Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sherman Fishing / Camping question

Hi all,

The wife and I are going to hit Sherman in a couple weeks. I've never been there, but I have a boat and am excited to explore the lake. In addition to studying the contour maps, I've researched old posts on Sherman for this time of year as well, so I think I have a decent plan going into the trip (though any suggestions are welcome!). I will be targeting walleye, but I will be happy if I can get on some white bass as well.

My question for those of you who are familiar with Sherman is about the campgrounds, boat ramps, and shore fishing. I am trying to avoid the more crowded areas, but also want a boat ramp right there. The G&P map shows ramps at Thunder Bay Area, Dead Horse Creek Area, or Moon Creek. Based on ease of access, I assume Thunder Bay is the busiest camping area? From google maps, I can't see where there is a boat ramp at Moon Creek, is google just out of date? Is shore fishing (say at night for cats) possible at either Dead Horse or Moon Creek? Do any of these campgrounds have facilities that are better than the others?

Any recommendations/advice are greatly appreciated!

I do not think crowds will be an issue camping this time of year. Sherman has multiple camping areas along with hot showers scattered about. Walleye and white bass are great but do not bypass the crappie, they are on a good cycle at Sherman.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I guess I would have expected a lake like that to have campers until closer to when it actually gets cold out. Just trying to avoid an area with a bunch of people so we can get sleep and get on the water early.

Comment

There will be some campers still out there but, we are talking very minimal so crowding should not be an issue. Most people this time of year seem to come up for the day then go home. Generally the boat ramp at Thunder Bay and over at the marina are the best for access this time of year since the water is drawn down.

Comment

• Funky Phez
          Funky Phez commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

I'd say you wont have any problem finding a spot to camp...with electricity an warm showers also.

Comment

• Funky Phez
          Funky Phez commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

We head out that way right after kids sports games Saturday morning, hope to be there early afternoon. I hope the current forecast holds, looks like it will cool off mid-week. Will probably head over to Thunder Bay, set up the tent, and get on the water.

I'm sure we can pick up the Husker game on a radio station, but how is the cell reception out there?

Comment

Assuming you have either Verizon or US Cellular you will be good for the most part cell reception wise but, there does seem to be parts of the lake that don't get it as well as others.

Comment

Working...
          X