This Is A Sticky Thread
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contest! NEFGA Catch of the Year!

Now introducing NEFGA’s “CATCH OF THE YEAR” C&R big fish board!

We have created a website specifically designed for YOU to submit your biggest fish and have it recognized as a NEFGA record fish! You can get to the website by using the new 'Catch of the Year' link in the Forum Navigation Bar, or by following this website link:

https://www.nefga.org/Catch

We will be running this program for the remainder of 2019. If all goes well, we will start over fresh in 2020. At the end of the year we will be giving out special badges for each of our record holding members to display under their forum names.

In order to be eligible for recognition, you must follow these rules...
    1. Fish must be taken by hook and line from Nebraska waters. Fish caught on banklines are not eligible. Fish must be hooked, played and landed by the applicant.
    2. The fish MUST be released alive in the same body of water where it was caught.
    3. Fish must be measured on a rigid "store bought" measuring device, clearly showing 1/4 inch increments. (i.e. Stanley extending tape measure, yard stick, bump board). Keep measuring devices straight with no bends or twists. No homemade measuring devices will be accepted.
    4. A minimum of two pictures are required. One picture of the fish’s length, and a second picture of you with the fish. Additional pictures may be required to clearly show the length of the fish if it's too long for one photo (see example below)
    5. The pictures must clearly identify the species of fish, the length measurements, and the angler. Additional pictures may be required for hybrids or fish not as easily identifiable by color patterns alone (i.e. tooth patches, fins, tails, etc.)
    6. The mouth of the fish should be shut, or it may not be considered, unless the mouth is on the underside of the fish
      (i.e. Catfish, Sucker, Sturgeon).
    7. New records must beat the current record by 1/4 inch.
    8. We will not accept applications for Pallid Sturgeon, Lake Sturgeon, or Paddlefish.
    9. NEFGA staff will be reviewing submissions. Applications will be rejected if there is any uncertainty of fish identification or length. TAKE GOOD PICTURES!
    10. Fish may not be entered if caught prior to 4/15/2019.
    Suggestions for good measurements:
    1. Keep the fish’s head on your left and tail on your right with the belly towards you.
    2. Measure the total length from the tip of the snout to the end of the tail, with lobes of tail squeezed together.
    3. Shovelnose Sturgeon must be measured from the tip of the snout, to the natural fork in the tail.
    4. Bump Boards are the preferred method of measuring but not required.

Example of fish on a bump board:

Example of using a tape measure with a bump board, and using more than one picture to show measurement of longer fish:

Example of fish with mouth open and closed, the mouth must be closed to be considered:

The process is simple! You catch a big fish, take good pictures, go to our website, and submit your application. Good Luck this year!!
    Last edited by Flash04jv; 04-29-2019, 08:18 PM.

Sounds kool. Fish by myself so kind of hard to do a picture with me and the fish. Good luck to all the forum members! Have a great season!
    Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

Originally posted by Jayomaha View Post
      Sounds kool. Fish by myself so kind of hard to do a picture with me and the fish. Good luck to all the forum members! Have a great season!
      Keep it safe! JDL
      One option is to buy a selfie stick from Amazon Smile. Make sure NEFGA is selected as the organization you support.

Thank you NEFGA!

Comment

Originally posted by Jayomaha View Post
        Keep it safe! JDL
        Not hard at all, hold the fish safely and do your best selfie.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          Now introducing NEFGA’s “CATCH OF THE YEAR” C&R big fish board!

We have created a website specifically designed for YOU to submit your biggest fish and have it recognized as a NEFGA record fish! You can get to the website by using the new 'Catch of the Year' link in the Forum Navigation Bar, or by following this website link:

https://www.nefga.org/Catch

We will be running this program for the remainder of 2019. If all goes well, we will start over fresh in 2020. At the end of the year we will be giving out special badges for each of our record holding members to display under their forum names.

