San Diego Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Diego Fishing

I am going on a business trip to San Diego in November, 14th- 18th (opening weekend of rifle deer, doh!). I'll be staying right on the water on San Diego Bay, and am going to mix business with pleasure on the day before the expo I will be at. What tackle (needs to fit in a suitcase) should I take and what the heck can I expect to fish for? Never fished off a saltwater pier before. If anyone has some experience that would be awesome!
    A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child fish.....

I fished the main pier (below the double waterfront tower hotel name?) there 15 years ago and had a blast. It was right on the boardwalk. At that time they rented fishing poles very cheap that came with all the tackle a guy needed at a small shack at the pier. The same shack/stand also sold THE best breakfast burritos. The rigs they used were double or triple jig sets with a large weight at the bottom. It was common to catch 2 or 3 fish per cast but nothing was very big. I believe we fished in December but can't remember dates for sure. It was really cool fishing while watching the different Navy boats and subs cruising by.

Comment

I lived in San Diego for about 20 of my 27 years in the Navy before ending up in Lincoln and really miss the chance to get out on the water there.

Fishing San Diego Bay is fun. Bring your normal bass tackle (if it's packable) and some soft plastic swim baits. Most of the shoreline with riprap, along with the piers will hold spotted bay bass. There is decent public access to many areas. I would recommend walking along the shoreline and casting from shore. An hour of two in the evening can be very productive. The public piers can also be productive, but often get a little crowded. Here's a good article with basics on bay bass: http://www.bdoutdoors.com/so-cal-sce...ss-techniques/ There are other fish like mackerel, sculpin and the occasional bonito or pacific barracuda but bay bass are the most likely. You can probably google more info. Be sure to get you license if you fish anywhere besides the piers (where licenses aren't - or at least didn't used to be- required.

November is not the best time for fishing off shore as far as more exotic species like yellow tail and the various tuna go, but if you have the time and want to get out on a boat, check out these open party fishing options for half to full day trips. They will have rental tackle and live or cut bait so packing won't be an issue. http://www.seaforthlanding.com/ http://www.hmlanding.com/ http://www.fishermanslanding.com/ They will also teach you everything you need to know and are pretty patient with newbies as the half day boats cater mostly to tourists who only go saltwater fishing on vacation.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any question about fishing San Diego or any San Diego info in general.

Comment

Don't forget that's the land of the 20 lb bass. Multiple lakes that'll give you a shot to catch a fish of a lifetime. Dottie lived in Dixon Lake just 30 miles up the road.
        " A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack." - Wang Chi

Comment

Some really good lakes nearby.

Diamond Valley and Canyon lake are a couple of good ones.

Get a hold of Rusty Brown, he’s a buddy of mine and an awesome guide out there. Number is
          Last edited by Forum Moderators; 09-17-2019, 12:37 PM. Reason: Per forum guidelines phone numbers are a no no.

Comment

Number can be found at https://www.rustybasshook.com/contact.html

Comment

Get on a 1/2 or 3/4 day cattle (party) boat. You'll learn a lot and see some neat sights even if the fish aren't biting. There might still be some pelagics around.
              When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

Look up Mike Long if interested in catching bass. He’s a legend out there and has been able to snag most of the lake records.

Comment

Mike Long can certainly show you how to snag big bass off beds! He's a legend alright.

Comment

Lived out there for 8 years while in the Navy. Went to several schools at NAS Miramar so had the evenings open. The public dock and shorelines are a good place to fish in the evening and there are vendors around that will rent you poles and equipment. They have bait also...cut up squid is what we used. We caught Mackerel, several types of salt water bass, sculpin, etc. If you have the time, get on one of the half day charters and they will hook you up with some fish to bring back home.

Comment

I agree with a lot that's said here. If you can get on a half day boat you stand a chance at catching some decent fish. I've taken the Point Loma boat out a few times and always caught a few fish. If you are shore fishing (i'm not very good off a pier or the surf) but the Mission Bay area on the rocks offers some chances. I've always just threw some squid with a small-medium sized hook and a weight if you need to get it down low. I've caught a nice mix of opaleye and small calico bass near the rocks. If you can get to the bottom you may stand a chance at a flatfish, ray or small shark too!

Comment

https://sdfish.com/forums/t/leopard-...ishing.164324/
                        Peace and Love

Comment

https://www.stripersonline.com/surft...ing-the-water/
                          Peace and Love

Comment

What ever you end up doing - be sure to post some pics of the fish you catch.

Comment

Wow. I envy you. I just moved back from San Diego and I miss it. I didnt do very much salt water fishing unfortunately, just a bit off the OB pier. What I miss is the stocked trout (not the itsy bitsy game and parks kind) that ironically come from a farm in western Nebraska that are nick-named Nebraska Tailwalkers. Lake Poway still stocks them ( or they did last year) and you only need a day permit for this lake. Also the LM bass get HUGE out there because it stays warm and they feed them stocked trout all winter. Lol.

Comment

• Luv2Decoy
                                Luv2Decoy commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Nice fish for sure
                            Working...
                            X