Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard do wiper fight compared to a similar sized largemouth bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard do wiper fight compared to a similar sized largemouth bass?

I know they are supposed to be stronger but how much stronger?

Alot!

Comment

No comparison. Wipers will straighten hooks out.
      "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" ~ Lee Wulff

Comment

Oh, I don’t know. I haven’t had one straighten my hook. Well, not since last week!!

Comment

213% harder... give or take 100%. All joking aside, they easily fight more than twice as hard as an equally sized large mouth imo. I believe the difference gets exponentially larger as fish size increases. 5 pound large mouth are fun but they come in relatively easy and rarely make a "run". A 5 pound wiper will make multiple runs and make your drag sing!

Comment

I'd like to thank the tackle industry for promoting bass tournaments & pro angler heroes.

As for wipers, haven't bent out a hook since upgrading to heavy wire Mustad 32786 NPBN.

Comment

Wipers will fight until they can't go any more. It has taken me up to 15 minutes of letting them rest before they can be released.

Comment

• Props
                Props commented
                Editing a comment
                Heavier line can shorten the fight.

• wiperz7
                wiperz7 commented
                Editing a comment
                I've heard they make powerful runs.

Originally posted by Props View Post
              I'd like to thank the tackle industry for promoting bass tournaments & pro angler heroes.

As for wipers, haven't bent out a hook since upgrading to heavy wire Mustad 32786 NPBN.
              but how much stronger are wipers than largemouth bass in your opinion?

Comment

• Props
                Props commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't target largies.

• Props
                Props commented
                Editing a comment
                How to compare a Corvette vs. Jeep?

Wiper fight hard!!. but I imagine a 10 lb bass in great health would fight hard.. just have never caught one
              2018 fishing totals..
              Crappie..60
              Bass..279
              ​​​Red ear sunfish..2
              channel cat..6
              saugeye..2

Comment

Originally posted by Stone View Post
                Wiper fight hard!!. but I imagine a 10 lb bass in great health would fight hard.. just have never caught one
                There ain't a Lg mouth bass in the world big enough to make the 75 plus foot a 10# wiper makes when it smokes a bait.

Comment

Of the few times I've fished for wipers I've never had a strike that wasn't a slam. I seriously think G & P should stock them instead of LMB.
                  Here kitty kitty

Comment

I literally have seen my brother have the line slice right into his finger to the bone when a wiper hit. Another time one hit so hard my buddy almost fell out of the boat trying to set hook as it dove underneath the boat. They will attack a bait and just keep running. Biggest thrill from a power standpoint in Nebraska waters in my opinion.

Comment

Drag burner!
                      "Every dollar you spend hunting and fishing saves two in medical bills" -- Gene O'Brien

Comment

Echo everyone on here, they fight way harder than a largemouth of similar size. And the fight's just different. They dive and will fight to the death. Larger ones are very susceptible to hot weather, so try to keep fight times short and release quickly.
                        NEFGA is endorsed by Pond Boss

Get all your pond questions answered by the experts at Pond Boss!

Comment

What I tell people that have never hooked a big wiper, tie your line to the bumper of a truck, then have someone floor it and hold on for dear life!! Now I do think a 10# SMB might fight just as hard too!

Comment

Working...
                          X