This Is A Sticky Thread
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling Bucktail

Here is the deal. I'm handing off the lure to buglem for this weekend. After he catches fish and takes photos for the thread he hands it off to another forum member. We get to see how far this goes and what it catches. Just don't let it set in your tackle box unused for a month during the summer when another forum member could be using it and handing it off. If you want to be next in line just post to the thread. So far I've caught bass and pike with it in Nebraska and Minnesota. I also had a Musky follow it in Minnesota, just no strike or hookup. Don't worry if you have to cut the hook to get a fish off. I'd rather the hook be cut than loose a fish intended for release. I'll try to get some extra hooks tied up and handed off to whoever has the lure when I get them done. You'll just need split ring pliers handy to swap a new hook on. If you loose it no worries, I'll get a replacement made up ASAP, in fact I'll need one for myself once I hand this thing off. Lure weight is 3/4 oz. with a 4/0 treble and a #10 Colorado blade. It's light for it's size by design but it still casts plenty far. I pull it just under the surface over weeds, that's why I made it light for a #10 blade. I use a 7' heavy action rod with a 5600 ABU, 30 lb. braid and a single strand steel leader. Here are the pics I have from 4th of July weekend. Let's see where this thread leads.

Brad, can I put a single hook on it and see how it does?
    NEFGA is endorsed by Recycled Fish

You can be a Fish Recycler too...let 'em swim.
    Recycled Fish

Comment

This should be an interesting thread. :2thumbsup:
      All fish in my pics have either been released unharmed or fried to a delicious golden brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish Recycler View Post
        Brad, can I put a single hook on it and see how it does?
        One of the best bucktails of all time is a single hook, Eagle Tails! Single tandem siwash hooks!
        "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Comment

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
          One of the best bucktails of all time is a single hook, Eagle Tails! Single tandem siwash hooks!
          How do they do that - two single hooks, same size, attached to the same split ring, or one riding further back than the other, more like a trailer hook?
          NEFGA is endorsed by Recycled Fish

You can be a Fish Recycler too...let 'em swim.
          Recycled Fish

Comment

Eagle Tail Lures by Wahl Tackle Company

Essentially, one hook rides ahead of the dress on a splitring, through which the shaft is run. The back hook is through a bent ring of the shaft riding behind the dressing. I've got a ton of Eagle Tails, be happy to show you up close and personal some time.
            You get an idea how they're built from the website though.
            "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Comment

So is this one of those "magic" lures that always catches fish in every situation and weather condition?? :xGoofey::zCofferIntheMorning
              Drew Friedrich
              Husker Bass Anglers

Comment

I'm going to LOTW at the end of July, but I would hate to take the "one" and lose it to a rock or have my line break on something else. I am interested to see where this thing goes. I hesitate at taking the responsibility for this magical item.
                "Imagine how weird phones would look if your mouth was nowhere near your ears," Steven Wright

Comment

I'll give it a whirl. Be glad to try to see what I can hook on it. I like bucktails, but it will probably be limited to whatever I can lure into hitting it from the Omaha area waters.

I am going to be out of town from this weekend through about Friday, the 16th, but I am free to cast it until something swallows it after that.

Buglem, you've got it until the 16th to hang it out of the mouth of a nice fish. Then, just pass it off to your sister and she can hand it to me at work. Or, we could meet and fish together, maybe even share a cold adult beverage. What do you say?
                  UKcat

My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my fishing equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

It's by no means a magical lure but it has been pretty good to me on pike. In the 4 or 5 times I've used it I've caught 20+ pike and a half dozen or so bass thrown in for good measure with lots of follows and short strikes (I'm really curious about this new hook idea because of that). It has been best on overcast days when you want to keep it just under the surface due to vegetation/cover. That's why I made it a hair lighter than normal. Of course if you want to you can count down and let it sink to fish deeper. It's not so much that the lure is anything special, I just want to see how far this goes.

Don't worry about loosing it. I've got a pile of the same blades, shafts, beads etc. so I can make another if it is lost or damaged. LOTW sounds like a good place for it, not using it there would be like having a Corvette and not running it through the gears now and then. If it makes it to winter without being lost......who knows........we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

If you want to swap to a single hook while you use it go for it. I'll check out the website and see if I can tie some of those up while I make a couple backup 4/0 trebles. I probably don't have the right hook so if someone has a couple and wants to send them to me I'll get them tied up.

It probably needs to pick up a NEFGA or Recycled Fish sticker/logo on the blade somewhere along the line if we have an artist on the forum.

Once it leaves my hands it's pretty much up to whoever has it to catch, photo and forward the lure on to the next angler. It's your honor at stake if it sits in your tackle box unused for a month. In a perfect world we would get a new set of photos added and pass the lure on every weekend. No preasure haha.

I won't tell people how to fish as long as you follow the laws where you are. With that being said practice C&R when it's the right thing to do. Enough said, let's keep this thing on track and have some serious fun!

Comment

Originally posted by BadBass View Post
                      So is this one of those "magic" lures that always catches fish in every situation and weather condition?? :xGoofey::zCofferIntheMorning
                      Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
                        Eagle Tail Lures by Wahl Tackle Company

Essentially, one hook rides ahead of the dress on a splitring, through which the shaft is run. The back hook is through a bent ring of the shaft riding behind the dressing. I've got a ton of Eagle Tails, be happy to show you up close and personal some time.
                        You get an idea how they're built from the website though.
                        Looks simple. Some pics with the hair pulled back would help. I could make these easy enough and send them on with the extra treble hooks.

Comment

Originally posted by UKcat View Post
                          I'll give it a whirl. Be glad to try to see what I can hook on it. I like bucktails, but it will probably be limited to whatever I can lure into hitting it from the Omaha area waters.

I am going to be out of town from this weekend through about Friday, the 16th, but I am free to cast it until something swallows it after that.

Buglem, you've got it until the 16th to hang it out of the mouth of a nice fish. Then, just pass it off to your sister and she can hand it to me at work. Or, we could meet and fish together, maybe even share a cold adult beverage. What do you say?

Sounds good to me! I'll post a trip report after this weekend with my results, then figure out how to pass it on.
                          You're a strange person, Kevin. But you knew that.
                          - Old Bald Guy

Comment

Brotherhood of the traveling lure..:eusa_think: Sounds like a good movie to me:eusa_whistle: I'll give it a cast or two

Comment

I would love to take a crack at your um...lure LOL I'm in...let me know when I can get it! Awesome thread and idea btw!!!
                              v/r

Shaun Nichols
                              SSG, US Army National Guard
                              88M Section Leader

Comment

Working...
                              X