Where’s the Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where’s the Fish

Hey everyone, it’s September and I’m sick of it! Been fishing more secluded areas lately but looking for something of size...I’ve been to prairie queen, Flanagan, even Zorinsky but can’t seem to get hooked up with anything with size...fished super shallow, inlets, deep off shore cover, and deep timber with minimal success...HELP...I’ve had a lot of tough summers but this ones got me wondering if I’m doing wrong...Tips, Strategies, or a shoulder to cry on welcome!

I hear you, been out a lot in the last two weeks and it’s just been really slow. Maybe some cooler water will help, but don’t look like like it’s coming soon.

Comment

Keep going out!

At some point, we're going to have a cool night or maybe even two in a row, and I think that will turn the bite on a little more.

I took one of my kids (10 yo) out to Carter Lake on Sunday - the real purpose of the trip was to troubleshoot the outboard, but we fished for an hour or so after the trouble was shot, throwing a variety of lures in what seemed like likely spots. It was mid-afternoon, but also very cloudy, so we covered a fair amount of water for an hour of fishing.

Not even a bite for either of us!

Saw small fish jumping periodically all over the place, too.

I'm just planning to get back out there when I can, and see if things have changed.

Nate

Comment

I was at prairie view Sunday morning. It was cloudy so I figured a top water was the way to start. I saw fish busting but didn’t get a single bite. I ended up trying a bunch of different baits. Caught a few on a spinner bait, a few on a fluke, one on a frog, one on a jig, a Texas rig, and some on a square bill. The square bill along rip rap was the most successful. I only caught one keeper. The rest were small.

I talked to a few guy and it sounds like fishing is a little slow at many lakes. Maybe the fish are transitioning to fall. The length of day light will tell them to start moving. Maybe the fish are not actively feeding yet. I think they will get going pretty soon. Cover a lot of water and you should find some.

Comment

Originally posted by NateWC View Post
          Keep going out!

At some point, we're going to have a cool night or maybe even two in a row, and I think that will turn the bite on a little more.

I took one of my kids (10 yo) out to Carter Lake on Sunday - the real purpose of the trip was to troubleshoot the outboard, but we fished for an hour or so after the trouble was shot, throwing a variety of lures in what seemed like likely spots. It was mid-afternoon, but also very cloudy, so we covered a fair amount of water for an hour of fishing.

Not even a bite for either of us!

I'm just planning to get back out there when I can, and see if things have changed.

Nate
          Last couple of Falls the Shad really build up, makes fishing definitely challenging.

Comment

Daryl B.
            Daryl Bauer
            Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
            Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
            [email protected]
            http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

go to Kansas!

Comment

Originally posted by firstimer View Post
                go to Kansas!
                Or SD. I am the worlds worst fisherman...if I can catch fall Walleye there, anyone can. I can’t in Nebraska

Comment

Catching is slow for me too right now, and I too believe it is due to the abundance of bait fish. I figure that the fish I'm after are laying in a buffet line of 'endless' food, so why would they want to eat something I'm offering? Still catching a few here and there though. I'm kind of enjoying the additional challenge of trying to figure out what to try next that might entice them to bite, and watching the gulls go nuts all around me is captivating sometimes..... Laughed out loud yesterday when the gulls looked like they were coming for US.

Comment

Altho I generally target wipers from shore out west here, usually smallie & catfish bycatch keeps it interesting if wipers aren't around. Today got totally SKUNKED at 3 different North Platte area spots.

Edit: checking last years log, wipers did pick up a bit thru Sept. culminating in best of the year #s sessions end of the month.
                    Last edited by Props; 09-12-2019, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluelund View Post
                      Catching is slow for me too right now, and I too believe it is due to the abundance of bait fish. I figure that the fish I'm after are laying in a buffet line of 'endless' food, so why would they want to eat something I'm offering? Still catching a few here and there though. I'm kind of enjoying the additional challenge of trying to figure out what to try next that might entice them to bite, and watching the gulls go nuts all around me is captivating sometimes..... Laughed out loud yesterday when the gulls looked like they were coming for US.
                      I think that is what Daryl was implying with his winky emoji So many food sources, us anglers have to work extra hard at this time of year.

Comment

• bluelund
                        bluelund commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agreed!!

Originally posted by Ellros View Post

I think that is what Daryl was implying with his winky emoji So many food sources, us anglers have to work extra hard at this time of year.
                      Daryl Bauer
                      Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                      Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                      [email protected]
                      http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

I had better luck than I've had in a month or so at Wildwood last weekend. Honestly Wildwood and Holmes have been the most fruitful (or fishful) sites for me this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellros View Post

The window of opportunity to catch a hungry fish is much smaller now, than back in May/June. Their feeding window is of a shorter duration because even though they are eating more now, than in May, the fish have a much fuller buffet table and are filling their bellies up quickly.

The fish are literally stuffing themselves with food. Leave a fish or 2 in the livewell for an hour and they will spit up more, than they were eating back in May.

Comment

Working...
                          X