Trout Fishing in the Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trout Fishing in the Summer

Hi all, I'm newish to Nebraska fishing, and was wondering about the trout situation in the Omaha metro area as well as all the way to Lake Ogallala. Are the metro lakes/ponds stocked both in the spring and fall? And is the water cold enough for them to survive throughout the summer, or should I wait til they possibly stock again in the fall (mainly talking about Standing Bear and Lake Halleck)? Also, is Lake Ogallala cold enough for them all summer? Sorry for all the questions, thanks!

Most lakes are not going to hold trout through the summer and are typically stocked in fall and winter. Lake Ogallala and the river/canal below will hold trout year round as will some trout streams up in north central and northwestern Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by Taehyun View Post
      Hi all, I'm newish to Nebraska fishing, and was wondering about the trout situation in the Omaha metro area as well as all the way to Lake Ogallala. Are the metro lakes/ponds stocked both in the spring and fall? And is the water cold enough for them to survive throughout the summer, or should I wait til they possibly stock again in the fall (mainly talking about Standing Bear and Lake Halleck)? Also, is Lake Ogallala cold enough for them all summer? Sorry for all the questions, thanks!
      I've seen trout caught out of Standing Bear throughout the summer. They're in there.

Comment

The best way to catch trout in the summer time, if you live in Eastern Nebraska is to drive 5-8 hours in any direction. North to the Black Hills, South to Arkansas tailwaters, East to Northeastern Iowa or West to Ogallala, Verdigre area or Colorado. I do this every year.

During the spring, trout are dumped into dozens of ponds and five gallon buckets all over around Omaha. Although, this year was exceptionally bad due to flooding, the most reliable location to catch trout in Eastern Nebraska is Two Rivers State Recreation Area. It is stocked to the brim with nice sized rainbows and good until mid June. After that, you should target another species in this part of the state. They use to stock the Two Rivers lake in the fall. I wish they still did. The fish seemed to hold over and larger ones were catchable early in the spring on a fly rod. Some of the best and most enjoyable Trout fishing use to be at Two Rivers in the fall when the hoards of people were gone. But, someone decided to end that and my enjoyment of it.

Nebraska seems to treat trout as a species mostly intended to get kids interested in fishing. The stocked fish are somewhat easy to catch and people that really like to target the species are seen as a bit of an oddity around here. You will see a few people at Two Rivers with a fly rod or spin casting, but mostly, it is a parent and child drowning a night crawler or soaking power bait.

Comment

Put-and-take stockings of rainbow trout are done in urban and parks waters around the state in early spring and fall. Very few of those waters will support trout through the summer months. You will see notification about those stockings, when, where and how many, right here on this forum.

Nebraska does have cold-water habitats that will support trout year-around. You can find out all about those fisheries here:

Trout Fishing in Nebraska's Streams

I am here all the time, if you got questions, just ask!

Daryl B.
          Daryl Bauer
          Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
          Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
          [email protected]
          http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Living nearby and switching from warm water species to trout Oct - mid Apr I can offer that Lake Ogallala trouting has been poor for me the past 3 seasons. The diversion canal below the lake on the other hand has maintained a quality fishery for size if not #s. Typically, the method of choice is walking the canal drifting a worm with a 3/8 oz or heavier weight to reach bottom in the current. When the flow is reduced late Fall into Winter other methods utilizing drift floats and lures/flies are possible, personally I prefer under 500 cfps (cubic feet per second) outflow from L. Og into the canal. Luckily data is updated daily:
            https://www.cnppid.com/wp-content/up...RiverData.html

With fish spread out along 30 (?) miles of canal, most choose to fish 3 popular concrete bank holding spots.
            1. Below the L. Og outlet gate
            2. The outlet dump from a flume midway between Keystone and Paxton
            3. The outlet from the under I-80 tunnel south of Paxton

The 3 weirs across the North Platte River below the L.Og dam are also popular access spots. The large deep pool directly below the L. Og dam above the first weir can be excellent, or not, depending on harvest pressure. All spots mentioned are vulnerable to getting fished out, or nearly so, so hit or miss luck can be a deciding factor for success.

For fishing the canal or the L.Og dam walkway structure, a LONG handle or rope/cord drop landing net / cage is essential.

Things to keep in mind if making the long drive from eastern NE

Edit: forgot to mention, North Platte River below the 3rd weir is private property. Landowners are touchy about trespassing especially during hunting seasons.
            Last edited by Props; 09-06-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

There is good trout fishing in SE Minnesota around Preston and Lanesboro. However, some of the streams are closed as early as Sept. 15 for brown trout spawning. Check the web sites for maps and rules.

Comment

I would have to agree with Daryl on this one. I've never fished a trout stream in Nebraska but I've always wanted to. Anything with cold spring water can make them thrive.
                Here kitty kitty

Comment

You want summer trout fishing... Taneycomo next to Branson, MO and Table Rock Lake... This was just caught by one of the best known guides on TR...

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Bra...iS2ND-yxqE8fjc

Comment

• Luv2Decoy
                    Luv2Decoy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Amazing fish.

Originally posted by catatonic View Post
                  I would have to agree with Daryl on this one. I've never fished a trout stream in Nebraska but I've always wanted to. Anything with cold spring water can make them thrive.
                  Trout fishing in Nebraska is super fun. But, with the notable exception Lake Ogallala, it's tail, and the canal; a lot of our cold water trout streams are... small. Some are bigger then others, but by all definitions our trout streams are small stream fishing. They are super fun in their own right, but the first time I drive out to Solider Creek, I walked down to the Middle Branch and upon seeing the crossing said "I drove all the way across Nebraska for this?!?!"

Be prepared that a lot of these streams are shallow, meandering, have lots of close in trees, over hanging grass, and can make difficult targets to cast into particularly in the summer.... fly or spin.

But they are super fun and rewarding... Once you get the hang of how to fish them that is.

Comment

Working...
                  X