...lol

Comment

A cooldown is supposed to hit Omaha during the 2nd week of December!!!
                      Every mistake is a learning opportunity!

Comment

I am looking to go somewhere the week after Christmas. Maybe with a group if we can get a few of us together to go north.

Comment

Just heard from one of my closest friends that lives in Sisseton, SD, north of Webster, north of Watertown, and there is no fishable ice anywhere yet. He said the thickest he's seen is 2" with a lot of open water everywhere. If you are traveling north from Lincoln/Omaha area, you had better plan for more time, because 8 hours isn't going to get you to fishable ice yet.

Comment

Good to know. Just booked our trip, about a month out.

Comment

Hoping for a weekend foot traffic trip next Friday - Sunday....looks like we may be limited on what we can fish but only weekend that works in the near future. Will make a decision next week after we see what the weather ends up doing and if the lakes end up capping early in the week..

Comment

Working...
                              X