Lake Poinsett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Poinsett

heading up first time tomorrow to fish this lake. Looks like a lot of water. Is there much structure? Points to fish? Rocks?Looks like a big dishbowl. Thought we would pull cranks until we stumbled on some fish. Just wondering what we where headed into, will be staying on south end of lake. Have fished other lakes in area but just thought it would be fun to try something new. Guess if it doesn’t work we can go back to,the old reliables.

Navionics web app should point you in the right direction. Fished there 4 times in my life and would say skip it and keep going north but that’s just me.

Comment

• JKL
      JKL commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed

What are you targeting? Walleye numbers in there are good but size quality is poor. This time of year the perch will start going. Try vertical jigging. Water is HIGH yet down there.

Comment

stay at a friends cabin up there all the time...the walleye numbers are good but the size is poor but they fry up just like perch....the one thing we do is fish in the weeds...a lot of spinners and some cranks if you can keep them clean....we also fish lighted slip bobbers at night off the dock but can be done in a boat and the fishing is always better on the wind blown shores....we also catch some really nice crappies fishing in the weeds and you will find perch there this time of year

Comment

Didn’t want to be one of the guys who ask for help and didn’t reply. All I can say is it was a tough trip. Poinsett was going through a huge algae bloom in the water, it was like pea soup. Few boats fishing for perch in the 18 ft. on west end. Few boats over buy bridge to the north east. Sounds like it was much better over the weekend. Took off and fished a couple of lakes to the west with enough small fish to keep us interested. Thank you for your help. Was wondering when you talk of weed beds we really never found what you where talking about on Poinsett. Structure was another thing I was wondering about, as it like a big bowl. Talked to a lot for locals who where really nice, just think we where aday late and a dollar short.

Comment

I haven't been up there in a couple months but the weed beds are in water less than 10' deep I do know the weeds were a little weird this year with the high water and the late spring but when I was up there in july there was weeds all over...not sure if they have already started to die off this year but usually we fish the weeds in September can do pretty well on the perch and crappies

Comment

Weeds where hard to find, and boy the lake was high for sure.

Comment

With the water being high are the courtesy docks still usable?
              When you have the option, please buy American made. If it does not save your job, it might save mine.

Comment

We put in at the park and boats where putting in on the westside with docks stil in place. A lot of private docks getting pulled

Comment

Working...
                X