X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samfletcher
    started a topic Fremont power plant canal

Fremont power plant canal

Has any one fished the discharge canal from the Fremont power station? Runs from Fremont to the Elkhorn river. Never ices over. No good ice locally so looking for somewhere to fish. Thanks.

• Flash04jv
    replied
    Guess I'll post a few pics if it helps anyone wanting to go while they wait for safe ice. Didn't want to burn a spot too bad for someone, but I really don't think it would upset anyone. It seems like more of a just unique place to go try than a honey hole.

The 2 goldfish I saw in bottom pic along with countless carp you can't really see, and video of some commons is sort of hard to see but you should be able to see them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190105_171424.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1220908

Name:	20190105_171409.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1220909

Name:	20190105_105824.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1220910

Leave a comment:

• Flash04jv
    replied
    It's just right along the road. Many power plant vehicles went in and out, they looked at me like it was a normal sight. I did however stay on the south side of the ditch, signs on the little overpasses say no trespassing, so I just didn't cross the signs to be sure. I drove around to the east side of the tracks and walked a lot of that stretch too, but the steam faded and there was runoff water pouring in so I'm guessing the water isn't as warm the farther east you go. Barely saw any fish the farther east I went, tiny carp and sunfish. That water near the plant must be very warm, those fish felt like hand warmers when I was taking the hooks out.

There were plenty of fish there and it is nice to open water fish in winter, I got out my fly rod before I left, easy casting and the sunfish are easy to catch, but unless you want to catch sunfish, smallish Commons, or just try something new, it may not be worth the drive. I plan to go again this summer to see if different fish migrate back up.

Leave a comment:

• piscatorious
    replied
    Originally posted by Aspen View Post
    Where is there public access? I would love to find somewhere closer to home to winter fly fish!
    It's basically a county road ditch until you get east near the sewer treatment plant.

Leave a comment:

• Aspen
    replied
    Where is there public access? I would love to find somewhere closer to home to winter fly fish!

Leave a comment:

• Flash04jv
    replied
    I went this morning quickly, first time. Cool spot, very clear water, shallower than I expected. Caught a crazy amount of Green sunfish, kept weeding them out hoping something else would be in there, and 2 small Bluegill. Saw hundreds of Common Carp, some Bluegill, lots of Green Sunfish, couple dozen Largemouth Bass, a few small Channel Catfish, and 2 small goldfish. Thanks for pointing it out, fun to fish somewhere different like that for a change.

Leave a comment:

• Matt402
    replied
    I’m a fly fisher from Omaha who targets carp (catch and release) and am very interested in this for winter fishing. I’ll gladly trade someone a bottle of Knob Creek whisky to show me where there’s carp there. Send me a message if interested. I have off this Friday and Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• Gar
    replied
    I heard that there was often a bunch of catfish that would congregate on the outside of the fencing separating the ditch from the farm, as the fish wanted to get in and get fed.

Leave a comment:

• e01977hunt
    replied
    Now that you bring up the catfish farm, did he have some get away from him and end up in the discharge creek? Seems to me that’s why we where fishing it back then. Would have been 1975 76ish.

Leave a comment:

• ClearCreek
    replied
    Originally posted by Gar View Post
    When I was a kid, there was a catfish farm connected to that ditch.
    The guy that had that catfish farm attempted to raise his catfish in the warmer water being discharged from the power plant. Sometime in the mid 1970's the power plant shut down for a while during the winter and sudden change in water temperature from the warm water to the cold water killed all his fish. He went out of business after that incident.

ClearCreek

Leave a comment:

• Gar
    replied
    When I was a kid, there was a catfish farm connected to that ditch. An older friend of mine said that he used to catch pickerel as a kid, but I’ve never seen those. I always thought it would be fun if g&p would stock a few hundred trout in there during the fall.

Leave a comment:

• bigjigs
    commented on 's reply
    The species I've seen or caught are gar, channel cat, creek chubs, green sunfish, common and grass carp.

• bigjigs
    replied
    I live less than a block away. There are usually a variety of fish that setup in the hole just on the downstream side of the bridge less than 20 yds where the warm water from the power plant dumps in. I've only walked around in the spring but if I was a fish this time of year I'd think I'd be near the warmest water possible.

Leave a comment:

• samfletcher
    replied
    Gave it a shot. Low water level. Very clear. Lottof fish but they took off like a shot if I got anywhere close. It would probably be a good place for a minnow trap. Better than sitting at home.

Leave a comment:

• Gar
    replied
    It’s a drainage ditch, so water levels and quality varies. When low, the water is clear and the bowfishers pressure the carp so that they’re as skittish as a rabbit in hawk country. It is generally shallow but there are pools that are deceptively deep.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X