Merritt Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merritt Next Month

My brother-in-law and I are heading to Merritt the first weekend of Oct. This will be our first time there. We have never targeted walleye, but how can we not when there? Other than giving the walleye a shot, we will mainly be fishing for largemouth, smallies, and will take anything else that decides to bite along the way. We will be fishing from a boat during the day and most likely catfishing from shore at night. We plan to try some new stuff on this trip - bladebaits, slabs, jigging in general. If anybody has some tips or suggestions for us, we would appreciate it. We are staying at the Trading Post, and I know those guys will be very helpful, but I figured I'd ask here as well. Thanks guys!

Find the bait. Side imaging is your friend and link is your best friend. We struggled over labor day slabbing but it was still early and water temps were in the low 70’s. Guys pulling live bait did much better. We’ll be up there that same weekend, best of luck!
    Out-the-Window Outfitters.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserduckhelm View Post
      Find the bait. Side imaging is your friend and link is your best friend. We struggled over labor day slabbing but it was still early and water temps were in the low 70’s. Guys pulling live bait did much better. We’ll be up there that same weekend, best of luck!
      Unfortunately, he has not updated his depth finder to one of the fancy new ones with side imaging. Wish he would! We will still try to find the bait! Thanks for the info and good luck to you too!

Comment

My wife and i will be up about the same time,(6th to the 9th) it's all about the bait balls this time of year. Blades, and jigs will work, just have to find the right balls! Talk to John at the post when you get there, and fish the wind! And GPS maps are so helpful. PM if you want.

Comment

The last time I fished Merrit was mid September about 6 years ago.. weather was drizzling around 65ish day temps.. we fished boardman creek from the lake to the very end of it every day for 3 days..we caught every species in the lake with mostly bass and pike.. nothing huge but lots of fun..shallow cranks and spinner baits were my baits of choice the whole trip.. best fish in the boat were 33 in pike..19 in bass..22 in walleye
        2018 fishing totals..
        Crappie..60
        Bass..279
        ​​​Red ear sunfish..2
        channel cat..6
        saugeye..2

Comment

Originally posted by Stone View Post
          The last time I fished Merrit was mid September about 6 years ago.. weather was drizzling around 65ish day temps.. we fished boardman creek from the lake to the very end of it every day for 3 days..we caught every species in the lake with mostly bass and pike.. nothing huge but lots of fun..shallow cranks and spinner baits were my baits of choice the whole trip.. best fish in the boat were 33 in pike..19 in bass..22 in walleye
          I read about Boardman and figured we would spend some time down there. I like the idea of catching a variety. Just as long as we are prepared for the toothy ones! Thanks for the info!

Comment

My friend and I will be heading up this weekend. First trip to Merritt. We plan on camping for 2 nights and will have kayaks. Hoping to catch a little bit of everything. Will probably try to target walleye, pike and musky mostly. Any recommendations help! I think I’m going to be trying to fish for numbers while my friend is hoping to catch (and subsequently release) a trophy or two.

Comment

Oops also wanted to add... does anybody know the water temps up there right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Atat4e View Post
                My friend and I will be heading up this weekend. First trip to Merritt. We plan on camping for 2 nights and will have kayaks. Hoping to catch a little bit of everything. Will probably try to target walleye, pike and musky mostly. Any recommendations help! I think I’m going to be trying to fish for numbers while my friend is hoping to catch (and subsequently release) a trophy or two.
                I would stick to the wind blown weed beds next to deeper water. Lots of flooded bays right now that are perfect for kayakers. I wouldn’t worry about walleye as you’ll probably pick one up on accident fishing for bass or pike. Bring bug spray!!!
                Out-the-Window Outfitters.

Comment

Not to jack the post, if you have not tried it, Sawyer insect repellent is a great product! Ticks, chiggers, skeeters. Good luck on your trip!
                  Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Originally posted by Atat4e View Post
                    How was the fishing? Did you have any issues with roads being closed?

Comment

Weather was beautiful, fishing was tough. Best fish was an 8.5lb channel. No issues with the roads getting there. Honestly thinking about heading out again in a couple weeks. Some times not catching fish can make you want to fish as much as having a great outing. Water was still in low 70s.

Comment

So, my brother-in-law just had to cancel because of work. 3 days before we leave! Since I assume we will be responsible for the cabin fees, I am considering going it solo. I will be without a boat. Would it be worth making the 5 1/2 hour drive for this? I am a bit frustrated to say the least!

Comment

Originally posted by Crankin4Bass View Post
                          So, my brother-in-law just had to cancel because of work. 3 days before we leave! Since I assume we will be responsible for the cabin fees, I am considering going it solo. I will be without a boat. Would it be worth making the 5 1/2 hour drive for this? I am a bit frustrated to say the least!
                          This is just me personally, and your mileage may vary, but there aren't very many more beautiful places to fish in this state than Merritt and the Valentine Refuge, and I'd go out there and be happy about it even if I got skunked. But that's just me.

Nate

Comment

I agree with Nate. Always something to catch there.

Comment

Working...
                            X