Collapse
This Is A Sticky Thread
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe this Traveling Bucktail was a custom lure from former NEFGA.ORG Moderator, Brad H. I DO have a "sister" of this lure I received at about the same time from Brad and if asked, I would donate it "to the cause".

More florescent in colors, she is NOT an "identical sister", although she is a "twin".

Harold F.

Note to 'Nerd:

Take a DRY "q-tip" and run it around inside the guides of your rod. IF there is a scratch on the inside, you will find a bit of the cotton hanging! That is all it would take to split the line when casting!

More likely it is a negative aspect of braid: ie Fireline; Powerpro. Any possible "whip" in the line at the rod tip will send the attached lure "off to see the world" and the only explanation is the "strapping tape" affect. If you know how to TEAR the fibered strapping tape (yep, I'm OLD!!) you will understand "the affect".

I've lost MANY spinnerbaits due to this "phenomenon", retrieved a few because the line floated long enough to find it!
    Report Fish/Game Violations:
    1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

I have sent a few lures into the weeds at Pelican this way. 30lb braid like to snap when you get a backlash too.

Solution? 65lb braid.

Comment

I personally vote that we ask if harold would be a really generous fellow angler and super nice guy and donate the original bucktails twin sister she sounds like a bright girl with some flash to herself. Only seems fitting to try to keep her bloodline going as long as we can. Thats my two cents worth
        If any one is coming to elwood, johnson, or medicine creek and has an open seat on there boat i would throw in gas money and snacks for a chance to actually get on the water and fish

Comment

If 'Nerd will PM me a mailing address, I will send him the BradH Custom "Sister" lure to fish with NO concerns. (Get back on that horse, Coach!)

I was told the lure was a PRIZE and not a "gift", so I s'spect this would be acceptable by Brad. Should 'Nerd choose to "pass it on", once in his hands, it is HIS decision. I will add that it was fished HARD at Oliver Reservoir with zero results. That big muskie recently netted must have been full of walleye (snicker) at the time I was there...

If Joe can produce a "clone" to continue the thread, I am all-aboard with that generous offer!

Harold F.
          Last edited by Harold; 06-05-2017, 10:55 PM.
          1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Awesome guys keep it gong!

Comment

Harold, I appreciate the offer but I had my turn and wgibson26 has been patiently waiting so it should go his way.
              Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishingnerd33 View Post
                We took our annual trip to the Refuge and had a blast! Used the bucktail a lot and finally connected with a 25" feisty pike! The pike came flying out of nowhere and slammed it about 15' from shore. Absolute rush!

The next morning we returned to the same spot in hopes of more success and on the first cast the unthinkable happened. I still can't figure out how, but my line snapped and the bucktail was gone. Before going out that day, I checked my knots, checked my line and leader for frayed spots. I was running 30lb braid, a swivel, 26lb Surflon leader attached to the bucktail. I feel absolutely sick about it and it's been 3 days since losing it. After the line snapped, I spent the next 45 minutes working to retrieve it but it was in vain.

I apologize, I feel as though I let a lot of people down. I've been following this thread for years anxious to get it and hopefully catch a fish on the famed lure and pass it along to another angler. I thank those who kept it going throughout the years and I'm sorry to those who had yet to fish with it and won't get the opportunity.

It's final resting place is about 40 yards straight out from the west boat ramp on Pelican. Again, a bittersweet 12 hours. Going from the high of sticking a solid pike with it to losing it in the weeds the next day.
                Do you have access to a boat and a magnet?
                ​Go Big Red!!

Comment

• Fishingnerd33
                  Fishingnerd33 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I took our boat out and used the net to scoop the bottom where I saw it go in. Didn't have a magnet on me at the time. I combed the area pretty thoroughly with the net, but to no avail.

Rats!! Do you have scuba gear?
                ​Go Big Red!!

Comment

Any one got metal detector? Would that work ?
                  If any one is coming to elwood, johnson, or medicine creek and has an open seat on there boat i would throw in gas money and snacks for a chance to actually get on the water and fish

Comment

Tons of people use metal detectors under water, beaches, river areas where rafting is common, etc...

If you find a double #7 French blade inline with blonde Fishhair on it, it's mine......

Comment

• Harold
                      Harold commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Quote: If you find a double #7 French blade inline with blonde Fishhair on it, it was mine......
                      (Fixed it for you!)

Well, it's no clone, but I put this together this weekend. Hopefully we can get it to catch fish all over the state!

It's a small enough size that it can easily be casted on medium heavy spinning gear.

wgibson26 I got your address from Harold, and will be sending it out tomorrow.

ps.....I may throw a little extra in the box.

Comment

Package is in the mail. I drew up a little log book and put it in the box as well so we can see how it catches fish.

Good Luck!

Comment

Looks like a fish catching machine!!!
                        ​Go Big Red!!

Comment

Wow she's beautiful I love the engraving on her!!! Awesome idea on the log book that will be some interesting data. Great job on the build

Comment

Haven't given up?

Click image for larger version

Name:	19059535_840017936139323_3177643515887849585_n.jpg?oh=6a473fc1f5d0f73c6cf090a5ceec27ee&oe=59DFED3B.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1172743
                            1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Working...
                            X