Wipers Fight like Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wipers Fight like Bass

Ok, so I am sure you have seen the post made by Phishfulthinking, where we fished Pony Creek Kansas.

Well I was having this conversation with him on the way back home.

When the fish hit, I told him "This is a good fish", and after fighting it for a while, and getting it up to the boat and seeing that it was a Wiper I was a bittersweet feeling.

I initially thought it was a Bass, and a 5-6 lb bass at that when I hit it and when I fought it, hence my quote of saying that it was a "good fish". But, I thought Wipers were suppose to be the hardest fighting fish pound for pound, as mentioned by numerous members on this board. And the 5-6 lb Wiper fought like a 5-6 pound fish Large Mouth Bass.

I would like to open up that thread and put my nomination in for Small mouth Bass. I have caught 4lb bass, and 4lb smallies and the smallies make me work to land them, the Wiper fought for a while, but then just kind of laid over.
    I support the Husker Bass Anglers

She must have had a headache...
    �I think every happy memory plucks a hair from your head; if you see an old bald guy, he�s probably had a great life.� �-Red Green

Comment

I've caught very few wipers compared to a lot of people on here, but the few I have caught I thought I was bringing in a shark with the way they fought. One particular fish was hooked about 10 feet from the shore while panfishing a fallen tree. Even saw the thing right before my bobber disappeared. Took about 15-20 seconds for it to rip 120 yards of line off my spool only to snap it. Another one that I actually caught (18") hit about 6' from the shore in an inlet. I had no idea what was on the end of my line. With 15lb mono on a med-heavy baitcaster it took me close to 5 minutes to land her.

I've grown up catching largemouth and I've never had any of them fight the way those wipers do. Not saying one fish is better than the other, I prefer largemouth fishing, but wipers have more fight in them. Yours must have had a stomach ache or something.
      Fishing trips aren't measured in pounds and inches; they're measured in smiles, laughter, and memories with friends and family.

Comment

pssh, you bassfishermen and your baitcasters... get a real pole and maybe it would fight harder:wRazzing:

Comment

IMO nothing has an initial run like a big wiper!

And I have caught plenty of big 5lb plus LMB to make the comparison

but I havent caught enough BIG smallies over the years to compare them. The small ones i have caught are good fighters and like to jump more the a wiper.
          Just cuz you've got a brush dont make you a painter

Eighty percent of success is showing up.

RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICT SINCE April 6th 2008

Comment

You must have caught a lazy wiper. Wipers, smallies, and largemouths all fight differently. Wipers will make pretty good initial runs and sometimes keep doing it, I have almost been spooled by 5-6 lb wipers. Big smallies are just plain scrappy, they will run, they will jump, and switch directions on a dime. Largemouths just don't seem to have as many tricks as a smallie. I would like to catch a big striped bass on light tackle sometime, that would have to be a riot and work out. Out of the three I would pick big smallies as the most difficult to bring in, they just don't seem to ever give up. Its too bad bluegills don't grow to 6 or 7 pounds I would predict a lot of broken poles, and snapped lines.

Comment

The water was too cold. They put up one heck of a fight. They are really fun on ultra-lite gear

Comment

Just curious? What type of baitcaster and rod? What was the line test?

I have had a couple wipers give up easy, I also had a 22" that did a 50 yard dash in .010 seconds. It depends? Some fish are just full of themselves, I guess? I hope when I get the state record striped bass..it just kind of gives up. :D
                Keeper of the Blue Bucket

Comment

I have had like a 6-7lb wiper that didn't put all that much of a fight then caught one that was like 4 1/2 lbs and the thang took an initial run that almost took me to my knot!! But i would say the majority 95.5 % put up a fight like their life is dependent on getting off. Some times they even die from putting up such a fight!

Comment

Originally posted by duckhuntr View Post
                    The water was too cold. They put up one heck of a fight. They are really fun on ultra-lite gear
                    That's what I was thinking, but what do I know. :razz:
                    Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the circus.....

Comment

I'd agree with Smallies being pound for pound tougher than a wiper. I've had a 6lb smallie take me to the point I could see the bottom of my spool on an eight weight.
                      "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Comment

Originally posted by AnglerX View Post
                        Just curious? What type of baitcaster and rod? What was the line test?

I have had a couple wipers give up easy, I also had a 22" that did a 50 yard dash in .010 seconds. It depends? Some fish are just full of themselves, I guess? I hope when I get the state record striped bass..it just kind of gives up. :D
                        believe it was a 7 med or med hvy action with 12lb trilene

Comment

I will go with the cold water explanation.

Comment

water temp was 47

Comment

Originally posted by Tone2129 View Post
                              Ok, so I am sure you have seen the post made by Phishfulthinking, where we fished Pony Creek Kansas.

Well I was having this conversation with him on the way back home.

When the fish hit, I told him "This is a good fish", and after fighting it for a while, and getting it up to the boat and seeing that it was a Wiper I was a bittersweet feeling.

I initially thought it was a Bass, and a 5-6 lb bass at that when I hit it and when I fought it, hence my quote of saying that it was a "good fish". But, I thought Wipers were suppose to be the hardest fighting fish pound for pound, as mentioned by numerous members on this board. And the 5-6 lb Wiper fought like a 5-6 pound fish Large Mouth Bass.

I would like to open up that thread and put my nomination in for Small mouth Bass. I have caught 4lb bass, and 4lb smallies and the smallies make me work to land them, the Wiper fought for a while, but then just kind of laid over.

The wipers i caught at milford do not lay down what so ever, it kinda reminded me of the saltwater days.

Originally posted by OldBaldGuy View Post
                              She must have had a headache...
                              Now thats funny :ayes: :Beer:
                              Certified Raider hater....

Comment

Working...
                              X