In order to be eligible for recognition, you must follow these rules...
          1. Fish must be taken by hook and line from Nebraska waters. Fish caught on banklines are not eligible. Fish must be hooked, played and landed by the applicant.
          2. The fish MUST be released alive in the same body of water where it was caught.
          3. Fish must be measured on a rigid "store bought" measuring device, clearly showing 1/4 inch increments. (i.e. Stanley extending tape measure, yard stick, bump board). Keep measuring devices straight with no bends or twists. No homemade measuring devices will be accepted.
          4. A minimum of two pictures are required. One picture of the fish’s length, and a second picture of you with the fish. Additional pictures may be required to clearly show the length of the fish if it's too long for one photo (see example below)
          5. The pictures must clearly identify the species of fish, the length measurements, and the angler. Additional pictures may be required for hybrids or fish not as easily identifiable by color patterns alone (i.e. tooth patches, fins, tails, etc.)
          6. The mouth of the fish should be shut, or it may not be considered, unless the mouth is on the underside of the fish
            (i.e. Catfish, Sucker, Sturgeon).
          7. New records must beat the current record by 1/4 inch.
          8. We will not accept applications for Pallid Sturgeon, Lake Sturgeon, or Paddlefish.
          9. NEFGA staff will be reviewing submissions. Applications will be rejected if there is any uncertainty of fish identification or length. TAKE GOOD PICTURES!
          10. Fish may not be entered if caught prior to 4/15/2019.
          Suggestions for good measurements:
          1. Keep the fish’s head on your left and tail on your right with the belly towards you.
          2. Measure the total length from the tip of the snout to the end of the tail, with lobes of tail squeezed together.
          3. Shovelnose Sturgeon must be measured from the tip of the snout, to the natural fork in the tail.
          4. Bump Boards are the preferred method of measuring but not required.

Example of fish on a bump board:

Example of fish with mouth open and closed, the mouth must be closed to be considered:

The process is simple! You catch a big fish, take good pictures, go to our website, and submit your application. Good Luck this year!!
          thats some pike....46 inches....
          Last edited by Flash04jv; 04-29-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• swoab47
            swoab47 commented
            Editing a comment
            Musky.

Originally posted by Flash04jv View Post

Not hard at all, hold the fish safely and do your best selfie.

Thats all good but I want to see you do that w a 50# flatty

Comment

Just go ahead and give me the flatty badge

Comment

Originally posted by snowgoose100 View Post

Thats all good but I want to see you do that w a 50# flatty
              Use the timer.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash04jv View Post

Use the timer.

Ill have to look never seen one

Comment

Point of order: Since I primarily rely on a tape measure, does the tape need to be wholly visible or can the fish be laying on the tape. Or is either fine...

For example, from these pre-2019 fish... is the wiper pic okay, the redear pic, or both?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0182.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.9 KB ID:	1228021
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7942.jpg
Views:	1434
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	1228023
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ericein; 04-16-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

All,
                    We decided to change rule #4 to keep things more consistent and fair. We will not accept measuring devices that are soft or flimsy. Thanks for understanding!

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
                      All,
                      We decided to change rule #4 to keep things more consistent and fair. We will not accept measuring devices that are soft or flimsy. Thanks for understanding!
                      Well that makes it tough. Will a Stanley tape work? My bump board only goes to 36

Comment

• Harold
                        Harold commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Duh- see "musky" photo above!

Originally posted by snowgoose100 View Post

Well that makes it tough. Will a Stanley tape work? My bump board only goes to 36
                      Any self retracting tape measure that has a minimum standout of 48 inches will be acceptable.
                      NEFGA on Amazon Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by JKL View Post

Any self retracting tape measure that has a minimum standout of 48 inches will be acceptable.
                        Thats gonna be too small!! Lo

Comment

• Gillynelson
                          Gillynelson commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Stop teasing us

On the board!

I doubt it will take very long for someone to best this one.

16.5" Largemouth Bass

Comment

Working...
                        X