How Long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long?

You have probably heard it said that 10% of the water contains 90% of the fish.  I do not know about the exact percentages, but on any given day it is certainly true that there will be a whole lot of water that simply does not contain the fish you want to catch.  You cannot …
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Regarding the "not having a boat" issue. I think the G&P should "advise" the NRD's when building a new reservoir... to have more areas for foot anglers to access.... without having to hike a mile. Several of the Metro NRD reservoirs (Flanagan in particular) have a lot of nice rip-rap to fish, but getting to them requires a good 30-45 minute walk... carrying fishing gear. That can be difficult, especially for older anglers and kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellros View Post
      Regarding the "not having a boat" issue. I think the G&P should "advise" the NRD's when building a new reservoir... to have more areas for foot anglers to access.... without having to hike a mile. Several of the Metro NRD reservoirs (Flanagan in particular) have a lot of nice rip-rap to fish, but getting to them requires a good 30-45 minute walk... carrying fishing gear. That can be difficult, especially for older anglers and kids.
      They should probably just hook the fish on your hook too, right?

i wish they could just guide my boat to exactly where the fish are.

Comment

Not a bad point considering access can drive an individuals decision to purchase a license which allows the agency to also claim matching federal funds. Populations are obviously very diverse and ever changing. Perhaps this perspective is considered but could use additional support at open meetings.

Comment

That is a good point Ellros! When deciding where I am going fishing with my kids, I do consider how far we would have to hike to get to a spot where we can fish.

Comment

I'll walk 2 miles thru mosquito infested swamps to catch Drum. But when I get to Flanagan (after spending most my time finding an appropriate place to park), that walk looks miserable. You stand there in the parking lot for 5 mins debating if you want to do it, looking for shortcuts, and then what gear to leave behind, or do you just go somewhere else. Walked it once to opposite end and haven't been back.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash04jv View Post

I'll walk 2 miles thru mosquito infested swamps to catch Drum. But when I get to Flanagan (after spending most my time finding an appropriate place to park), that walk looks miserable. You stand there in the parking lot for 5 mins debating if you want to do it, looking for shortcuts, and then what gear to leave behind, or do you just go somewhere else. Walked it once to opposite end and haven't been back.
              Exactly. The two jetties nearest the parking lot are pretty much it. The jetties on the opposite side and the dam itself are a longgggg walk. Prairie Queen also has some of the same issues with accessibility. And Cunningham does with the areas on the northwest sides, especially since you can't access the lake via Rainwood Road on the west side.

Comment

Don’t know about Flanagan, but I caught a lot of fish from shore at Cunningham, Walnut Creek, Prairie Queen, and smaller lakes around Omaha for years before I got a boat this year. I am no youngster and not in great shape. Everybody has a different perspective, but I think the opportunities are very good here.

Comment

The Bohemian Alps is a newer lake and it is bank fishing friendly, lots of rock jetties and walking path. Lake at Leigh is the same way. Those two newer lakes look to be more bank fishing friendly, will probably be the trend for the future.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.-Dr. Seuss

Comment

The older metro lakes are pretty good for foot access. It's the newer lakes that seem to be lacking.

Comment

"You have probably heard it said that 10% of the water contains 90% of the fish"
                      and the corollary 10% of the fishermen catch 90 % of the fish

Comment

Working...
                      X