Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some fishing tips that won't work

Hello everyone,

I was hoping y'all could provide some insight. I read lots of great information on this forum about catching fish in Nebraska. For a change of pace, I was wondering if anyone had any really bad tips for catching fish. Can anyone think of a bait or lure that absolutely would not catch a bluegill, for example? Has anyone ever caught a fish by shouting at the water?
    Last week I was targeting crappie, so I called down to Famous Footwear to see if I'd have any luck there (thinking maybe I could pull one in through the phone line). They told me I wouldn't have any luck there, and not to call again. Not exactly the Midwestern hospitality I'm accustomed to, but I digress.

Originally posted by MildredBonk View Post
    Hello everyone,
    They told me I wouldn't have any luck there, and not to call again. Not exactly the Midwestern hospitality I'm accustomed to, but I digress.
    Millie....Nebraska hospitality isn't in question, here. You probably weren't holding your mouth right and they didn't feel you could keep your worms warm.

Comment

Stand in the water and cast onto the bank all the big fish don't like to get wet.

Comment

Tell your 7 year old how to retrieve the lure properly, and watch him do the exact opposite.....and then land a keeper walleye....and then you use his technique, and don't catch anything, and all the while he continues to catch fish....

Comment

Fish like stinky things. Use your sweaty gym socks for bait. Sure to land the big ones
          Don't let anybody else dictate how good your fishing trip or your day was. If you made memories, enjoyed the scenery, and were at peace with yourself and those around you, you had an awesome trip. God Bless

Comment

A few years ago, my then-6 year old son got tired of fishing for bluegill and insisted that he be allowed to hook up a plastic crawfish from my tackle bag on his size 8 hook underneath a red/white bobber. I put the hook through the plastic and thought that would be it for him (as in, he's done catching anything now - a suspended crawfish?) and within seconds, he had a 2 pound bass on the line peeling drag on his little Zebco rig.

So I learned to hold my tongue and keep an open mind when it comes to what will and will not catch fish. When the kids ask, "Can I put such and such on....?" I try to make it happen and then we all see what happens. Sometimes it gets interesting!

Comment

I use beer cans as lures, seams like a lot of other people do too by how many they must get snagged and lose in the lake!

Comment

Stay at home, sit on the couch.

Daryl B.
                Daryl Bauer
                Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
                Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
                daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
                http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

Originally posted by fish66 View Post
                  I use beer cans as lures, seams like a lot of other people do too by how many they must get snagged and lose in the lake!
                  What I'd like to know is who gets it in their head that it's good to be taking all my lures that I leave in strategic positions around the lake - I saw a whole group of folks picking up my lures and putting them in "trash" bags and hauling them away!!! Haven't they ever heard the saying "One man's trash is another one's treasure?"???

I didn't want to confront them about it, but I am ticked. Do you have any idea how long it will take to drink enough beer to replenish my tackle bag? It could be hours or even days!!!

I was really close to calling the hotline, but then I realized that I had left my phone at the bottom of the lake when I jumped out of the boat to have a word with them.

Comment

If I absolutely did not want to have to reel in a fish I would use a cheap toupee or a kosher dill pickle for bait.

Comment

A few years ago I was crappie fishing with my Dad and his best friend. We were throwing doll flies and Dad and I were catching a fish almost every cast. His buddy couldn’t seem to hook one although he was getting a hit on every cast. After about 10 fish, he finally checked his hook which had been clipped off by my Dad before we started.
                      Pretty funny and a sure way to not catch a fish.

Comment

• papag
                        papag commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's funny right there...

Try a buzz bait on top of the ice in January for pike on pelican lake in the Sandhills.

Comment

• NateWC
                        NateWC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You win.

Simply sing a catchy ‘here fishy fishy’ song. You can make it up as you go!! Oh, and sing loudly so they can hear you.
                      Last edited by bluelund; 06-18-2019, 09:20 AM. Reason: fixing a misspelling issue!!

Comment

Try oak lake if you want to catch walleye

Comment

Originally posted by Gar View Post
                          Try a buzz bait on top of the ice in January for pike on pelican lake in the Sandhills.
                          I've seen where both Sandbilly and Hankthecrank have fished on ice thin enough that one of them sandhills pike would have NO PROBLEM busting through for a meal!

HA!

H
                          Report Fish/Game Violations:
                          1-800-742-SNAP (7627)

Comment

Working...
                          X