X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cunningham Lake Public Discussion

For the Metro anglers...

https://www.wowt.com/video/?vid=560178612

Did anyone go to this? Any updates on the lake? I moved to my house specifically because it was near the lake, and I am getting frustrated with it being closed.

Comment

I understand a rotenone application has been recently done.

Hopefully the lake will be designated as C & R for the next 3-5 years so the restock investment has an opportunity to sustain itself in the future.

Harold F.
      Report Fish/Game Violations:
      1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Wow, I must have been dreaming or something. I didnt know they did a rotenone treatment this year or were planning to drain the lake. Whats the purpose to this since they drained it at the end of last year?
        Fishing is a dream so I dream often

Comment

Originally posted by riverrat86 View Post
          Wow, I must have been dreaming or something. I didnt know they did a rotenone treatment this year or were planning to drain the lake. Whats the purpose to this since they drained it at the end of last year?
          You're not dreaming they did the treatment last year. We are all still waiting not sure why it has taken this long but I guess we are fortunate to have other lakes to fish.

Just nervous that they start Standing Bear while Cunningham is still idle. Then two of the north lakes would be out of commission at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by riverrat86 View Post
            Pretty sure that last year's treatment ended up being spoiled by floodwaters - I don't know if there were a bunch of carp in there again this year or not, but the flooding made it quite possible.

Comment

Originally posted by NateWC View Post

Pretty sure that last year's treatment ended up being spoiled by floodwaters - I don't know if there were a bunch of carp in there again this year or not, but the flooding made it quite possible.
              That's what Daryl said earlier this year. The heavy spring rains and flooding we had partially refilled what they are/were trying to drain, and delayed some of the work. Mother Nature is to blame for the delay.

Comment

My understanding is that no renovations to the lake itself are being done and that only the campground/rec area is being renovated.

Why not? Some more offshore rock would be nice.

My guess is best case scenario that the lake will be open for fishing late Spring 2020? That’s just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
                  My understanding is that no renovations to the lake itself are being done and that only the campground/rec area is being renovated.

Why not? Some more offshore rock would be nice.

My guess is best case scenario that the lake will be open for fishing late Spring 2020? That’s just a guess.
                  An Aquatic Habitat Rehabilitation project was completed at Cunningham in 2007. A number of breakwaters, some offshore shoals and a number of other habitat enhancements were part of that project (Current lake map).

Current fisheries work was done as the reservoir was drained after the discovery of zebra mussels. That presented the perfect opportunity to do a rotenone renovation to eliminate common carp.

A bunch of parks improvements are being done right now, how soon all of that is completed and when the area will be re-opened? I have no idea.

Daryl B.
                  Daryl Bauer
                  Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                  Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                  [email protected]
                  http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Originally posted by whitetips View Post

An Aquatic Habitat Rehabilitation project was completed at Cunningham in 2007. A number of breakwaters, some offshore shoals and a number of other habitat enhancements were part of that project (Current lake map).

Current fisheries work was done as the reservoir was drained after the discovery of zebra mussels. That presented the perfect opportunity to do a rotenone renovation to eliminate common carp.

A bunch of parks improvements are being done right now, how soon all of that is completed and when the area will be re-opened? I have no idea.

Daryl B.
                    I know and it was a well-executed improvement to the lake, especially considering the quality of bass, crappie and walleye the lake produces in such a short period of time.

It just seems like a wasted opportunity since the water was gone. I also realize it’s not that simple

There wasn’t much left of the deep brush that was placed in 2007 and the lake had silted in since then as well. Hardly any of the rock that was placed was in deep water.

Not that any of this will matter to me because I will more than likely be moved away (for work) by the time the lake reopens.

Comment

More smallies???

Comment

Originally posted by RMax View Post
                        More smallies???
                        Those were considered an "invasive" at Cunningham, since they were introduced by a bucket biologist.

Comment

Working...
                        X