Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catch and Release State Records program.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catch and Release State Records program.

Seems like a great idea to me. Several other states have live release records, separate from the certified weight record, which in most cases necessitate the harvest of the fish.

There are a couple states that have just recently started this program. Most of them set a minimum length to apply for the record, I suppose to keep from flooding their system with sub-par fish. (Minnesota Minimum for Musky is 57")

Examples:

https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/...sbyLength.aspx
    https://idfg.idaho.gov/fish/record/catch-and-release
    https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/rec...seRecords.html
    https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/staterecords.html
    https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish...&browse=Submit

Texas does take this further, and even has separate records for fly fishing.

A cool idea. It could be as simple as keeping track of the longest C&R master angler entry for whatever species.

Comment

This would be a great idea!
      Iowa State!

@JimVanBruggen

Comment

Not going to say I am against the idea, and if we ever did something like that I would say setting minimums for fish to qualify would be an excellent idea. I would also say that I do not know that we need catch & release records for all species.

One thing you really need to think about: How much do you trust a fisherman? Yes, I know, rules would require verification, but I also know that once egos get involved, there are lots of ways to cheat.

Think about it,

Daryl B.
        Daryl Bauer
        Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
        Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
        daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
        http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

The other thing to think about is what the fisherman is getting out of it.

Not like they are paying out a prize for a state record. Require good quality pictures, and state that is subject to judging before it can be verified.

We've seen cheating happen in kayak tournaments when a bump board is used, so there is that possibility.

Comment

It ain't like stealing apples, cheating takes all the fun out of it and leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth. If you catch a nice fish, take a quick couple pictures and have a synthetic mount made. I can't tell you a single persons name that is in a "record book" in this or any other state. The memory is personal so best kept that way. Bragging rights are fun with friends and you can share some proof.

Comment

How does that saying go?

All fisherman are liars except you and me and sometimes I wonder about you.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetips View Post
                Not going to say I am against the idea, and if we ever did something like that I would say setting minimums for fish to qualify would be an excellent idea. I would also say that I do not know that we need catch & release records for all species.

One thing you really need to think about: How much do you trust a fisherman? Yes, I know, rules would require verification, but I also know that once egos get involved, there are lots of ways to cheat.

Think about it,

Daryl B.
                Dang I wish something like this was around last summer when I caught that 9 1/2" Bluegill that tipped the scales at "6 Pounds"

Comment

Here’s an idea for some computer genius: Make an phone app that takes a picture and records the dimensions accurately ‘no matter’ how close or far away the camera is. It would have to measure the distance the camera is away from the fish at several points, then capture the dimensions. All records applied for would have to use the app. Easy peasy, right? Even I would buy that app...

I know l’d be lost without being able to embellish, lie just sounds bad, but if it’s documentation you want, this would be one way to get it. At least until someone figures out how to cheat this too.

Comment

• Harold
                    Harold commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A "simple" 3D app added to your Smart Phone, photo's sent digitally direct to a 3D printer for colors, size and shape reproduction, Then weigh with your USPS certified digital scale before releasing to be caught again.

love this idea!

Comment

I like how Iowa does their master angler program... the entries are uploaded to their website so you can see what everyone caught and they maintain a bunch of different leader boards for competition. Would be neat to have a biggest MA of the year for each species. I wish we had something like this here.

https://programs.iowadnr.gov/masterangler/

Catch and release state records is a cool idea, but I feel like after a while it would be like the current state records... most species would be close to their biological maxes and there wouldn't be much movement.

My two cents.

Comment

• Jthod
                      Jthod commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When you find a good IT guy, send them my way, I could use some help at work too.

• Nuwin
                      Nuwin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sup? Show me the money and I will show you a good IT guy. lol

• frogmanjim
                      frogmanjim commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am impressed with Iowa's database and hope Nebraska could copy.

Originally posted by ericein View Post
                    I like how Iowa does their master angler program... the entries are uploaded to their website so you can see what everyone caught and they maintain a bunch of different leader boards for competition. Would be neat to have a biggest MA of the year for each species. I wish we had something like this here.

https://programs.iowadnr.gov/masterangler/

Catch and release state records is a cool idea, but I feel like after a while it would be like the current state records... most species would be close to their biological maxes and there wouldn't be much movement.

My two cents.
                    Now that is a cool idea. love the leaderboard thing.

Iowa actually did something cool....that's new.

Comment

• Nooga
                      Nooga commented
                      Editing a comment
                      here's an idea: instead of asking/waiting for the 'gummint' to do this (oh, and then, when someone puts that 23.5" LMB on the board, you're 'done' for like, ever), if you really like the 'leaderboard' approach, why not make it yearly?

why not host just 'that' on this forum?

generate excitement, interest that 'starts all over again' each year.

• Jthod
                      Jthod commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I like it. They way I see it, this could be a great way to generate more interest in fishing, and trophy fishing in particular. Not to mention, it's allowing those that catch these record fish to release them safely, not toss them in the freezer until they can meet a CO at a certified scale.

Originally posted by Jthod View Post
                    Require good quality pictures, and state that is subject to judging before it can be verified.

We've seen cheating happen in kayak tournaments when a bump board is used, so there is that possibility.
                    Well here's an idea.......If it ever happens maybe I could just go and make myself an perfect counterfeit copy of the the certified bump board on my 3D printer @ 1/2" = 1" & send in some really nice scaled photos.

Catch & release state records is a really silly idea and doesn't accomplish anything of real substance.

Comment

Originally posted by piscatorious View Post

Well here's an idea.......If it ever happens maybe I could just go and make myself an perfect counterfeit copy of the the certified bump board on my 3D printer @ 1/2" = 1" & send in some really nice scaled photos.

Catch & release state records is a really silly idea and doesn't accomplish anything of real substance.
                      False!
                      ​Go Big Red!!

Comment

Originally posted by piscatorious View Post

Wow, piscatorious in true form. Don't you have a bridge to hide under somewhere?

How does it not have substance? A whole new chance for every angler in the state to be able to beat a NEW record, and have their name in the record books.

It promotes catch and release, which is some would argue to be the right thing to do with a trophy fish.

Did you click a single link posted in this thread?

Comment

Working...
                        X