Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catch and Release State Records program.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jthod
    started a topic Catch and Release State Records program.

Catch and Release State Records program.

Seems like a great idea to me. Several other states have live release records, separate from the certified weight record, which in most cases necessitate the harvest of the fish.

There are a couple states that have just recently started this program. Most of them set a minimum length to apply for the record, I suppose to keep from flooding their system with sub-par fish. (Minnesota Minimum for Musky is 57")

Examples:

https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/...sbyLength.aspx
    https://idfg.idaho.gov/fish/record/catch-and-release
    https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/rec...seRecords.html
    https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/staterecords.html
    https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish...&browse=Submit

Texas does take this further, and even has separate records for fly fishing.

• DeadSpool
    commented on 's reply
    ?? are you saying you purposely do NOT try and catch bigger fish? So you are not tempted to molest them?

• Harold
    commented on 's reply
    A "simple" 3D app added to your Smart Phone, photo's sent digitally direct to a 3D printer for colors, size and shape reproduction, Then weigh with your USPS certified digital scale before releasing to be caught again.

• Tone2129
    replied
    I love this idea.

However; asking Nebraska Game and Fish to do additional work, or add an additional program? Good luck. Their NEW (emphasis added) leave a lot to be desired.

Leave a comment:

• Nooga
    commented on 's reply
    during my time in omaha, I did get to see some interesting things. an estimated 2lb 'piranha' (could have been a pacu -t was dead and floating; I didn't attempt to handle it), a brace of 5 lb hybrids (wipers) also floating at the docks at Z.

then there was that little alligator/cayman ran across in the timber just north of the boat ramp at Wehrspann.

none of them would survive. but didn't stop folks from trying or whatever it was they were doing.

• Gar
    replied
    Last summer I CPR a potential state record piranhabass.

Leave a comment:

• Nooga
    commented on 's reply
    C&R, or CPR, will always result in lower, less mortality than harvest. NOT handling, catching will always result in lower, less mortality as than C&R, CPR. just the way it works.

no, I will not stop catching, attempting to catch, in order to lessen my impact on populations or individuals within that population.

it's an interesting group of people that are 'us anglers' with incredibly complex 'wants'. just read through the threads about why we can't stock walleyes, why we can't have wipers, why we can't have zander, marlin, shad stockings.

have a great weekend all.

• Kenai King
    commented on 's reply
    Please. Misidentified you. Lots of former members come back under diffetent screen names happens more than you think. Like I said my bad. Just trying to lighten up the mood.

• DakotaAngler
    replied
    Originally posted by piscatorious View Post

You are completely missing the point. It has nothing to do with harvesting big fish, most responsible anglers don't. It's the probability of the increased chase, all for some notoriety, and all the handling stress bestowed on the most vulnerable segment of the fish population that is paramount in this idea.

Thank the Lord Daryl has his reservations and isn't completely on board........yet.
    Not missing the point at all. Just saying that you are completely wrong.

Leave a comment:

• BSS TRKR
    commented on 's reply
    You seem to be missing the connection between greater participation and greater funding (through license fees, Wallop-Breaux dollars, etc).

• piscatorious
    replied
    Originally posted by DakotaAngler View Post

This is totally flawed thinking. Catch and release will still result in lower fish mortality than harvesting. If I catch and release 100 bluegill on a good day of ice fishing, there is no way 15 of them die from being caught and released.
    You are completely missing the point. It has nothing to do with harvesting big fish, most responsible anglers don't. It's the probability of the increased chase, all for some notoriety, and all the handling stress bestowed on the most vulnerable segment of the fish population that is paramount in this idea.

Thank the Lord Daryl has his reservations and isn't completely on board........yet.

Leave a comment:

• Kenai King
    replied
    Just have minimum requirements so the onslaught of weekend warriors trying to get their name on a list are not mishandling and molesting thousands of fish.

In fishermen has been doing this for years with their catch and release MA program. Just set minimum requirements like 23" for LMB , 18" for crappie etc. This might help the masses from submitting countless numbers of molested fish.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaAngler
    replied
    Originally posted by piscatorious View Post

Exactly........Just what the big fish population needs, a more concentrated effort out there harassing, molesting, mishandling and abusing our limited resource. Stupid idea? I would definitely say so. SMH!
    This is totally flawed thinking. Catch and release will still result in lower fish mortality than harvesting. If I catch and release 100 bluegill on a good day of ice fishing, there is no way 15 of them die from being caught and released.

Leave a comment:

• Kenai King
    replied
    You make it seem that all of a sudden there are easily attainable state record worthy fish out there. In my 50 years of fishing I have caught 1 fish that may have exceeded a state record. Now all of a sudden molesting, harrassing, and molesting fish in an effort to release to help sustain a rare fish is more negative than whacking one to get a record ??

I dont think this will turn into combat fishing like snagging reds in Alaska elbow to elbow. You guys crack me up.

Leave a comment:

• piscatorious
    replied
    Originally posted by Nooga View Post

some might suggest that MORE angling activity by MORE people (good for the sport! good for more dollars!) would actually UP the 'peril factor'. More folks handling more fish, even carefully and with C&R in mind, results in increased mortality. just the way it works.
    Exactly........Just what the big fish population needs, a more concentrated effort out there harassing, molesting, mishandling and abusing our limited resource. Stupid idea? I would definitely say so. SMH!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X