Fishing Regulation Changes 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing Regulation Changes 2020

There was a meeting of the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission last week in Omaha.  Here is the fish part of the news release that dropped after that meeting: Commission adopts changes to sport fishing orders LINCOLN, Neb. – The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission amended sport fishing orders at its meeting Oct. 18 in …
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Great changes!

Comment

Like the changes on channels at Merritt and Calamus, now lets make the 50 in musky a statewide thing

Comment

It was said the changes at Merritt and Calamus were due to a decline in large catfish. Why wait until there is a decline in other waters? Why not make the 30 inch, one fish statewide?

Comment

The catfish changes are both good and bad. Good for the resource that is being protected but bad for the tournaments that are held on those lakes. The walleye tournament guys feel your pain. These regs are getting back to regulating individual bodies of water which can be confusing but I feel is beneficial. Maybe one day we can get some changes to the white bass/wiper limits at Harlan. I would like to see wiper and white bass separated and regulated as individual species. Harlan has a lot of wipers and catching a white bass is getting difficult. There is a big year class of wipers that are now over the 16 inch mark with another on the way by next summer. So 5 wipers a day should work perfectly. If Kansans can tell the difference between white bass and wipers I know that we can.

Comment

Love the 50" minimum at Merritt. Let those big boys grow! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Freezer86 View Post
              Love the 50" minimum at Merritt. Let those big boys grow! Thank you!
              and watch the walleye population drop

Comment

• Jthod
                Jthod commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha!

Originally posted by huntnrut View Post

Huh? Decades of science shows that walleye are a low preference forage for musky.
              " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

• Harold
                Harold commented
                Editing a comment
                Some just repeat what they hear.

Once again more and more regulation. Just like knocking down the panfish limits a few years ago and lowering the possession limits. Its always amazing to me how a lot of our neighboring states just laugh at how low and restrictive our fishing regulations are. Try sometime to get a non resident to come over and fish here in NE and see what they say. Absolutely there is wonderful fishing here but you cant justify driving any distance without keeping any fish. Its just a matter of time until the license and park fees go up again because of less people wanting to spend money without anything to show for it. I am a huge fan of the musky regulations but say what you want they will eat walleye and everything else that they want!

Comment

Please make it 50" State wide for Muskie next year. (Please, Please, Please) Also make the fine more harsh if they keep a muskie that is under the requirement. I saw 3 people this year keep muskie and say it was a pike because they didn't know the difference. Fine the idiots!!!

Comment

Great change for Merritt and Zorinsky . I also agree that Musky should be (virtually) C&R statewide.

Comment

Will the new regulations for wiper at Zorinsky eventually be lifted in a year or two? I fish that lake more than any other. I would love it to be the great wiper fishery in the metro but would also like to be able to keep some to eat eventually too.

Comment

Originally posted by Redmack View Post
                    Its just a matter of time until the license and park fees go up again because of less people wanting to spend money without anything to show for it.
                    You mean limits and stringers of fish ?

The scale is finally tipping the other way. More and more people and anglers are finding fulfillment in fishing in other ways besides keeping fish.

I just had a friend with mental illness thank me for taking him fishing when we were younger. He told me I saved his life. Can't recall keeping any fish with him.

Fishing is a lot more than keeping fish. But, I do respect those who believe in tradition and bounty. Just remember not all of us fish to keep fish. There are much bigger reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by BraskaFishin View Post
                      Will the new regulations for wiper at Zorinsky eventually be lifted in a year or two? I fish that lake more than any other. I would love it to be the great wiper fishery in the metro but would also like to be able to keep some to eat eventually too.
                      I have never heard of anyone eating wipers before. Are they similar to white bass in taste?
                      ​Go Big Red!!

Comment

Originally posted by huntnrut View Post

Yeah, you bet.

Merritt Fish Community Data

Daryl B.
                        Daryl Bauer
                        Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                        Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                        [email protected]
                        http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Working...
                        X