Fisheries Division Projects, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fisheries Division Projects, 2019

I try to blog frequently about the variety of fisheries projects, angler access, aquatic habitat projects, etc. we have ongoing throughout Nebraska.  In many of those blogs I am able to provide some details about individual projects.  This blog post is not going to provide any details, I just want to give you a “50,000 …
    Daryl Bauer
    Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
    Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
    [email protected]
    http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Daryl,

what at can you tell me about the progress of the grabel, Ice House and Cherry Creek pond projects at this point? I know they started on them in 2018 late (at least they had planned to). I’m headed that way in a month and wanted to get an idea of fishable water up there beyond Carter P. Johnson, soldier and white river.
    "Man should fish for sport. I don't fish for meat. Fish meat is practically a vegetable" --Ron Swanson

Comment

Here is another good resource to stay a tune:

https://maps.outdoornebraska.gov/fisheriesprojects/

Comment

Hey Guys!

I am rejoining after a year hiatus and plan a short trip to either Stagecoach or Wagon Train this week. What is the status of refurbishment at Stagecoach? I remember that spring of 2018 was supposed to be re-stocking time there. Has that gone well?
        Not too long ago I think Wagon Train and blue algae were mentioned in the same sentence on the news. Has that settled down? Any advice?
        Thanks!

Fishinbuddy Larry
        Great fishermen aren't born.
        They're raised.

Comment

Daryl,

With so many new reservoir construction projects going on in the Omaha metro area, are there any plans for new reservoir construction projects in the Lincoln Metro?

Thanks.

Comment

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I was always led to believe that the purpose of these reservoirs were to mitigate flooding issues within the Papillion Creek Watershed which would explain why they are centered in and around the Omaha Metro area (and not lincoln). Sorry Fishw/theboyz, I feel your pain! Tough to see that many new reservoirs on the docket in another city.

Comment

Originally posted by Enginesen View Post
              Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I was always led to believe that the purpose of these reservoirs were to mitigate flooding issues within the Papillion Creek Watershed which would explain why they are centered in and around the Omaha Metro area (and not lincoln). Sorry Fishw/theboyz, I feel your pain! Tough to see that many new reservoirs on the docket in another city.
              One or many would be nice though with the Salt Creek downstream of Lincoln. Anytime they get 3"+, I can see the elevation meter go up 7-8' downstream

Comment

Originally posted by Fishnw/theboyz View Post
                Daryl,

With so many new reservoir construction projects going on in the Omaha metro area, are there any plans for new reservoir construction projects in the Lincoln Metro?

Thanks.
                That's more a question for the local/regional NRD. The Papillion NRD's are the ones planning and building the Metro reservoirs. G&P helps with the fishery development.

Comment

Originally posted by AV Angler View Post
                  Daryl,

what at can you tell me about the progress of the grabel, Ice House and Cherry Creek pond projects at this point? I know they started on them in 2018 late (at least they had planned to). I’m headed that way in a month and wanted to get an idea of fishable water up there beyond Carter P. Johnson, soldier and white river.
                  We are underway on the Ft. Rob project, but not done. Carter P. Johnson and the streams are going to be your best bet.

Daryl B.
                  Daryl Bauer
                  [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by LarryMillhouse View Post
                    Hey Guys!

I am rejoining after a year hiatus and plan a short trip to either Stagecoach or Wagon Train this week. What is the status of refurbishment at Stagecoach? I remember that spring of 2018 was supposed to be re-stocking time there. Has that gone well?
                    Not too long ago I think Wagon Train and blue algae were mentioned in the same sentence on the news. Has that settled down? Any advice?
                    Thanks!

Fishinbuddy Larry
                    Re-stocking of Stagecoach started a year ago. Fish there are going to be small yet.

Yes, there is a bluegreen algae bloom at Wagon Train. You can still fish there but you should not drink the water or swim in it.

Daryl B.
                    Daryl Bauer
                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Fishnw/theboyz View Post
                      Daryl,

Thanks.
                      We, the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission are NOT in the reservoir construction business. The Papio-Missouri River Natural Resource District is continuing to build flood-control reservoirs in the Omaha metro area and we will continue to work with them to make sure clean water, aquatic habitat and fishing are a part of as many of those projects as possible!

If any other NRD or other entity has plans to construct new reservoirs anywhere in the state, we will work with them too.

Daryl B.
                      Daryl Bauer
                      [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                      X