Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School me on Missouri River bass fishing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Missouri River bass fishing...

It’s a bucket list item for me this year to get on the Missouri River to catch some smallmouth and/or largemouth. Never been before. Seems like most drive up to Sioux City and put in there? Anyone have tips on navigating the river (which is my biggest concern)? What do I need to look for to locate bass in a river system? Is it mainly find the most productive wing dams and slough and go with it?

Can't help you with the bass. When I first started fishing the river I went out with some of the local "river rats" in their boats. I learned what the channel markers mean, where the trail, wing dikes, and chevrons were. Where sandbars were likely to form and dealing with barge traffic. If you choose to just go for it , get a good depth finder, always wear a life jacket, and take your time.

Comment

Originally posted by yote_trapper20 View Post
      It’s a bucket list item for me this year to get on the Missouri River to catch some smallmouth and/or largemouth. Never been before. Seems like most drive up to Sioux City and put in there? Anyone have tips on navigating the river (which is my biggest concern)? What do I need to look for to locate bass in a river system? Is it mainly find the most productive wing dams and slough and go with it?
      I, too, plan to take a whack at this in the summer. If you are looking for a partner or would prefer to tag along with me, I'm up for it either way. Other than the Missouri River lakes in SD and ND, I've only ever had my boat (a 21ft bass boat) on the Missouri River once and that was in Bismarck, ND. Just judging by how the river looks from the road, I would say that the river was more treacherous there than it was around Sioux City.

I am not a river rat by any means so I like to start down stream and then work my way up river. This allows me to use the current to help me off of a sand bar if I got stuck.

Comment

There is or was a member who is from what I see from his posts that is kind of a River rat. I think he changed his username but maybe he will see this post and join the conversation, I once sent him a PM and he indicated he was willing to share some Mo. river knowledge. Good luck on the mighty Mo.
        Keep it safe! JDL

Comment

• Nooga
          Nooga commented
          Editing a comment
          ask cougar

i'll say this: if it's catching you are wanting to do, I'd head up to the glacier lakes region of SD. numbers and some real magnums

Originally posted by Steve81 View Post

I, too, plan to take a whack at this in the summer. If you are looking for a partner or would prefer to tag along with me, I'm up for it either way. Other than the Missouri River lakes in SD and ND, I've only ever had my boat (a 21ft bass boat) on the Missouri River once and that was in Bismarck, ND. Just judging by how the river looks from the road, I would say that the river was more treacherous there than it was around Sioux City.

I am not a river rat by any means so I like to start down stream and then work my way up river. This allows me to use the current to help me off of a sand bar if I got stuck.
        Pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by yote_trapper20 View Post
          Go farther upstream. Gavins Point Dam and up from there. Fish on Lewis & Clark Reservoir itself, but if you want to experience the river fishing I would go even farther upstream, Niobrara, Verdel, Sunshine Bottoms.

Go upstream to start with and go slow. Channels and sandbars shift from time to time and if you run up on a sandbar it is a lot easier to get off if you were going upstream than if you were going downstream.

What kind of habitat do smallmouth bass prefer?

Hmmm, current and rocks would be a good place to start.

What kind of habitat do largemouth bass prefer?

Someplace out of the current, some backwater areas with lots of cover would be likely spots.

Ton of water to explore, and a variety of fish you might catch!

Daryl B.
          Daryl Bauer
          Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
          Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
          daryl.bauer@nebraska.gov
          http://ourdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Comment

• fjdiv
            fjdiv commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know what Whitetips is talking about: "river fishing I would go even farther upstream, Niobrara, Verdel, Sunshine Bottoms." No fish up there! ​​​​​​​

In all seriousness, Mr. Bauer is exactly right, but I've always been interested in catching quality fish closer to Omaha. Easier said then done however. That river up there near Niobrara is simply beautiful.
        Working...
        X