Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catch and Release State Records program.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I qualified a fish in the Idaho's C&R books last December. Simple process and agree it's pretty cool to have a shot at something like that.

Comment

Great idea. The current state record qualification process makes it really hard to properly release a potential record fish. What a great way to promote more catch and release of trophy fish.

Cheaters are dbags and to even brew up potential ways of cheating says a lot about ones character. Most of if not all of the cheating scandals I have encountered on the kayak tourney trail are those who are desperate to make a name for themselves and because of the money aspect.

I could see someone desperate for fame or an ego boost to cheat. But that unfortunately is the world we live in. Most species would max out and honest non cheaters would weed out the losers.

I caught a 19" crappie that was heavily scrutinized because I had the tip of my index finger in its mouth for a picture because it was flopping around so much. Prior, I measured with mouth shut, tail pinched and it was 19. Really nothing for me to gain from the outer world. For me it was a personal accomplishment I had been pursuing for almost 20 years. Believe me, I came up short several times.

In conclusion, put me down for the black crappie release record for Nebraska @ 19".πŸ˜„

Comment

• Jthod
        Jthod commented
        Editing a comment
        Great points, Thanks Andy

Originally posted by Jthod View Post

Wow, piscatorious in true form. Don't you have a bridge to hide under somewhere?

How does it not have substance? A whole new chance for every angler in the state to be able to beat a NEW record, and have their name in the record books.

It promotes catch and release, which is some would argue to be the right thing to do with a trophy fish.

Did you click a single link posted in this thread?
      Well obviously you have no comprehension of reality if you are going to attack my intelligence as trolling. Maybe you otta go visit a mirror.

As mike fink alluded to earlier, very few people know, or even care, who holds current species specific state records. It is entirely an ego thing to have ones name listed in the directory unless trying trying to impress for a sponsorship. Personally, I could care less if other people know, or believe, the size of the fish I catch. God, and my conscience, know and I could care less about public notoriety. Public notoriety is nothing more than an ego booster.

Now as for the cheating comments, those that feel the need to make generalized ignorant accusations need to get their heads out of their......a......the sand, we're not ostriches. If there's a will someone will find a way to cheat. Some of you yakers & tournament guys have already acknowledged that aspect. Once again, it boils down to ego stroking, or in the case of tournament competition or guiding, a financial, including sponsorships, issue.

Most real, and experienced, conservationist fisher people could care less about state records, they already know size limitations of individual species and gauge their catches accordingly, and if one feels the need to brag a picture is worth a thousand words.

A catch and release state record category would mean next to nothing, except to those on the list, mainly because the majority of us authentic and dedicated anglers could care less. I know my ego sure doesn't need stroking. I've caught enough big fish over my lifetime that I try to avoid them in lieu of eating size fish.

As an honest challenge to you opinionated critics, without looking at the book listings, tell us who holds a NE state record fish in any category. I'll bet there's not one person out there, unless it's himself, a family member or close friend, that can list one.

Comment

• Jthod
        Jthod commented
        Editing a comment
        I have no issues with differing opinions.

I have issues when is posted in a pretentious and arrogant manner.

• C.N.
        C.N. commented
        Editing a comment
        One must have something for it to be attacked. AKA intelligence?!? You rarely display it

• piscatorious
        piscatorious commented
        Editing a comment
        "C.N.
        #18.4
        C.N. commented
        01-19-2019, 07:20 AM
        One must have something for it to be attacked. AKA intelligence?!? You rarely display it"

Talking about yourself again, eh?

...hmmm. It's almost as if someone is sounding a bit like a unknowing troll, spouting off on a thread they didn't start and only contributing negatively ...... a.k.a. like a "opinionated critic"..... almost.... A public record of big fish caught isn't going to hurt anyone. It will only promote c&r of big fish, which may draw more anglers, money, and support to fisheries (swimming fillet stocking) in the future. An angler doesn't have to submit a big fish for scrutiny unless they want to, and it can be ignored like anything else if someone chooses.
      Last edited by creekychub; 01-18-2019, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Never met the person, but pretty sure Steve Lytle holds the state record for Wiper, but can't confirm because names aren't posted in the fishing guide beside the record weights for each fish anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by piscatorious View Post

As an honest challenge to you opinionated critics, without looking at the book listings, tell us who holds a NE state record fish in any category. I'll bet there's not one person out there, unless it's himself, a family member or close friend, that can list one.
          Alan Paap jr black crappie. Paul I think Appledon or something for LMB. I know I got 1 right so you owe me.....a beer ! Not Natty light but like a Newcastle or something good and heavy.

Comment

I personally love the idea of a C&R State Record. Especially if it reset every year. I believe that it would encourage people to both pursue and release big fish.

