This might be my next hut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This might be my next hut

There's a new kid on the block. I havent heard a lot, but what I have heard has been all positive. From what i have read the quality and functionality is exceptional given the price point. Like most things Ill wait until they have been out a year or two, but these sleds have a lot of promise.

Anyone see it in person yet?

http://kmdainc.com/icerunnerhouses.html
    GoodApp

I saw it a while back but I don't really like it, that's just me though, some people might but here are the pros and cons in my opinion.

Pro: Light weight

Cons:
    *Small sled (this could be a benefit depending on how you look at it, if you don't have enough room under a tonneau cover or something)
    *No seats so you'll still have to haul chairs or sit on buckets
    *Sled looks cheap but that's just from seeing it in the video, I haven't seen it in person.
    *Sunroof might cause a condensation issue.
    *The "two man" only has 1.4 sq ft more fishable space than the Otter Cottage (1 man) and 1.8 sq ft less than the Otter Cabin and Clam Nanook (Small 2 man). It is taller than the Nanook
    *The "3-4 man" has only 3 sq ft of fishable space more than the Otter Lodge (2 man) which is what I have and it's a tight squeeze to get two average size guys and a tiny 5' 1" chick in there......
    *You can only enter from the back so there's a chance of tripping over the sled or stepping on stuff you have in the bottom of it.

Comment

I see a few reviews mention the sled is as "thick" as the Otter sleds.

Most of the chatter I have seen has mentioned the lack of seats. Maybe thats something they'll add??? I dont mind that as much if the rest of it is as good as they claim.
      GoodApp

Comment

Hopefully that's the case, but like you said, it's probably a good idea to wait a year or two and see what people think of them......or at least wait until you see one in person.

Comment

The absence of a seat I think is a developing trend. A lot of the complaints I read about shelters are about the uncomfortable seats, and the seat support bars will often interfere with gear storage in the sled. Some seats account for 1/4 of the total weight of the shelter. Frabill's Recon, Sentinel, and Stroschein have the flimsy removable seat trunks but no fixed seat. Clam's Blazer has the bucket bracket but no seat. Absence of a seat means lower weight and lower cost. Some people will obviously complain about the absence of a seat, but I guess I view it as a positive. I would rather sit on a 5 gallon bucket topped with a padded swivel seat.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaAngler View Post
            The absence of a seat I think is a developing trend. A lot of the complaints I read about shelters are about the uncomfortable seats, and the seat support bars will often interfere with gear storage in the sled. Some seats account for 1/4 of the total weight of the shelter. Frabill's Recon, Sentinel, and Stroschein have the flimsy removable seat trunks but no fixed seat. Clam's Blazer has the bucket bracket but no seat. Absence of a seat means lower weight and lower cost. Some people will obviously complain about the absence of a seat, but I guess I view it as a positive. I would rather sit on a 5 gallon bucket topped with a padded swivel seat.
            Where did you find a swivel seat?.....just when I thought I was done buying ice fishing stuff for the year..lol

Comment

This is what I like...cheap, lightweight, comfortable, bucket doubles as storage... LINK

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaAngler View Post
                This is what I like...cheap, lightweight, comfortable, bucket doubles as storage... LINK
                I believe most Orchelns also have those particular seats in-stock.

Comment

• DakotaAngler
                  DakotaAngler commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BPS, Cabela's, Scheel's, TSC, Menard's, Amazon, Midway, Sportsman's Guide, Cheaper than Dirt, etc.

One thing I recommend is find the sled that fits your fishing style. For example when I take my kids I prefer the thermal hub...I know that I won't be moving much and warmth is essential. When it is just me I run a clam kenai just because it's light weight and black for sight fishing,I use it mostly to carry my stuff out. There are a lot off deferent brands with there own little set up so find what suits you best. If you fish a lot of walk on only lakes not just weight but how it pulls makes a big difference. Anyway that is just some of the things I look for when looking for a new shack. M2C IFC

Comment

Working...
                X