New to NE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to NE

Hey everybody, recently moved to Nebraska from Colorado. Looking for some new fishing buddies, don't really know anyone here. Used to catching a lot of smallmouth, various trout species, walleye, and the occasional pike. Excited to get into some monster catfish, and knock some of these new species off my list like the sturgeon and bowfin. Have already caught a gar, but wouldn't mind getting into some big gar either. Love to fish, fish every day. If anyone has any advice where I can get into/show me where some monster catfish (state record in colorado is only like 30 lbs) or any of the other species it would be greatly appreciated. Happy to road trip, pitch in for expenses etc..

Thanks - tight lines ladies and gentlemen

Welcome to Nebraska. Where are you going to be living?

Comment

Originally posted by Glens View Post
      Welcome to Nebraska. Where are you going to be living?
      Thank you I really appreciate that. I am currently living in lincoln, but I work in Omaha. So I am in both places every day. + willing to travel!

Comment

Branched Oak just northwest of Lincoln is a great lake for giant flatheads. There is an angler or two on here that know something about catching big flatties...

Comment

Originally posted by ericein View Post
          Branched Oak just northwest of Lincoln is a great lake for giant flatheads. There is an angler or two on here that know something about catching big flatties...
          Haven't tried branched oak yet. I have caught a 12 lb flat out of wildwood though.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully when they see it the catfish guys will chime in there are a couple of guys on here that are cat fishing gurus! Good luck!
            Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Originally posted by Jayomaha View Post
              Welcome to the forum! Hopefully when they see it the catfish guys will chime in there are a couple of guys on here that are cat fishing gurus! Good luck!
              Keep it safe! JDL
              Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Sledge View Post

Haven't tried branched oak yet. I have caught a 12 lb flat out of wildwood though.
                Not calling you a liar, because I absolutely could be wrong, but there shouldn't be flatheads in Wildwood to my knowledge. Just channel cats and bullheads. whitetips ??? That being said, Wildwood is an amazing channel catfish lake... just remember they are catch and release only there.

Got a picture by chance?

Comment

• Gillynelson
                  Gillynelson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There’s a few in there

Originally posted by ericein View Post

Not calling you a liar, because I absolutely could be wrong, but there shouldn't be flatheads in Wildwood to my knowledge. Just channel cats and bullheads. whitetips ??? That being said, Wildwood is an amazing channel catfish lake... just remember they are catch and release only there.

Got a picture by chance?
                I've been wondering about flathead in wildwood since this year's reg changes say you can now harvest flathead there

Comment

I fish mainly for cats and I recommend Oak Creek salt creek big blue and nemaha rivers for local area fishing

Comment

I don't have pictures, but I do have a witness. Definitely a flathead. my buddy caught a nice 14 lb channel too right before my flatty. Thanks for the recommendation sinkerguy. I've been looking at oak creek. Heard there are musky in there also. Would be a fun one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledge View Post
                      I don't have pictures, but I do have a witness. Definitely a flathead. my buddy caught a nice 14 lb channel too right before my flatty. Thanks for the recommendation sinkerguy. I've been looking at oak creek. Heard there are musky in there also. Would be a fun one.
                      Never seen any musky but that doesn't mean their not there not a lot of easy access makes it underpressured but watch your step lots of soft ground with slippery grass and the mud bottom is unforgiving

Comment

Thanks for that. Probably saves me from some stuff haha

Comment

Kansas, Iowa, South Dakota are your best bets. Eastern Nebraska is Bass country. If you want a Northern at Wanahoo. It will cost you and extra $25 bucks. Otherwise, get a hold of "We B Crankin" guide service to get on some BIG fish in Branched Oak. Dude has it figured out. Otherwise, experiment.

Comment

If you go to the Game and Parks website you can look at the Fishing Forecasts for the state as well as for the Omaha and Lincoln areas. They also have stocking information and information about what is in each lake.

Comment

Working...
                            X