I could care less if my name gets published in a book or whatever, but it is fun to set goals and try to attain them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiperfan View Post
              Never met the person, but pretty sure Steve Lytle holds the state record for Wiper, but can't confirm because names aren't posted in the fishing guide beside the record weights for each fish anymore.
              It's all here, and yes, Steve Lytle still holds the rod & reel state record for wiper.

State Record List

Daryl B.
              Daryl Bauer
              Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
              Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
              daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
              http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

"I think.....or something" ain't close enough to get a cigar or .

I find it interesting that whenever a person on this forum has an opinion that doesn't agree with the status quo clique they are deemed negative or a troll. (insert Rolling Eyes here if we had one)

I, personally, could care less if NE adopts a C&R state record category. IMO it's a stupid idea, and if we ever do it will mean absolutely nothing other than to those listed. Most people don't even look at state records other than to see how large certain species get in a given region or if they catch an extremely big fish. Quite honestly, I've never really understood why some people feel the need to submit multiple MA entries. I have landed, and released, hundreds of MAs in my lifetime and never submitted one for certificate. I, and who ever was fishing with me, know and that's all that really matters.

Comment

I find it interesting that whenever a person on this forum has an opinion that doesn't agree with the status quo clique they are deemed negative or a troll. (insert Rolling Eyes here if we had one)

I, personally, could care less if NE adopts a C&R state record category. IMO it's a stupid idea, and if we ever do it will mean absolutely nothing other than to those listed. Most people don't even look at state records other than to see how large certain species get in a given region or if they catch an extremely big fish. Quite honestly, I've never really understood why some people feel the need to submit multiple MA entries. I have landed, and released, hundreds of MAs in my lifetime and never submitted one for certificate. I, and who ever was fishing with me, know and that's all that really matters.
                  I knew it, you're Hooligan !

Comment

• Kenai King
                    Kenai King commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh dang it. Thought I was Sherlock Holmes for a second. Can the real Hooligan stand up ?

Oh, and by BTW, I didn't type : You're a hooligan, so no name calling here. Forgive me, only members since 2010 would understand my joke. My bad.

Hooligan did not have a rap sheet but the similarities are uncanny.

• piscatorious
                    piscatorious commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You were almost forgiven, until that last sentence. Piscatorious is the name, anything other than that, in my book, is thought of as condescending name calling. I find it interesting how a chosen few are allowed free rein.

• Kenai King
                    Kenai King commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Please. Misidentified you. Lots of former members come back under diffetent screen names happens more than you think. Like I said my bad. Just trying to lighten up the mood.

I disagree. Times have changed. Resources are in peril. We need to promote catch-and-release over harvest at every opportunity. A C&R state record program promotes C&R over harvest. It sends a message, the right message. I don't see a downside, other than folks like yourself thinking it is stupid.

Comment

I think it could be fun and should promote catch and release. I’m not seeing the downside.

Comment

There is never a downside to catch and release fundamentals, regardless of size. It's the state record documentation aspect of it that's silly and nonsensical.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaAngler View Post

I disagree. Times have changed. Resources are in peril. We need to promote catch-and-release over harvest at every opportunity. A C&R state record program promotes C&R over harvest. It sends a message, the right message. I don't see a downside, other than folks like yourself thinking it is stupid.
                        perhaps this should go to a different thread, but words do mean 'stuff'.

'resources are in peril'? sounds disastrously ominous! how long do we have to act before we no longer have any resources at all?
                        are resources under pressure? over-fishing? transport of invasive species? yes to all of that.

some might suggest that MORE angling activity by MORE people (good for the sport! good for more dollars!) would actually UP the 'peril factor'. More folks handling more fish, even carefully and with C&R in mind, results in increased mortality. just the way it works. then the remaining fish get 'edu-muh-cated' and change behaviorally leading casual anglers to complain about how fishing has sure gotten worse, how we need a responsive DNR who STOCKS more fish so we can catch more fish.

been around a while. it's really really predictable.

No offense intended Dak, I understand what you are saying, where you're coming from. at least a little bit.

just remember all: more folks out there being 'interested' means more folks out there with you, rubbing elbows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roaring-river13_72.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1221864

Comment

• DakotaAngler
                          DakotaAngler commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Peril is just a synonym for threatened.

I would rather be at a crowded lake with everyone catching and releasing than at a less busy lake with everyone filling their buckets.

I like the idea of this a lot, especially if it resets every year. I like knowing about big fish caught – not just state records. When I was a kid, I loved looking at the fishing guide to see what the state records were – and back then I could name a few of the Record holders., Now, not as many. Rare catches and any associated circumstances are interesting to me, especially if it is local news. I can’t remember the name of the kid that caught the Muskie in the Papio – but that was a great story.

Comment

• Jthod
                          Jthod commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think a biggest fish of the year in each species would be a cool idea.

Show a leaderboard with the biggest 5 of the year or something.

How cool would it be to say I caught the biggest drum in Nebraska 5 years in a row...lol
                      Working...
                      X