Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recycle/ Dispose of Old Fishing Line

Hey

I have a bunch of old fishing lines that i have accumulated over the years that I am looking to get rid of. Does anyone know where a place you can dispose of it. I do not want to just throw it in the trash.

Thanks

I know that the NEFGA Directors collect the line from the bins that are around the state. I am pretty sure they send that off to be recycled. I'd suggest reaching out to one of them who might have some ideas.

JKL or Flash04jv

Comment

Last I knew, a lot of the recycling bins we used, such as the Berkley one at Cabela's, have been removed. At this point, better in the actual trash can than on the shoreline. Not sure what Harold has been doing with his, he did have a recycling center that would take it at one time.
      Last edited by Flash04jv; 09-06-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Looks like you can still recycle the line through Berkley:

"Please continue your support. Pick up discarded fishing line and recycle it by dropping it off in a recycling collection bin, or mail it directly to our collection center at:

Berkley Recycling
        1900 18th Street
        Spirit Lake, Iowa 51360

"

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska_Hunter View Post
          Hey

I have a bunch of old fishing lines that i have accumulated over the years that I am looking to get rid of. Does anyone know where a place you can dispose of it. I do not want to just throw it in the trash.

Thanks
          I collect line that is picked up at area fisheries and put into our bins and am given line from others that have personal "caches'" including bulk spools we do not want (nor will they fit!) in the bins.

We do have a recycle center in Kearney that will accept the line, we also have a CABELA's store that still has a public BERKLEY drop-off display box. They DO send the line back to Berkley for recycling into their "crates".

Unfortunately, neither Scheels stores in Lincoln or Omaha have the Berkley display boxes. The NEFGA bin at Scheels is no longer there.

I see you are from Lincoln, (thank you for listing!) so at this point, I would suggest sending the line to Berkley or dropping it off at another local recycling center. One that accepts plastic, milk jugs, etc would be most likely to accept it.

Important note, the Fishing Line Recycling Bins provided by NEFGA are there to collect line from the shores, pockets and bottom of vessels at the fishery. They are NOT designed to collect bulk spools of line from the home collection! I HAVE found Mal-wart bags tied to the bin posts with bulk line, which I appreciate and pick up. As long as they don't get stuffed in a bin that only gets visited a couple three times a year!

Harold F.

Report Fish/Game Violations:
          1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Working...
          X