Maloney Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report Maloney Report

I don't often see reports for Lake Maloney here, so maybe there's no interest, but I was just at a family gathering near North Platte for the past few days and had the chance to do a little fishing on the lake.

What worked: Trolling crankbaits (medium diving) in 8-15' along break lines, especially near points produced walleye (most about 13 inches) and we also hooked up with what seemed to be a very large drum that did us the favor of straightening out two of the hooks on the front treble of one unlucky crankbait.
    Balls of bait fish would show up on the sonar, suspended about halfway down in the water column, often joined by several more dense marks lingering just below them. Strangely, about 20 seconds later we would sometimes be saying, "fish on!"

What didn't work: Anything to do with fishing nightcrawlers or worms - on the bottom, under bobbers, etc. Nada. Disclaimer: we never fished for more than 3 hours at a shot, so maybe we just needed to soak the worms for longer than that. The worm techniques were also only tried in shallow (less than 8') water, and certainly not everywhere on the lake, but definitely areas adjacent to where other fish were caught!?!

The predominant thought was that it would be fun to stick around longer and learn the lake better to learn the answers to questions like "where on earth can you find a bluegill in this lake?" and "was that drum really 2 feet long?"

Western Ontario (and a chance at some smallmouth, big pike, muskie, and maybe a lake trout) in a couple weeks though...

Nate

It appears last years July wiper run is postponed or history, only the occasional stray C&R on a jig & the mussel dunkers appear to have cleaned those out. Disappointing to see or hear about the rare 10#+ being kept that were previously released. Typically the last few weeks I'd pull into the inlet parking at dawn all alone, cept on weekends baiters may have gotten dibs on the point. No wally waders lately, with keeper size nearly non-existent. It appears limiting out is no longer sustainable.

Yup, at Maloney drum can save an otherwise boring day, got a 7# in the outlet canal yesterday. Online sites like Barlows have stronger replacement hooks so straightening is preventable.

The inlet was an interesting place to observe local regulars success with their chosen styles - Neil with poppers, Murray with slabs, Billy with doll flies, Jack with jig trailer behind a popper, Ron with fat belly cranks, Rick with thumper tails, Butch with whatever it takes, and others. Hope to see y'all again soon.

Comment

That Lake and I have a love/hate relationship. It hates me and I love to hate it.

I have never been able to catch more than a fish or 2/day there. Numerous people that I trust, do very well there, but come July even their positive reports thin considerably.

Comment

Might be the same everywhere, but grass & weeds might tick you off. Few days ago when I got home one crawling on my pants, one on my shirts, & another had to be yanked out of my back.

Comment

Originally posted by Props View Post

The inlet was an interesting place to observe local regulars success with their chosen styles - Neil with poppers, Murray with slabs, Billy with doll flies, Jack with jig trailer behind a popper, Ron with fat belly cranks, Rick with thumper tails, Butch with whatever it takes, and others. Hope to see y'all again soon.
          Maloney inlet does provide habitat for a certain subculture of fishermen. A mid 90's memory will be forever etched in my mind.

Seven chest wader clad gentlemen fishing the south side of the inlet spread out at maybe 15 yards evenly apart. Each angler was exactly navel deep, which at a glance made the impression of being stamped from the same clay mold. All 7 were operating spin combos / doll fly / minnow. In the swift current I could see Plano minnow buckets (some yellow, some red topped) bobbing a few feet back and down stream of an angler. Each minnow bucket was attached to a lively rod holder protruding out of the water. Lively as in rod holders dancing with minnow buckets orchestrated by current.

Fishing on the adjacent side of the inlet looking into the distorted first rays of a morning sun. Picture all of this in early June, swift canal inflow, heavy cool almost cold air, dew stuck to everything. Crystal looking world of water droplets raining off the end of rod tips, mist from a subculture cast, sheen of the eddies on inlet water at daybreak. My field of view includes every performer of the ballet in descending order from the first mist off a cast to the last dancing minnow bucket and the morning sun behind.

Very obscure review of the actual event. Thanks for refreshing a memory Props!

dc

Comment

• Aftaeyes
            Aftaeyes commented
            Editing a comment
            "The Firing line" back in the day.

Here's a more current scenario - pulled into the empty parking lot by CB's Hideaway this Saturday morning with the sky just starting to lighten in the east. Check for boils in the lighted pool, shucks, nuthin showing. Still, after a 60 mile drive gotta give it a go, so twitched a wiper jig off the point, both sides of the concrete canal dump, and further down below CB's in the tail of the fast current. Bout an hour later without a bite drive out of the still empty inlet area and head for the outlet canal for some mostly dink smallies & cats just to feel some tugs for a few hours. Noticing the steady coming and going of vehicles on the east bank of the outlet gate nobody staying very long. Helplessly hoping the schoolie wipers will show up to bust the shadlets at dawn.

Comment

Stopped there on the way home from Big Mac in June. Fished 3 hours or so, and probably caught 35 walleye, two of which were keepers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jthod View Post
              Stopped there on the way home from Big Mac in June. Fished 3 hours or so, and probably caught 35 walleye, two of which were keepers.
              Most of our walleye were about 13” with one about 9” - would that match what you were seeing?

Comment

Originally posted by NateWC View Post

Most of our walleye were about 13” with one about 9” - would that match what you were seeing?
                Lots of 11-13"

Comment

Um, played around the outlet a little bit Saturday after our Carp-O-Rama event, they hammered the carp by the way, midday, had no problem drying off a bunch of smallies, mostly small, but had one that would go 14, 15 inches, another 12-13 inches, and a couple of small wipers.

Daryl B.
                  Daryl Bauer
                  Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                  Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                  [email protected]
                  http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Yesterday Monday before sunrise same ol' at the inlet, all by my lonesome with no bites and nobody around when I left at dawn. The outlet canal indeed is usually reliable for smallies, mostly stunted, in the entire 5 mile stretch down to the confluence with the S. Platte River. Also eater size channel cats - got four 1-3# mixed in with the smallies last session and more schoolie wipers & white bass could move in as the shadlets grow bigger than current 1". Perhaps tho we are now experiencing the result of last Summer's lineside fish kill?

Comment

Has anyone else witnessed the amount of carp in the inlet pool ? Thousands ! Occasionally jumping fish skittering over the backs of the pack. I tried jigging for wiper this morning, managing to fair hook 2 carp in the mouth & 3 fin snagged before I gave up. They're nearly as feisty as wipers in the fast water and decent size at 5-10#+ if anyone just wants to feel some solid drag rip tugs.

Comment

Working...
                      X